Skip navigation

Steering geometry

Back to the top
I'd forget about the number of turns with the track rod ends. Only really matters when just replacing an end with a new one. And then only if they are exactly the same.

Have you had a measure of the length of the new arms vs the old ones?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Well going to admit defeat !! Spent another hour tinkering tonight.

I'm going to get 2 new Febi track rods which c/w ends. These defo are supplied for Mk1. 

I can only summarise that the new track rods I've been supplied are wrong in some way - they are way too long (wonder if mk2 golf ?) . Even with adjustments made there are to the more or less absolute max - with little or no adjustment. 

See if I can my money back on those 🤔

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
Ok went back the invoice for the supply of the track rods.

And..,,, they supplied Mk2 Golf track rods!! My fault for not checking at the time. Reordered some Febi Mk1 ones and hey presto all fitted  today - thanks for the help guys  2DBA2F0A-C980-400F-9160-F6DAF86C19F0.jpeg

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
Wahoo  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Who knew that Geometry was such a tough math issue.
Then compound that with incorrect numbers/parts….. :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Well I feel a bit of a tool !! School boy error.

It's a case of thinking outside the box when there's nothing else to go on - at least alls well that ends well.

Onto the next curve ball this restoration will no doubt throw at me 😉

Back to the top
I found about 20-30% of parts sent will be wrong. They seem to rely on people not sending stuff back when its wrong, otherwise their returns/refunds would be horrendous and quickly go out of business.

Back to the top
Glad you found out the problem, can be a problem with wrong parts, my 1988 Mk1 golf cabriolet quite often lists up parts for Mk2 golfs....

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.