Skip navigation

Golf GL

Back to the top

Golf GL

Then got a bit side tracked helping Barry with his mk2, syncro 1.8t build. Really enjoyed the fabrication work on this.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Golf GL

Then got very distracted with the new mk2

Back to the top

Golf GL

Back to the top

Golf GL

Once the distractions we're over with I got back into the Mk1 and started with the bodywork. As a beginner this I wasn't quite sure I could tackle this myself but some after starting with some of the easier panels I eventually started to get some comfortable with it.

Marked out the dings, dents and sanded it with some 120 grit before adding some filler. Then sanded that down working my way from 120, 240 to 320.

Back to the top
Wow, there's a lot of cool stuff going on with this thread!! Loving all the projects - can't wait to see those panels sprayed up :thumbs:

Back to the top

Re:

G-Dog said

Wow, there's a lot of cool stuff going on with this thread!! Loving all the projects - can't wait to see those panels sprayed up :thumbs:
More like to many distractions

Getting close to primer which I'm looking forward to.

Thanks for the comment.

Back to the top
Keep on going! Lots of work going on in your workshop!

Back to the top

Golf GL

Been a while since I updated this thread. There have been some major changes to the Mk1 with the bodywork side of things. Started to get some of the panels into primer and started prepping the shell for primer also. Hours and hours of work and late nights but glad I stuck at it in end.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Shell was eventually out into primer however I wasn't happy with some areas it was going to affect the overall finish. I put this down to inexperience but had the time to fix them so went back and started again on the areas that's needed refining these included both rear arches, scuttle panel and the fuel filler area.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Decided to start with what I thought would be the easiest part the scuttle panel. Little did I know my OCD would take over and turn into a 3 week ordeal After stripping back to bare metal I found an old repair. I presume the old filler had reacted with the primer causing it to crack so removed the old stuff and had to reshape the contours on the scuttle panel. Eventually I got to a stage where I was happy. Looks simple but far from it.

Drivers arch was up next and similar to the scuttle the contours where the arch lines curves wasn't right so has to go right back and get the panel flat and the curvature right on the arch. Using a combination of round bars I was able be sculpt out an even curved line for the arch. Also important to feel the panel by hand to pick out your highs and lows. Clear to see why this year's years of practice and alot of patience but got to a stage where the rear panel was nice and flat and there were no bubbles in the arch line.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Next up was the passenger side arch. Again similar to the driver's side I first had to pic out the highs and lows to get the rear quarter as flat as possible then concentrated on the arch contour to smooth it all out and get it even. Took some time but got there in the end.

Final piece of the puzzle was the fuel filler area. I did weld in a replacement panel as the old one had rotted out but the shape wasn't quite right. But of shaping and time and got the repair close to oem with the filler cap sitting snug inside so was happy with the end result.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Don't have too many pictures but once body work was done and the repair sections were back in primer I let it sit for a week to settle in case they further areas needed attention. Luckily all was good so onto flattening the panels for paint. I used guide coat to help identify the high and low spots so stand down even. Took a bit of time but in the end of everything nice and flat.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Then the big day finally arrived a week before Christmas. After 2 years the Mk1 was finally back out of the shed and on its way for a fresh coat of paint. Very nervous and exciting day but a milestone moment for the build.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Back from paint, right decision to stick with the original colour and now the rebuild can begin

Back to the top
Busy Xmas then mate  :lol:  Well done, really coming together - yoiu've got some attention to detail on those small areas. Great work

Back to the top

Re:

G-Dog said

Busy Xmas then mate    Well done, really coming together - yoiu've got some attention to detail on those small areas. Great work
Very busy and alot of late nights but well worth it. Thanks for the comment really looking forward to the next stage

Back to the top

Golf GL

After getting the Mk1 back from paint it was finally time to start building it back up. Custom made headliner was installed along with some of the interior trim and new door seals. On the exterior it was time to get the panels back on and get the final bits wired up.

Back to the top

Golf GL

First test run in the Mk1 went very well. Great to finally get this out on the road after nearly two years. Few small items to sort out but nothing major. New bonnet was also shipped at this time. Fitment was very good from vwheritage before being sent over for final paint and touch up.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Last piece of the puzzle was the interior. New foam and material to complement the  subtle exterior. Very happy with how this turned out.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Final detail.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.