Skip navigation

Cheap tools (Machinemart, Docklands) & Compressor info

Back to the top

Cheap tools (Machinemart, Docklands) & Compressor info

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else around London was after some discount "big" tools.

I have been waiting for a while for one of Machinemarts VAT free evenings to come round and have just found out the London Docklands one has a few discount nights the week of Jan 5th 2005.

I believe its 17.5% off Clarke stuff and 10% off everything else. I know the quality of the Clarke stuf ain't always all that, but on the basic stuff (engine stands, hoists) I think they are good enough. I'll be getting a hoist, engine stand, welder and a decent sized pro compressor probably. With the VAT saving it amounts to a fair bit of cash saved :D

I think most machine marts do this kind of thing, so if there is one local to you give them a ring and see when the next one is.

No connection other than a previous satisfied customer and thought it may be of use to someone else if you are considering purchasing a few "big" items.

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Machine Mart aren't bad at all. Some of the Clarke isn't so top quality - but then they aren't top prices. I brought a Clarke compressor which is decently put together and works well. Also brought nice set of wheel ramps - much better quality than Halford ones and cheaper. Think maybe prescision tools (such as spray guns) aren't always so good, but you usually get a reasonable idea from looking at the equipment first.

Before you decide on a welder check out http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/ . Brought a SIP Mig welder of them for over ?100 less than elsewhere. Was priced and looked medium range - when it arrived took two people to lift out the back of van. Turned out to be a semi-professional model  :D

Have fun buying…

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Thanks for the link Mark - which welder did you go for in the end just out of interest?

Unless there is a massive saving I will probably go with something from Machinemart I think.

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top
I went for the SIP 170 Turbo Welder at ?288 (?399 in Halfords). The equivilent Clarke is the 175 TE at ?359. Maybe don't need such a big welder, but has good range and control plus it has big wheels  :lol:

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Their prices are good for welders - even beat the machinemart non VAT price and thats delivered to your door too…. hmmmm.

I was hoping to buy a single phase (i.e. can run off a normal household supply) fairly large belt drive 3hp compressor. I was looking for a free air delivery of somewhere around 10-14 CFM, but the specs on most compressors are confusing…. Machinemart seems to quote quite high figures, whereas SIP for example seem to quote more than one figure, with the normal value being lower than other manufacturers  :? .

I was hoping to be able to get around 14CFM from a 100 litre receiver, one phase 3hp electric compressor (oil lubricated belt drive). According to the Machinemart site this should be possible from some of the Clarke Pro (blue) range of compressors.

However according to the SIP site, similar spec compressors to the Clark Pro ones only seem to put out about 9CFM  :?

Its a big purchase so I want to make sure I get a compressor thats up to the job. I want something that will last if looked after, has spares availability and can run a selection of air tools including an orbital sander and a small spot blasting gun as well as being powerful enough to run a proper spray gun.

I quite like the sound of the SIP 06644 Airmate P3/100 Air Compressor, but it only seems to do 9CFM FAD - is this enough for what I want?

According to the machinemart site though I could get the following Clarke industrial one for less money and it claims to do 14CFM "displacement":

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000110140&r=2009&g=102

If anyone has any recs for a compressor that fits the bill I'm all ears - my budget is about ?350.

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top
Thats the compressor i bought from machine mart when they had a no vat about 3 years ago and its the best seller aswell ,  im :D with it

Back to the top
Chris,
Alpha Pneumatic Supplies at Caterham are pretty good for compressors. Phone 01883 345453 and ask for Andrew, he is very helpfull. Caterham is not too far from S.E.London.Where I work buys compressors & air tools from them.

Ralph.

Back to the top
Thanks Ralph - do they have a website at all with pricing, and what brand of compressors do they stock?

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top
Website is www.nailers.co.uk , the makes they sell vary on type, most are Italian where I think a lot of compressors come from. It may pay you to phone Andrew and see if you can get a deal, say that Ralph at Fixings is a friend. I have a 3hp belt drive with a 100ltr tank and this seems to run most portable tools.

Ralph.

Back to the top
Chris,

Compressor manufacturers quote either FAD (free air delivery) or EAD (effective air delivery) or AD (Air displacement).  

AD is based on the volume of the swept cylinder and speed giving a theoretical 100% volume of shifted air - highest value

FAD is tricky because some suppliers actually quote AD here and call it FAD because it is the higher number, others quote EAD and call it FAD.  if they are sensible they will say FAD (Air displacement) or similar so you know they are actually quoting AD.

EAD is the only sensible comparison between compressors as this should be the real amount or air pumped in a certain amount of time allowing for losses etc which vary by design.

Either way know what you are looking for.

A compressor with EAD of 10cfm might be 13-14cfm AD but depends on design etc.  Anyone quoting FAD of >11cfm for a 3hp single phase unit are probably talking AD!

I got my compressor from these guys and am well happy with it http://www.shiremoorcompressors.co.uk/

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Ralf & Rich -Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated :D.

Rich which brand and model of compressor did you go for in the end? Ralph - same question to you too I guess!!!

I think machinemart are quoting the AD value as it has "displacement" in brackets after it. This probably means their 14CFM machines are actually closer to about 9CFM FAD (Similar to the SIP ones). To be honest I think a lot of these compressors are made in the same factories and just rebranded to suit as is the case with most cheaper tools these days.

Having said that, compressor technology is not exactly rocket science so they are probably all much of a muchness. I really want something preferably on wheels with a receiver not much bigger than 100litres so it remains at least moveable.

Anyone care to comment on my original question about 9CFM FAD being enough to run a sander, spot blaster and a "proper" spraygun for spraying cellulose? Rich - you have done some spraywork - how did your compressor cope?

Cheers again, and keep that info coming!!!

Chris

Back to the top
chris,

I've got a SYLBO EP13/110 - I think that is a 13cfm AD, 110l tank and 2 HP.

It runs most the air tools I have with no problems Air ratchet, impact gun, spraying, DA sander.  The one tool that really taxes it is my die grinder as these really do use a lot of air.

Back to the top
I know it is going off the post subject a bit, but I found the majority of the Clarke stuff to be of very poor quality indeed. I have bought several products over the last few years none of which I have now due to failure.

To name two ; I have had two footpumps that bent! and a 2T trolley jack that couldn't lift a MK1 without blowing its seals. I took it back and they repaired it but it has gone again. It is subsequently residing in the council tip!

I think the prices aren't cheap for what they are.

I know some of you may snigger but I have found Halfords tools of exceptional quality. I was undoing the driveshaft nut (hub end), on the GTI I am breaking, with a large socket and Halfords 1/2" drive with a scaffold pole for extra leverage. No probs and no bending/damage to the socket driver :D .

I am a great believer in the saying you pay for what you get.

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
I think you need to check out each tool "in the flesh" and decide. Yes Clarke do do a lot of crappy stuff, but generally speaking on things like engine hoists, their pro compressor range and their welders they are comparable in quality to other budget makes.

I am a big fan of the Halfords Professional range of tools. Got a very nice low range torque wrench and quite a few of their pro sockets and they take a lot of abuse. Plus if they fail its a lifetime warranty so you can get 'em replaced.

However, like Clarke, some of the cheaper Halfords stuff is also pretty crap. You often do get what you pay for, but you can also pay over the odds for "brand name" tools like Draper and Sealey and still end up with rubbish, but have paid a lot more than at Halfords or the likes of Machinemart.

I think I would be happy buying a Clarke engine hoist or MIG welder, but would probably shy away from some of their other stuff, especially the normal budget tools and power tools.

At the end of the day with the compressor, engine hoist and welder its still going to only really be for occasional use, not day in day out pro workshop use. I can't really justify spending mega bucks when a solid budget version will do just as well.

Cheers,

chris

Back to the top
I think for some of the bigger Clarke stuff it has to be OK from a health and safety point of view. However a mate of mine bought a Clarke engine hoist and the hydrualics went on that pretty soon after he got it. They replaced it and this new one seems to be OK at moment.

AS you say Chris always go with a sturdy guarantee then you can't go far worng. They wouldn't give lifetime guarantees if it was crap they were selling.

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
I know that the Halfords Professional range of tools got the thumbs up and a lot of 1st places in various motoring magazines tool reviews.

I'll certainly be taking a look at them when I update my tools!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I'd definitely recommend them (Halfords Pro).

The price and the fact that they are guaranteed for life are two big plus points imho. As I mentioned the low range torque wrench is excellent, came with a calibration cert and really feels like a quality item.

Get some of them down on your list for Santa  :wink:

Back to the top
Hi,

Was wondering if you bought this compressor Chris ? I am looking to purchase one myself and have found this post to be usefull.

I can't weigh up if its worth spending the cash to get the model you was looking at (SIP 06644) from http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Airmate_Professional.html or if the cheaper model will suit my needs (SIP 06634) http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Airmate_Belt_Driven_.html

The idea is to get a compressor which I can use to spray my GTI and also save on buying power tools as air tools seem to be cheaper.

It's a minefield when you don't know what to look for, any help or advice would be apreciated. It would be a good idea if there was a section where tools could be recommended for specific jobs for us who have little knowledge.

Keep up the good work all on this forum, it's a life saver!!

Back to the top
Hi Rob,

On the compressor front I think the figure you need to be looking at is the free air delivery figure (CFM). For any major league spraying like you are thinking of, or any high consumption air tools (spraying, sanders, spot grit blasters etc), then I think you need to be aiming at the 10+ CFM category.

The confusing thing is that there seem to be several free air delivery figures quoted for compressors. To be on the safe side I would use the lowest quoted figure and make sure it is high enough for your most demanding tool.

A larger tank, whilst bulkier should help reduce the time the compressor needs to be on, and so prolong life and reduce noise.

As a ballpark guide I'd say you need to be looking at a minimum of a 3hp compressor and probably a 50 - 100 litre tank. A lot of the 3hp compressors will probably need a high current power socket available - something like a cooker 30A circuit from your fusebox. Not sure if a normal 13A outlet will be up to the task for the 3hp compressors or not.

To be honest the compressor I bought is just a small one - it can probably cope with light touch up painting using a small gun and maybe some lower powered airtools, but thats about it.

In the future I would like to get a bigger compressor suitable for spraying and sanding, but that won't be for a while  :? I was going to forget about the spraying of larger parts of the car due to lack of any kind of decent sized garage and the toxicity of some of the paint formulations. However, it seems that the latest water based paints may be worth experimenting with and they should be far safer, so we'll see.

Those compressor you linked too look like decent ones although might be a bit borderline for heavy duty spraying.

There are others on the forum with far more extensive experience in this area than me, and I am sure someone will chip in with good advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top
I'd go for the cheaper one unless you plan to run it day in day out.

I got my compressor from Shiremoor Compressors - Quite cheap make was sylbo I think - had for 6+ years and has been used heavily with no problems what so ever.  In fact, it is always on and plugged in so It's ready for use.

Get the biggest tank you can afford, make sure it is single phase and that your domestic power is up to the job and get the highest Free Air Delivery rating - Ignore claims of CFM and max free air delivery

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.