Skip navigation

My 1990 Gti Cabby project

Back to the top

Saving another Mk1 how much will this one cost me lol

So i brought this 1990 Gti cabby in Paprika red last week, last owner had it 4 years and never used it!! It was either outside and covered over or parked in a workshop
someone slashed the roof trying to break into it at some point, why not just break a window? Lol

this is the 8th Mk1 i have Owned now, and the 3rd Mk1 cabriolet, i sold my red sport line cabby about 10 years ago now and have regretted it ever since :(with some attention to detail and a few minor fixes I’m sure this one will be just as good a car, it’s a solid basis to start with at least, interior complete! Exterior complete! Nothing missing or badly broken! Engine and gearbox original to car! It has done 168k and it starts and runs perfectly, electric hood works, interior is dry as a bone despite the hood rip (which isn’t now covered in “black nasty” army tape lol
big pile of history including most old mot’s, genuine keys, including the little silver “master” key , unheard of for me to have one of those :lol:needs a back box, some minor electrical issue sorting as wiper, radio, blower don’t work, on little inspection seems someone’s removed an alarm from it at some stage and dislodged 4 wires on the fuse box, trouble is, auto electrics is the least of my expertise! And i can’t see where or know where they connect to, I’m sure it’s an easy fix though

Appears to be a slight knock on the steering which seems is likely to be the top bearing near the wheel or the rack knuckle from a quick glance, haven’t checked the mount yet but they are often cracked! O_opaint is 2k ie no lacquer and was in need of some serious revival which i have begun doing

plans are all mechanicals checked and anything needing it replaced, get everything sorted for Mot time and then do the remaining cosmetics like the roof, decide on what wheels i will run it on and just enjoy driving it

it will make a change not to be able to see the fuel gauge on a car not moving much :lol: unlike my other cars

day i picked it up last Sunday

7E93B8B7-8207-4409-AF2F-DFC3DEF35BBB.jpeg 4A504B57-AF55-40C4-A590-BE8380372BFA.jpeg 6A615BD8-88CE-4953-B9AE-6172EF4E4A0B.jpeg F6667454-D309-4F57-B798-354FF20A8317.jpeg EDD614C5-9F70-462C-96C0-0844E494DF07.jpeg

Back to the top
And how it's looking now with some detailing work done to the paint, using meguiars products and Da polisher 0FE17A03-C997-4304-BD4A-3BB211640DE9.jpeg 8F6438B9-C15F-4E6A-9991-1EF9B9D2312A.jpeg 4AEFC1F7-A479-4C0B-8C47-98A79FC25DE3.jpeg 8CFD8BBB-50BE-4EBB-9EE3-67E6188AE408.jpeg FA420B92-E864-46C0-9D13-9C6588C402A1.jpeg 7A40DF59-55A0-4E09-B1FD-0531E6CFBAFD.jpeg 496E6B48-700D-4A60-99EC-E0F75CED7A92.jpeg F1E7071B-B29E-45D7-8DAA-66C3310D02A2.jpeg

Back to the top

If you’re wanting roof done or roof parts etc give us a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Wow that paints come up well…

Exhaust looks at the wrong angle, might be a Mk2 Scirocco exhaust as it's not right, good job it needs a new exhaust as that will tidy it up nicely.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

chortle said

If you’re wanting roof done or roof parts etc give us a call.

certainly will do 

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Wow that paints come up well…

Exhaust looks at the wrong angle, might be a Mk2 Scirocco exhaust as it's not right, good job it needs a new exhaust as that will tidy it up nicely.  :thumbs:
 yeah not sure on the exhaust? Although it fits perfectly to the car and has the little kink on the outlet to miss the clipper kit? 
Its getting replaced anyway

Knowing me for a custom stainless one i expect lol

Back to the top
If you are looking for a front grill Gti badge search Mk2 Golf as that's what VW fitted.
Someone stole mine (and few other badges) about 10 years ago and I went to VW to get replacements and found out the cabriolet with the 5 slate grill use a Mk2 badge…

Like this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK2-Golf-GTI-Genuine-OEM-Front-GTI-Grille-Badge-BRAND-NEW-STOCK/282724574053?epid=671949380&hash=item41d3b2a365:g:kmIAAOxyYANTYYsh

I did see some others on ebay but the fixing look different to the one in link…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Cheers for the link, yeah the later cabs shared a few mk2 bits, i will get round to the badges and bits after i have got it all the rest sorted

one of the parts being a new fuel pump, which i now need lol

it went from ticking over nicely albeit a bit noisy 30 mins ago,  to not making any noise at all lol it’s not the fuse or relay so it’s defo pooped, sounded pretty rough so was on its way out to be fair

old cars you gotta love em, will change both lift pump in tank and main pump i think just to be on safe side 

Back to the top
Check filler neck 1st and good look inside the tank, fish about with a magnet to get rid of rust then drop the magnet in tank to collect any bits while driving, make sure the filter screen is on the lift pump.
Fit a new fuel filter every 20,000 miles / 2 years if the tank is original like mine is.
I've found it's usually the lift pump that fails as I've been through about 6 lift pumps and 1 main pump in 24 years of owning my 1988 Gti cabriolet.

Cabriolet filler necks are different to tin tops and you can’t chop the end off and bend a tin top filler neck to fit a cabriolet as mentioned on here and web…. I tried it and failed in then end I had to get a section cut out then the end welded back on to get the right angle to fit a tin top filler neck but it was still cheaper than a new cabriolet filler neck.

Back to the top

Got my front grille badge off a 6N2 Polo that badge went on a few cars lol.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Check filler neck 1st and good look inside the tank, fish about with a magnet to get rid of rust then drop the magnet in tank to collect any bits while driving, make sure the filter screen is on the lift pump.
Fit a new fuel filter every 20,000 miles / 2 years if the tank is original like mine is.
I've found it's usually the lift pump that fails as I've been through about 6 lift pumps and 1 main pump in 24 years of owning my 1988 Gti cabriolet.

Cabriolet filler necks are different to tin tops and you can’t chop the end off and bend a tin top filler neck to fit a cabriolet as mentioned on here and web…. I tried it and failed in then end I had to get a section cut out then the end welded back on to get the right angle to fit a tin top filler neck but it was still cheaper than a new cabriolet filler neck.

Filler neck is all good, i already checked when i went to look at it lol
Undoubtedly the main pump as it sounded like my da polisher even with a load of fresh fuel in it

It's been sat 4 years so probably loads of sediment in the tank and lines hasn't helped
Me putting the new fuel in probably killed it off lol
To be fair it all looks very original under there, foam still in carrier and looks untouched so could well be its original pump!

Only lasted 29 years, pffffff

I will change both pumps i expect to be on safe side and also take a look in the tank whilst the hatch is off

I'd forgotten what it's like to own a Mk1 or mk2 lol

Still at least it's easy to push than an Audi Quattro

Back to the top
Start soaking those bolts/nuts in Plusgas penetrating oil over the next few days….  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Doesn’t the pump have a filter and one way inline valve?
These clog up and need cleaning sure I read a post on here a  while ago.

Back to the top
The lift pump in the tank has a small strainer filter on it

Can remember if the cabby has an accumulator before the main pump underneath now its been so long since i owned one lol

Plan of action is check/replace fuel pump relay, lift pump, main pump

Wont hurt to change them for new anyway, negates issues later on! 

Cheap and easy enough to do myself 

Just looked through its history file, and its had a complete new fuse box and relays in 2007 no sign of fuel pumps replacement though

Back to the top
Update! Well im confused now lol

Tried to start it from stone cold this morning, turning over fine but nothing, not wanting to fire at all

went to start it again after wiggling the fuel pump Nd other relays on fuse box, tried ignition, no obvious priming noise but

Turned key, Turned over a few times and then fired into life! 

Odd 

Pump is still noisy though but at least its actually working so i can move it and get on with the other things i need to before replacing the pumps and relay

Either im lucky or have an intimitent fault? Lol we shall see 

Back to the top
if cant hear the pump then that mean priming well….. mine are noisey but car runs… did you check for accumulator underneath the car near main pump?  anyhow if runnng try not to mess with anything.  lol

plan for fuel pump relay, and fuel pump fuse, then have both fuel pumps ready to install.  
my sportline cut out 4k miles ago, blew a fuse. been alright ever since.. but i do carry fuse and relay in glove box.. and have both pumps sat on shelf in garage

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
 cheers ken

Yeah im of the same thought lol leave it alone for now!

Once its down the workshop getting to the bottom of the wipers/blower/radio/cig lighter not working

I shall get all of those parts replaced regardless, just want it to be reliable summer/occasional car

If it lets me down when im out in it once too often it will get sold lol  

Back to the top
After market fuel pump relays are utter rubbish, don't waste your money buying one. Keep hold of the original fuel pump relay if you can, I guess you have a 62 relay fitted like mine and these don't prime the fuel pump before starting as it's not needed. I've still got my original fuel pump relay and it's still working after 301,000 miles and 31 years… If you want a replacement find a working 2nd hand 62 relay if you can.

You can use the relay below the fuel pump relay to test the pumps, you need to turn it to fit in where the fuel pump relay fits and when you switch the ignition on the pumps should run before the car is started. You can also bridge the 2 larger connections with a bit of wire but the pumps run all the time even without the ignition on…

Might also help if you pull out your fuel pump relay and clean up the connections.

Back to the top
Little update, more polishing and fettling done  ;) will be going down to a mates garage to have the electrics looked at shortly and given a full check over for anything that leaps out that needs replacing like bushes etc
Think I'm going to put a new steering rack and steering shaft bushes and bearings, old wheels have sold so it's now temporarily sitting on the TSW's it also came with

Hopefully it not too long it will be mechanically and electricly sound and mot'd so i can start adding those special bits to make it how i want it  ;)  

F83E7A0F-CD9D-40EE-AF04-8F06B37B98FC.jpeg A2BCA17F-9171-4CB1-9514-3E0EDD0C105A.jpeg  ;)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.