Skip navigation

Horn stalling car...help!

Back to the top
Yep did that Steve and the engine stalled

Back to the top
Now do the same for the positive, battery positive to black/yellow. You'll need to press the horn. Does it still stall?

Back to the top
Aha!! Horn worked and did not stall the car

Back to the top
Ok, you are either getting voltage drop on circuit 15, which you bypassed with earlier test. Could still be the issue though. I have also seen weird things like components (horns for example) that send frequency spikes up the wires. This can effect electronics(fuel pump relay for example). Try connecting one horn, if it still stalls, swap it for the other horn. This will rule out if a horn is the culprit.

Back to the top
Ok, so I tried each individual horn whilst I had the jumper cable attached to the positive battery terminal and the live horn wire. Each horn works fine and the car does not stall.
If I remove the jumper cable and try each horn, they both stall the carO_o

Back to the top

DUBnutter said

Ok, so I tried each individual horn whilst I had the jumper cable attached to the positive battery terminal and the live horn wire. Each horn works fine and the car does not stall.
If I remove the jumper cable and try each horn, they both stall the carO_o

Run a new (fused) wire from battery to the horn.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Do the horns sound different when you put a separate power to them? Do they sound better or the same? The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to check the power supply to the horns. Remove fuse 16, is it corroded, is it pushed in properly? Check the terminal c13 (yellow plug) on the back of the fusebox.

Back to the top
Might have to at this rate! Would I need any particular gauge of wire? I've never done anything like this lol

Back to the top
Checked the fuse, totally fine no corrosion and seated properly. Will check the yellow plug in a bit, are you thinking a wire might of come loose from behind the fuse box?

Back to the top
Loose, corroded. Look at the yellow connector when it's pulled out. You see it's numbered. Look for pin13 black/yellow.

Back to the top
That was awkward! Got the yellow plug out but nothing was corroded or loose, traced the wire to the bulkhead but there were no kinks or breaks in the wire that I could see. Started the car but it stalled as soon as I pressed the horn.

If I made a fused wire from the battery positive to the live on the horn, are there any potential problems that could happen?

Back to the top
No you would be fine as long you disconnected the the live that's already there or pull the fuse. If you don't you will be constantly powering your ignition circuit. I would hold off just for now though. Loads mor3 stuff to try 😝

Back to the top
If I was to do it I would probably just pull the fuse!

What else can we try? I’m not good with electrics but we must be almost out of options now lol:lol:I could just keep an air horn in the car and use that when people cut me up:lol:

Back to the top
I think it's best to go back to basics. Find out what's causing the engine to stall. You could check the fuel pump and relay are not dropping out. Check you are not losing power to the coil. Have you got a multimeter?

Back to the top
No multimeter unfortunately but I can borrow one no probs.
I would defo need a walkthrough though as I’ve never used one lol

Such a weird problem in that it only affects one thing on the car? Everything else works perfectly.
Cant wait to try and put in a stereo and speakers- that’s going to be fun:'(

Back to the top
I'll run you through some checks. It's a shame you weren't local. It's easier to do than explain, if that makes sense. Look on the bright side, the more you mess the more you learn. Give me a shout when you have a meter and the time. :)

Back to the top
Whereabouts are you from Steve? I’m near Peterborough but don’t mind pootling about to get stuff fixed!
My Golfs only done about 500 miles in 10 years of ownership so going for a drive is probably a good idea lol

Back to the top
I'm in Stoke on Trent mate. A fair distance away.

Back to the top
Yeah that would be quite a drive. We can call that plan B, I will get a multimeter and see what we can do:thumbs:

Back to the top
Just a big shout out and thank you to everyone who is helping with this problem:thumbs:Such a good forum with great members:thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.