Skip navigation

Water pump pulley catching plastic cam belt cover!?!?!

Back to the top
Rebuilding my engine.

When I came to fit the water pump pulley to the new (Meyle) water pump - I find that the pulley catches/rubs on the plastic lower cam belt cover…..

I am sure the plastic cam belt cover is properly seated and there is no tolerance for alignment on the water pump bolts.  I can see clear witness marks from where the pulley has been rubbing the plastic previously.

Anyone had the same issue.

I note in the forum guide the same problem occurred.  They used some washers between the water pump flange and the rear of the pulley to gain enough clearance.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=how-to_2%2Fguide-changing-your_7

Step 40 - My new pump made the pulley sit too close to the timing cover so I had to space it with washers as shown

I would have thought this would have put the v-belt pulleys out of alignment and caused a problem with the belt - either noise/increased wear.

Advice greatly welcomed.

DSCN1061.JPG

DSCN1062.JPG

DSCN1063.JPG

Clear evidence of previous rubbing
DSCN1060.JPG

Back to the top
I have never seen a water pump shaft that extended out that far from the Pump.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.07.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.04.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 3.05.20 PM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Not quite sure what you mean Briano.

The pump is a MEYLE: part number 037 121 0101C which is correct for the 1.8DX

Piccy of the water pump.  

DSCN1065.JPG

Back to the top
see the flange that the pulley bolts to on the waterpump, this is actually a press fit on the main shaft on a genuine pump. what it looks like is the flange has been pressed onto the shaft slightly too far, or if its one piece has been incorrectly manufactured.

to check this  fit the v-belt and see if the waterpump pulley is sat too far in compared to the crank pulley

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
actually that might be the power steering pump I'm thinking of…

either way fir the v-belt and check its alignment. if its offset too close to the block the waterpump is incorrectly made so you need to send it back or pack the pulley out with a spacer to fix the problem

Back to the top
also whats the part numbers on the waterpump  pulley and the plastic timing belt cover

Back to the top
Water pump: 037 121 010C
Cam cover: 049 109 175

Back to the top
The MEYLE part number on my water pump 037 121 010C shows it it is comparable with the following part numbers, including 037 121 101A which the parts list confirms is the correct pump for my DX.

OEN 026 121 010 – VW
OEN 026 121 010 C – VW
OEN 026 121 010 F – VW
OEN 037 121 010 – VW
OEN 037 121 010 A – VW
OEN 037 121 010 B – VW
OEN 037 121 010 BX – VW
OEN 037 121 010 C – VW

Do the water pump pulleys vary?  
I see the parts list number for the DX engine is 049121031 - but other engines have different part numbers???

I see Mark at CVW sells Water Pump Pulley, 026121031 which is only for the EW/HN engines?

Heritage sell the same pulley stating for 1.6/1.8 models??

Any advice very greatly appreciated.

Back to the top
pump part number is fine, whats the part number on your pulley?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

see the flange that the pulley bolts to on the waterpump, this is actually a press fit on the main shaft on a genuine pump. what it looks like is the flange has been pressed onto the shaft slightly too far, or if its one piece has been incorrectly manufactured.

to check this  fit the v-belt and see if the waterpump pulley is sat too far in compared to the crank pulley

Thanks Rub, I couldn't explain the reasoning for the extended shaft….I guess.. but that was what I was implying….. I have never had an issue with Water Pump Scraping the Covers, so I was inferring to the water pump mount being in the wrong position… which you nailed…for my lack of explanation… I suspect that with the correct pulley remover he could get it out a few mm to clear to make things happen…

Also if it has a plastic impeller you might want to exchange it for a metalic one.  

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
no worries I thought thats what you were getting at :)

its worth a look at the other bits but I recon you're on the money with incorrect offset on the pump just doesnt look right

Back to the top
Meyle pumps have a metal impeller as I fitted one A couple of years ago.

I had a similar problem with slight rubbing on plastic cover theres a little movement when bolting it down and I still had a cut a little grove out of the cover to stop it rubbing. The belts been fine for the last couple of years

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I have a Meyle water pump also, fortunately I don't have any rubbing.  However, if the rub is only slight, could you not just put a packing washer under the pulley at each bolt location just to space it out enough to clear the cover?  I doubt this would affect the alignment of the belt too much.

5da7a527b052e.jpg

Back to the top
why not fit the belt cover correctly
instead of doing a bodge job

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Looking at it more and a bit more that doesn't look like the right pulley…. Get the pulley number, and then look up your engine on the ETKA for the correct pulley.
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Thanks rub

I've been away from the car for few a days so intend to check this alignment 1st thing in the morning.  

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Meyle pumps have a metal impeller as I fitted one A couple of years ago.

I had a similar problem with slight rubbing on plastic cover theres a little movement when bolting it down and I still had a cut a little grove out of the cover to stop it rubbing. The belts been fine for the last couple of years

Certainly seems to be a problem a few people have - with rubbing.  I will check the pulley alignments tomorrow.

Back to the top

Pistol said

I have a Meyle water pump also, fortunately I don't have any rubbing.  However, if the rub is only slight, could you not just put a packing washer under the pulley at each bolt location just to space it out enough to clear the cover?  I doubt this would affect the alignment of the belt too much.

5da7a527b052e.jpg

Thanks Pete  I will check tomorrow on alignment etc.  However having fitted a brand new quality pump, and having taking great time and care refitting all the parts like the plastic cam guard I surely the pulley should not catch.  Unfortunately I cant find a part number on the pulley - maybe that is at fault?

Back to the top

nicci21paul said

why not fit the belt cover correctly
instead of doing a bodge job

I thought the belt cover was fitted correctly and I certainly don't want to have a bodge job!  

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Looking at it more and a bit more that doesn't look like the right pulley…. Get the pulley number, and then look up your engine on the ETKA for the correct pulley.
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

As mentioned above I cant find a part number on the pulley unfortunately.  

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.