Skip navigation

Water pump pulley catching plastic cam belt cover!?!?!

Back to the top
I cant find a part number on the pulley unfortunately.  

I am unsure whether there is any difference in the pulley for 1.6 or 1.8 engines ??  

In the VW parts list TWO pulleys are listed for non PAS/aircon models:
026121031    - 1.6 (EW) (HN)
049121031 -   1.6 (EG,EM,,FR) & 1500 (GH, JB) 1.8 (DX, JJ)

All UK suppliers only sell 026121031 - so is this suitable for the 1.8 DX engine ???

Anyone know if there is any difference between the pulleys?

Back to the top
026121031 is only for those 2 codes of MK1 engine according to ETKA, but its also used on mk2 golf 1.6-1.8 as well. 049 number you should be using, but I cant see any reason the 026 number wouldn't work.

looking at google images of them both look basically the same, but maybe, possibly the 049 isnt quite as deep?

next step I recon check how the v-blet is lining up with the crank, if theres enough wiggle room space the pulley out so it clears the timing belt. or replace waterpump.

hopefully someone has a spare pump they can measure between pump fitting and block bolt hose so you can compare

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks rubjonny.

I have today taken off the metal top and plastic lower cam belt cover.

Fitting the lower pulley and the water pump pulley they are definitely out of alignment.  The water pump pulley is set too far back by a few mm.  

I still have the old VW water pump I took off - part number: VW 056 121 013A

If I measure from the mounting hole on the pump to the face of the output flange - the VW original is 2mm longer.  However even with this original pump and the original pulley it was still rubbing on the lower plastic cam cover.

I reckon the best option is to replace the lower cam cover and the water pump pulley with the 026121031 pulley.  The MEYLE pump is brand new so hope not to have to replace that as well!

Back to the top
The pulley on my car rubs the case ever so slightly and has worn a small groove, I just put it down to aftermarket parts.
I've had a rummage in the shed and found another pulley, this one measures 36mm from top ,to bottom when laid on a flat surface, the one on the car appears to measure 33mm. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a part number but I'll give it a clean up tomorrow and if there is one will let you know.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.