Skip navigation

Importing parts from Europe - brave new world

Back to the top

Campaigning for Dave said

chortle said

Having the same debate with a mate today.
I’ve just bought some gear from my supplier in Germany and he didn’t charge VAT which is 19% in Germany.
Only thing he added was postage.
When the stuff got here I was hit with import VAT and a £12.00 handling admin charge.
Parcel force state that they act as tax agents and pay on your behalf any tax or duty owed to the government.
You then have to repay Parcel force before they will deliver your goods.
I’ve yet to sit down and work out what the VAT rate is.
I’d of thought it’d be the rate from the country of purchase and not the arrival.
My understanding is that no VAT should be charged from the source country as the end user isn’t there.
But should be paid in the destination country.
So if that’s the case we pay 20% instead of Germany 19% rate and add the handling fees.
The EU sets VAT at between 15 and 25%.
But it’s up to the members satiate to set their own.
If they want to set above the 25% limit then they need permission from Brussels.
Ironically VAT was introduced as taxation levy equivalence when joining the EU.
So in theory being as we are out VAT should be scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Really interesting that it seems to be catching up. When I purchased a few bits of stainless from a well known exhaust manufacturer I questioned them on the VAT that I was being charged at the time of purchase as in theory I could have been charged upon arrival too. I wasn't charged this end so didn't worry but if I had been charged I'd have paid 20% on the original price in country plus a further 20% on the ongoing total that could have totalled over 40% of the base price of the item. I.e. if the product cost £20+20%VAT I would pay £24 to the European supplier. When it lands in the UK I could again be hit by 20% plus handling fee. Not sure if I'd pay 20% on the running total or 20% of the original base price minus the selling counties VAT? Anybody's head spinning yet? 

According to Wikipedia it should be UK 20% on the sale price. Note, not sure if the consumer is in a different country/trade agreement (as we now are) it still works like this?
"VAT is usually implemented as a destination-based tax, where the tax rate is based on the location of the consumer and applied to the sales price. "

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Ok so the system finally caught up. I bought a Bauhaus lamp from Germany and the seller shipped it with UPS. I paid £220 for it so was pretty shocked when UPS contacted me to let me know that I'd need to pay £72 before it could be delivered. I expected that I may have to pay VAT and could just about swallow their fee but the amount still doesn't add up. I called them a number of times and eventually got through on my fourth attempt after sitting on hold for 45 minutes. I didn't get to the bottom of it so have now emailed for a complete breakdown of costs. 

Interestingly everything I've received from other shippers since Jan has glided straight through. 

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top
Had similar experience with UPS be careful with phoning them, cost me another £11 in phone charges.

Back to the top

Carl Jones said

Had similar experience with UPS be careful with phoning them, cost me another £11 in phone charges.
 Yes all a bit of a nightmare. Feels slightly like they're trying to capitalise on Brexit by charging ridiculous fees - we have your parcel and if you want it you'll have to pay or we'll send it back and charge you the return shipping too. I'm now asking sellers who they'll ship with prior to purchasing.

Back to the top
After another phone call I managed to prize the customer services email out of them which is below.

custscgben@ups.com

And cc'd this too

ukpostclear@ups.com

Back to the top
Mrs Early sent a gift (perfume) to the Netherlands and her sister had to pay Dutch VAT before the courier would hand it over.

Mrs Early phoned the UK supplier (not the courier) who said no thats wrong the courier shouldn't have charged anything….

So there is either some scamming and profiteering going on or the Free Trade Agreeement isn't free

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.