Skip navigation

No Start, looking for new Starter Motor

Back to the top
rotate teh engine more and look for the 10mm12pt bolts

Yours is a Spoked flexplate.

A spoked flex, allows you to see the torque convertor behind it. Which the solid doesn't and the solid doesn't have rivets showing.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ok, so I couldn't find a new starter but went ahead and changed the solenoid. I also redid the whole hot start relay with new relay and thicker cables, had issues before the fuse got blown when having starter problem. Thought my problems was solved but the other day it wouldn't start, no crank, fuel pump engaging but starter won't activate, at least the fuse doesn't blow. Had to wait about an hour before able to start again. It drives me nuts. 😡

Back to the top
Have you tried the no-start when warm or cold fix.
Be warned that doing this will allow the car to start in gear.

90-93 Automatic Transmission intermittant NO Start Fix - Topless Rabbit Forums

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Have you tried the no-start when warm or cold fix.
Be warned that doing this will allow the car to start in gear.

Hmm guess that's one solution, mines a 91 digifant auto. Look a lot of work to get to the relays or is there a simple way?

Back to the top
Read the link, 2 cuts one Crimp jumper.

Relays are on the knee-bar not in the fuse panel.
You will locate the ignition switch loom on the steering shaft after the shaft covers.  

Un-wind the red/black wire on the relay marked 92 (it is the only large red/black wire on it ) from the loom then route it over the steering column and splice it in to the red and black wire that goes back to the switch. This is only energized at the start switch position, and will allow the Key to then engage the hot start relay, and start your car.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks, then it's a job for a later date. :)

Back to the top
Is it worth installing a button/switch to bypass the relay when needed? Stuck right now, again, hopefully start in an hour...

Back to the top
Took almost three hours yesterday until it would start  😡
Guess I'll have to do this bypass before trying to go for a drive again.

Back to the top
If you place it in Neutral does it start when this happens?

There is the possibility that the Brushes on the side of the selector lever break off and fall over the electric control slider it is then pushed up and under the interlock switch in the park position preventing the contacts from making, as theuy become an insulator.

Cleaning that slider and the upper parts of the slider base usually clears this condition up.  When this happens it will usually start when in Neutral, if it still doesn't start then do the by-pass.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Nope didn't work, tried combinations with parking break on/off and break pedal pressed/depressed.

Back to the top
Time for the Crimp by-pass, and if you don't have the heat soak fix installed it is hi-time that you do that as well.

If you don't have the heat shield surrounding your starter, you need to source one or insulate it with heat resistance thermal wrap.  Even if you have it in stalled you need to install the heat soak relay.

If you want a reliable car (auto's specifically) don't wait.

Heat soak fix.

http://cabby-info.com/Files/InstallingHot-startRelay.pdf

Crimp by-pass fix:

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks, yes have done the heat soak fix and have the heat shield, haven't wrapped it but not sure if that would resolve it. The bypass sounds like the solution. Just need some time removing the kneebar.

Back to the top
You don't have to lower it, find the butt end of the loom on the shaft.  unwind the black red cut the end attach the crimp on the engine side of the loom and then locate the relays on the back side of the knee bar cut the red black wire connect the two and you are good to go.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
F2F5D816-B279-4B39-9BC0-06BAECDD7813.jpeg

Briano1234 said

You don't have to lower it, find the butt end of the loom on the shaft.  unwind the black red cut the end attach the crimp on the engine side of the loom and then locate the relays on the back side of the knee bar cut the red black wire connect the two and you are good to go.

Ok on my way to do the fix today but are a little nervous. Just so I understand you cut the wires and join them togheter with a connector? Tape up the lose ends and that's it?

Like this picture?

Last edit: by SuperDOS

Back to the top
yep

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ok so I thought that this would work since it started from gear and reverse. But now after I took it for a spin it won't start. 😡 starting to think this car is cursed.

Last edit: by SuperDOS

Back to the top
Guess I'll have to try to find a new starter or rebuild the current one. Can't understand what else to try.

Back to the top
Drove for about 30 min today. After parking I tried to start it again, and it worked. Tried a second time, no go, starter not engaging. 😔

Back to the top

No Start, looking for new Starter Motor

I had similar trouble with my auto, after rebuilt starter motor and heat soak relay, it turned out to be the actual ignition switch itself. Replaced that and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

jazzydog said

I had similar trouble with my auto, after rebuilt starter motor and heat soak relay, it turned out to be the actual ignition switch itself. Replaced that and all is well.

jazzydog said

I'll 2nd that, many moons on a manual 1.3 Driver had symptoms of a duff/dying starter motor but frigging the wiring alsways ran the motor.

Think back then was less than tenner at main dealer for the switch under the ign lock. Pretty easy to swap, ignore the cobblers in the Hyanes book of lies about drilling the steering lock.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.