Skip navigation

Fuel flooding metering head then sump

Back to the top

It's already been said, but you shouldn't get any fuel to the injectors with the flap at rest.
The gap in the round the edge of flap should be even. It won't be the cause of the issue, but I've taken some pics of how it should be set up according to Mr Haynes.

PXL_20210306_213850913.jpg

PXL_20210306_213912491.jpg

I'd suggest your easiest and quickest course of action is to get the known good unit and swap it out.
In my opinion k-jet is a good system but it can be time consuming and fiddly to troubleshoot. Although there are plenty of threads covering all the tests, but to do it properly you'll need a fuel pressure test kit.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Oh, and I don't think the 5th injector will work unless the coil is connected and the proper fuel pump relay is in place.

Back to the top
I never got into fiddling with the internals of a metering head so I can't really advise much more. £200 sounds about right for a working secondhand one. I've seen rebuild kits on eBay for about £60-70.

Back to the top
sensor plate.jpg the sensor plate on this has an even gap
all round when a light is under the plate

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
if the plunger in the centre of the metering head
is stuck in the up position that will let the fuel go
directly to the injectors in my view

Back to the top
plunger in resting position 20210307_101431.jpg

Back to the top
Thanks Paul that's great….is there a way I can alter the plates positioning I'm sure I read somewhere you can?
I'll take the fuel dist off and see what's going on with the plunger. Is there a safe way I can free it if its stuck without dismantling it all?
I am tempted to just throw £200 at this new unit just waiting to hear back from the seller that it is definitely working

1991 Mk1 Golf GTi Rivage 1.8cc
113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
20210307_105836.jpg

Back to the top
20210307_110614.jpg

Back to the top
20210307_110747.jpg

Back to the top
last picture probably only seal to let fuel
into the airbox

Back to the top
Yeh cheers mate. Paceman sent me a resealing video and feel confident I can split it down and do it. But if there is other probs with metering head plate etc dunno wether to just bite bullet and buy the second hand unit for £200 and just hope that's all in good working order

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
forgot to add 20210307_113246.jpg

Back to the top
half an hour 20210307_113935.jpg

Back to the top
i would not be spending 200 quid
before taking it apart give it a shot
you have nothing to lose

Back to the top

golf_cab_gti said

Yeh cheers mate. Paceman sent me a resealing video and feel confident I can split it down and do it. But if there is other probs with metering head plate etc dunno wether to just bite bullet and buy the second hand unit for £200 and just hope that's all in good working order

not much in there really

Back to the top
Yeh thank you for responding. Seems alot of springs etc but feel I can do it. I'm not as mechanically minded as most of you lot definitely but will do things I feel comfortable with. The gap in my metering head plate concerns me and dont want to go to the hassle of resealing my fuel dist if the gap in the plate cannot be resolved

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
I think you just loosen the nut off, re-centre it then tighten it again? Have you tried this?

Back to the top

golf_cab_gti said

Yeh thank you for responding. Seems alot of springs etc but feel I can do it. I'm not as mechanically minded as most of you lot definitely but will do things I feel comfortable with. The gap in my metering head plate concerns me and dont want to go to the hassle of resealing my fuel dist if the gap in the plate cannot be resolved

Have a look at the Haynes pics I posted - they deal with how to make adjustments to the flap.
The control plunger can be removed without spliting the metering head. Remove it from the top of the airbox, turn it over, and you'll see a metal washer with a bent over piece - that bit is there to stop the plunger falling out. bend that out of the way and the plunger should fall out, but it probably won't. As has been suggested, the plunger is probably stuck as the car has been sat for a while. Spray some brake cleaner at the control plunger, and in the top central output on the metering head - this will dissolve any fuel gum, then with air pressure applied to the same top central output, it should push out. Don't try and force it as they are precisely machined to the bore. Once out, give it a good clean with brake cleaner and a rag (nothing abraisive). It should slide in an out out relatively easily. There is a spring on the top to keep it 'out', and the plate arm pushes it in the increase fuel pressure when running.

Back to the top
Update.

Inbetween finishing work and bathing kids lol, I have removed the fuel distributor from the metering head and the plunger is free to move by touch. I thought the bent over bit may be the reason for the leak but after rereading the thread I believe it should actually be there. From this are we assuming that the fuel distributor needs resealing with a reseal kit? Cant think of another reason for it to leak into the airbox?

The metering head plate can be adjusted (different to the Haynes manual you posted paceman that was for a CIS) adjusted by the screw (red arrow in pic) and the bolt that actually holds the plate in. It does seem quite a gap to close up tho.

Seen as the plunger is not stuck….I'm still at a loss as to why the injectors spirt without lifting the plate up. Does a badly sealed fuel dist cause that…or the large gap in the air plate?

Sorry for the long winded msg…as always any help greatly appreciated 20210308_182157.jpg 20210308_184804.jpg

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.