Skip navigation

Welcome to the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club Website!

Back to the top

Welcome to the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club Website!

Welcome to our website!

This is the home of the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club, a club dedicated to the original Volkswagen Golf.

With the focus firmly on restoration, preservation and the classic side of the scene rather than the modification side covered elsewhere, this site will offer the best in advice, guides, history, club events and support for owners and enthusiasts of the original Golf.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Drew, testing my re-registration

It appears to be working!! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi,
Seems to work fine  8)  but I am back to being a newbie  :? .

Chris Cooper
Mk1 in progress

Back to the top
Hi Endor,

If you'd like to volunteer to reset 400+ members posts counts, please do!  :wink: :lol:

By the way, the ranks are as follows

No stars - Newbie - 0 - 19 Posts
- Still Pretty New - 20 - 39 Posts
- Familiar Face - 40 - 79 Posts
- Frequent Poster - 80 - 159 Posts
- Long termer - 160 - 319 Posts
- Premier Contributor - 320+ Posts
- The WebMaster - Me (God, supreme being, root, admin, etc)
- Moderators

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
I seem to be able to register and get in Ok now too  8) .

I like the idea of people being able to contribute articles - should allow the site to quickly build up a lot of reference material for Mk1's (brochures, how-to's etc), without it all falling your shoulders Drew!

Bit disappointed I lose by post count, but take the point about having to update the accounts - I take it there is no way you can run a query on the old user DB and update the post count in the new one for matching usernames?

Has it been decided when the official switch over will be?

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
:D just testing,I take it we have to re-register our user name from the other site?good idea about keeping it to std cars :P

Back to the top
Hello everybody!

I Just joined your Club.

I am Dimitris and i come from Athens Greece.
I just found a 1981 MKI Gti that i inted to buy for about 1.000 €.
The car seems to be completely original having about 100.000 miles.
The only problem i found is some surface rust started to show up in various places such as the trunk, sills and hodledge reinforcement. At this moment the rust doesnt seem to penetrate on the metal this is why i am thinking of bying it. A genuine MK1 is avery rare phenomenon here in Greece as most of those cars got a lot of modifications throughout the years.
Do you think that i should go for it?
Are parts readily available for those cars?
Since now i only had some experience from '70 Japanese cars that are very hard to restore as concerning the parts availability….

Thank you.

Dimitris R

Back to the top
oooh look everyone.. its a race to see who can get the most points and get 5 stars by the end of the month..... :wink:

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
I like it well done Drew ,

looking forward to joining the "club"

chudd4….

Back to the top

DimitrisR said

The car seems to be completely original having about 100.000 miles.
The only problem i found is some surface rust started to show up in various places such as the trunk, sills and hodledge reinforcement. At this moment the rust doesnt seem to penetrate on the metal this is why i am thinking of bying it.
Do you think that i should go for it?
Are parts readily available for those cars?
Since now i only had some experience from '70 Japanese cars that are very hard to restore as concerning the parts availability….

Thank you.

Dimitris R

I think that you should buy this car if you think that you can stop the rust from getting any worse - if you think that the rust is too bad for that, then  be careful as a Golf GTI that is rusting away will break your heart, as it is such a great car in every other way.

Compared to Japanese cars, the parts availability for the Golf Mk1 is very good, but there are parts which cannot be bought new any longer (mostly GTI trim and seats, and some parts of the body), so make sure that the body is  still good, and that the interior hasn't been damaged in the Greek sunshine!

Good luck with it, and welcome to the new site.

Back to the top
Morning all,
Just found the site.

Looks like it could be a good 'un.

Cheers.
 :wink:

Back to the top
Early days, but we're working on it!

Cheers,

Drew,

Back to the top

A big hello....

Hello, I'm just introducing myself,

I've been watching the Campaign register site of a while and trawling the internet for any decent MK1 sites that cater for the ORIGINAL!!!!!

Nice work, good to see it has spread to include those of use without all those Campaign luxuries  :wink: .

Also, hello to Fred from Type17, Geneva if he's on this……….

Back to the top
Hello all, just found out about the new website in one of the classic car mags today. By the way good article on the Mk1 Drew, LOOOKING GOOD AS EVER 8)

FOR SALE:1982 VW Golf 1.8 GTi (VW Classic Green Pearl)

2006 VW Touareg 2.5TDI (Ravenna Blue)Fully loaded

FOR SALE:2003 VW Golf PD150 (Reflex Silver)

172.5bhp/299.1lb ft (standard/no modifications)

1990 BMW M3 (US Model)

www.vagdrivers.net

Back to the top

Finally I registered

Finally i registered, the forum is starting to look good , look forward to making an input, got plenty of questions to ask and hopefully can offer some advice

mk1inbits
MK1 GTI
MK2 GTI
MK3 GTI 16v
MK4 TDI

Back to the top
wow i have just posted on the very first topic on this site!

87 Caddy 16v :o84 Cabby Gti :cool:83 Driver ABF Build :ninja:

Back to the top

Re: Welcome to the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club Website!

drew said

With the focus firmly on restoration, preservation and the classic side of the scene rather than the modification side

Hard to believe that attitude existed only 4 years ago…… I hope modified Mk1s are now welcome equally.

Back to the top

Re: Welcome to the VW Golf Mk1 Owners Club Website!

paul_c said

drew said

With the focus firmly on restoration, preservation and the classic side of the scene rather than the modification side

Hard to believe that attitude existed only 4 years ago…… I hope modified Mk1s are now welcome equally.

Nope!  :posh:  STANDARD is still the word!!!!!  :mrgreen:

From small acorns…….

Back to the top
The club has grown and its hard to say that are very few completely standard cars left, nearly every one has been modified in one way or another

the clubs statement still remains that it's supporting standard cars more so, but i feel its time for  an update and hopefuly 2009 will bring that along.

all cars and specifications are welcomed, plus you dont even have to be a member of the mk1 golf to sign up and join in. The club is also about us all, the people that keep these cars going no matter what state or condition they are in.

Back to the top
I don't think even back then we anticipated 'excluding' modified cars, we just weren't focussed on them as much as elsewhere. At the time there was no resource for standard cars at all and they were either:

a: Not appreciated for what they were
b: Seen as transplant fodder

We always had standard and modified categories for prizes at our meets, and all mk1 Golfs were always welcome.

I'm just as pleased to see a 225bhp 1.8T transplanted Mk1 running on 13" widesteels as I am a 1093cc 'C' in original condition with 30k on the clock…

…but you see far less of the original condition cars! :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.