Skip navigation

No main headlights

Back to the top

rubjonny said

you mean the ignition switch wiring?

black is ignition live to fusebox and also cluster, red/black is starter cranking live, red is live, black/yellow is x-relief live which is on with ignition and dead while cranking, grey if there is parking lights, live ignition off

for the cluster plug if you check between the red and brown you should see permanent live, black to brown ignition live
Sorry pal I mean this picture all looks good to go fingers crossed' I've plugged in all cables now  so just connect the battery and see where we are ahhh
IMG_1822.JPG

Back to the top

okmate said

rubjonny said

you mean the ignition switch wiring?

black is ignition live to fusebox and also cluster, red/black is starter cranking live, red is live, black/yellow is x-relief live which is on with ignition and dead while cranking, grey if there is parking lights, live ignition off

for the cluster plug if you check between the red and brown you should see permanent live, black to brown ignition live
Sorry pal I mean this picture all looks good to go fingers crossed' I've plugged in all cables now  so just connect the battery and see where we are ahhh
IMG_1822.JPG

The black cable you see is earth your scaring me now?

Back to the top
black wires from the ignition switch are ignition live, one straight to fusebox and a trhin one to the clocks.

brown wires are pretty much always earth in a VW loom

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

black wires from the ignition switch are ignition live, one straight to fusebox and a trhin one to the clocks.

brown wires are pretty much always earth in a VW loom

Before I resoldered the black cable I done a continuity test to earth it was confirmed ' need to double check these now I'm worried

Back to the top
if you do an earth check on live/ignition etc often you will see it as somewhere in the circuit something will have a path to ground through it.

for example if you tested for earth at a wire going off to the headlights you'll see continuity to ground through the bulbs :)

Back to the top
there's 2 wires coming from the ignition plug' 1 going to the loom and 1 going to the speedo loom' they both have continuity to earth.

Just want to double check before I connect the battery' I've manage to solder all bad connections and reused the original spades' I've then heat shrink and wrapped with loom tape

Back to the top
yes you cant really do earth continuity checks to dest for dead shorts, because like i say you'll often see path to earth through components.

you could unplug the red and blue fusebox plugs to isolate the black wire and try again, but to test for shorts to other wires you would have to do a continuity check between black and every other wire in the same harness

best bet is a visual check of the black wire end to end really

Back to the top
Well Thanks to Brianno and rubjonny the job is complete,

All works great guys even the original problem with the headlights.

Ive a few other things to do now the clocks are out' like the radio switched live' which i shall do tomorrow and the cigar lighter' but will start a new  post for that

Thanks ever so much guys' i'm really glad i took the clocks out and repaired those terrible connections.

;)   ;)  ;)  ;)

Back to the top
great news! well done for fixing all that horrible mess :)

Back to the top

okmate said

Ive a few other things to do now the clocks are out' like the radio switched live' which i shall do tomorrow and the cigar lighter' but will start a new  post for that

Thanks ever so much guys' i'm really glad i took the clocks out and repaired those terrible connections.

;)   ;)  ;)  ;)

I have a how-to int he archive section on cleanign your cigarette lighter to make it work….

connect a 9v battery to the gray/blue wire on the light and the negative to the brown if it don't light the bulb is bad.

There is a how to change the bulb in cabby-info.com.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

okmate said

;)   ;)  ;)  ;)

I have a how-to int he archive section on cleanign your cigarette lighter to make it work….

connect a 9v battery to the gray/blue wire on the light and the negative to the brown if it don't light the bulb is bad.

There is a how to change the bulb in cabby-info.com.

Cant seem to find them Brianno123

Back to the top
Okay here is the link that I was referring to for some reason I can't reply to your private post, and well sometimes I forget to post new ones to augment my how-to's I blame my Oldtimers Disease, or CRS Can't Remember Spit* *(insert the proper  evacuated waste word of your choosing).

My Cigarette lighter won't charge my Ipad, Iphone. | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Whilst that tells you how to fix a funky working lighter, I have since removed them and used a USB jack in it's place as well Cigar's and Cigarettes are bad for you and you shouldn't be smoking, as my kids were using them for USB Aux thingies… and constantly it wouldn't work for my lighter to ignite my Stoogies.  I bought a windproof Butane..

Wait, it is there…… I have the screen snap, please ignore the latest posting edit time it is wrong.
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 2.40.26 PM.png

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.