Skip navigation

Exhaust Upgrade

Back to the top

Looking for advice on best Exhaust system upgare for 1.8

Excellent, thanks for that, I’ll head that way as your system looks just what I’m after for my cabby 

Back to the top
Tell the guy with the red Mk1 convertible sent you down they might sort u out. They are really good there, they will make want you want them to and will let your head noise level before welding up

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

Mine is in right now having manifold surgery. Exhaust parts are being ordered for complete fitting next week. If you can get to Birmingham area your more than welcome to look at it when I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks gents, really great advice here as always.

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

So update on my exhaust. I am now scared for the final bill.

Exhaust manifold studs were incorrect and someone had fitted 6mm bolts where the 8mm studs were using inserts. Cross threaded into the head. All now replaced with new studs and correct copper manifold bolts. The manifold I had was not correct (ooppps) and had to be machines on the two centre branches to fit.

1 1/2 days extra labour.  Ouch that is going to hurt.  On the upside all repairs and fitted. Flex pipe fabricated onto the down pipe exist and 5 inch rear silencer now in place, down from the normal 6inch to allow some room. New rubbers being fitted and fabrication continues.

Hopefully ready Tuesday or Wednesday next week (being worked on between other jobs to help keep costs down)

Will let everyone know soon.

My learning from this is that I am lucky I took it to someone who knows what they are doing. I am using a garage that fabs exhausts not an exhaust fabricators who don’t generally know much about how to work on cars are they see themselves as welders not mechanics.

Wish me luck

Back to the top
Good luck!!

It will all be worth it in the end and i‘m looking forward to seeing the results. These old cars just spring surprise after surprise when you first get them, I was looking forward to driving mine all weekend when after the first start for 3 weeks whilst I was on holiday the fuel pump expires and leaks all over my driveway!

That stopped top down driving this weekend!

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

So still not back yet grrrrr

Spoke to them and waiting on some hangers to be delivered and fitted. All the exhaust is done though just needs hanging.

Collecting Monday or Tuesday - yea.  

Find out a cost on Monday. Whoaaaa

Will get pictures and then taking to chateaux impney next Saturday to watch the hill climb. Will be its first outing with the new exhaust.

Back to the top
Glad i just bought mine from Germany for £175 , £550 is a lot of money for an exhaust of any sort , that's the cost of a vintage miltek DFE6A8E8-F2C9-420D-95F1-3A7C28BD8E8F.jpeg 09E1540E-523A-41B4-A200-CF94AC304DE1.jpeg

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

Yeah. Got it back today and sounds amazing head over to my Instagram to ‘backinblackw’ for a listen.

Wow that was an effort uploading all them

Back to the top
Looks good, sounds great also, dare I ask what the final bill was after the extra surgery?

Back to the top
Well that's the painful part. £670 in the end. But looking round three or 4 fabricators they all wanted 900 without even touching the manifold so overall I think it's really fair. And I love the sound. 🙉

Back to the top
Ouch! But worth it if it lasts forever and makes you smile every time the loud pedal is pressed!

Back to the top
Ooooof that's a big bill

Had a listen and it sounds nice though

As long as your happy that is all that matters at the end of the day  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

So a little update. Do not touch. This thing gets red hot compared to a standard unit.  I have my 4 branches wrapped but I think I may need to wrap the whole thing up to the silencer.

Normally you can touch the final pipe when ticking over but this is savage.

How much wrapping has anyone else done?

Back to the top
Seriously? 😂 stainless or even mild steel exhausts get silly hot regardless

The purpose to wrapping the manifold down pipes is to stop them melting your steering rack gaiters

The rest of the pipe should be in the air being cooled

Top tip of the day, don't touch hot exhaust pipes kids  :lol: 👍🏻

Back to the top

Exhaust Upgrade

Haha yea I know but I literally went round the housing estate which is about 1/4 of a mile. If they go to the shops it will be cherry red in no time. Hahaha.

Back to the top
On my side , i can talk about RC Racing (Iresa) complete exhaust with 4/1 header ,

Great sound , not excessive , stainless steel , quality of the welding ,

I've had mounted this brand on my convertible , and i 've mounted exactly the same on my GTI 1800 .

LIGHTER IS  FASTER !!!

Back to the top

One seven one said

Glad i just bought mine from Germany for £175 , £550 is a lot of money for an exhaust of any sort , that's the cost of a vintage miltek DFE6A8E8-F2C9-420D-95F1-3A7C28BD8E8F.jpeg 09E1540E-523A-41B4-A200-CF94AC304DE1.jpeg

Hi,
Can you send me the suppliers details, I'm just starting a full resto and will be putting a ss exhaust on it, thanks.

Back to the top
No problem the guys i got it from are on eBay and trade as www.*car-solution*.de

They have loads of variations for Mk1 golfs both cabriolet and hardtop

Lots of size bores and mixed bore sizes and 4 branches with flex i built in for less than £150 which is amazing when you see the quality of them

the pipes are all Powersprint (who supply and sponsor the berg cup cars) so are very nice quality and sound

I opted for the original shaped back box with 60mm outlet the rest of the system is 45mm which fits straight on the stock pipework and no over axle knocking

Look em up 👍🏻

Back to the top

Re:

One seven one said

No problem the guys i got it from are on eBay and trade as www.*car-solution*.de

They have loads of variations for Mk1 golfs both cabriolet and hardtop

Lots of size bores and mixed bore sizes and 4 branches with flex i built in for less than £150 which is amazing when you see the quality of them

the pipes are all Powersprint (who supply and sponsor the berg cup cars) so are very nice quality and sound

I opted for the original shaped back box with 60mm outlet the rest of the system is 45mm which fits straight on the stock pipework and no over axle knocking

Look em up
Thanks mate I'm also after one for my 1990 cabby .il check that out

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.