Skip navigation

Nearly in tears

Back to the top

Gutted

Wow a lot to take in there guys
Let it never be said that you dont get information on this forum  👍👍
I like the heat joke bored now. Briano i did not know id need a compression pipe is there a particular bore i need or should i just wait until the manifold arrives and suss it out then .do you have an ebay link for the stuff save me searching .a local garage has said they will do it for £70 its starting to look more appealing after hearing what could go wrong im having a good run at snapping studs and nearly destroying things .maybe i should sit this one out lol

Back to the top
Plus if it blows you can take it back…………

O_o

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
£70 fitted seems a good price and as Borednow says, if it blows or knocks on the floor etc you can take it back, never an easy job to do lying underneath a car with it on axle stands trying to undo an exhaust joint with bit's of rust falling in your face….. Oh I hate working on exhauts…

Get the garage to fit at the very least, new copper nuts as you don't want to re use your old ones.

New nuts and studs…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-MK3-T25-CAMPER-CORRADO-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-STUDS-NUTS-x-8-A712/221605260320?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item3398b3ec20:g:br0AAOSw2XFUZdO6

Getting the manifold off is a pain as you can't really see the nuts very well and the nuts usually round off and you need to hammer on a smaller socket to get them undone.

You also need to remove the front anti roll bar to have enough space to get the new 4 2 1 manifold in.

Some pictures of my 4 2 1 and what I've wrapped.

About 1/2 way down…
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Ftoo-much-pressure-at

Towards to bottom..
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-daily-drive-1988-gti

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Il have a proper look at all those pictures later guys thankyou .im booked in at tg silencers on friday morning. Earliest they could they want £60 for the flexible joint pipe which i think is expensive. Ive spotted several stainless ones online but cant order one as im not sure what width size etc il need .also ive ordered new copper nuts and ive got 10 metres of titanium heat wrap with stainless cable ties is there anything else im missing?? The tractor like noise is bugging me 👍👍

Back to the top
Sounds like you've got it sorted then.

The joint sounds a bit expensive but at least it'll be theirs so any problems and it's down to them.

I have had one shear in the past.

Wear gloves when wrapping as it gets everywhere and is very itchy. Some of them need to be sprayed with water so they stretch slightly and when they dry become tighter.

It's a pain to do the wrap well. Take your time and figure out the best way off doing it as if it's not tight and edges overlap properly it'll come loose and not do anything and look very bad too!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Wear gloves when wrapping as it gets everywhere and is very itchy. Some of them need to be sprayed with water so they stretch slightly and when they dry become tighter.

It's a pain to do the wrap well. Take your time and figure out the best way off doing it as if it's not tight and edges overlap properly it'll come loose and not do anything and look very bad too!

Ian
Gloves and overalls are a must, horrible itchy stuff to work with and the fibers get every where, I used an old bit of carpet to work on so I did not scratch the manifold, I had to throw away the old bit of carpet as it was covered in fibers…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-BASALT-TITANIUM-HEAT-WRAP-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-10-STAINLESS-CABLE-TIES-30cm/301713780460?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50926%26meid%3D4836fb40d405466db4da084856f26d27%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D301713780460&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

I used this stuff but I did need 2 lots, the 1st picture I posted up you see is how far I got with 1 roll got but I wanted to wrap to the joint to keep the heat down under the car….

I used a mat like this to cover the UJ rubber boot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Resistant-Soldering-Brazing-Plumbers-Mat-300mm-x-250mm-Woven-Glass-Fabric/231607785661?epid=1988749576&hash=item35ece658bd:g:hHUAAOSwyQtVkQWm

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks ian and thanks mk1 that useful information is noted the copper nuts arrived today still gritting my teeth at £60 for a flexible joint the whole manifiold 2as £160 anyone know what exact size il need to order a flexible joint online there only £20

Back to the top
You could look up the header that you bought as it should have the internal diameter of the tail piece.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
It doesent unfortunately briano ive checked the description etc theres no information. Its supposed to be delivered tomorrow so il know for sure then .just a quick ond briano are you running points or electronic pick up

Back to the top
I have 2 that are running 1.8L of DigiFant glory, that is electronic ignition. Trust me when the battery is dead there is no popping the clutch on these guys.

I do remember the days of Points, condensers, setting dwell and adjusting the valves on a monthly scale.
oh, but that was a 58, AH sprite, and a 67 MG Midget as well as my 72 Rover3500S…… Well I didn't do the valves monthly on my Rover…

:)

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
My Raceland 4 2 1 manifold came with a flexible joint and I could fit the rest of the standard exhaust system to the new manifold.

I would wait and see what arrives with the new manifold…  

Back to the top
Ok thanks briano im gonna look into it for the reliability factor..thanks mark1 ive contacted the seller unit 3 tuning and there importing it from germany as i need a catalytic version. ?? And they said i dint need one ?? As i took it to be tuned and they said by the extremely low figures it must have a cat on it ?? Did not know that ??

Back to the top
Just checking….

You are in the UK with a 1990 cabriolet, Automatic with a carb?

If so, no you will not have a CAT from manufacturer.

CAT was made law in the UK for cars made from 1992/1993 ish so you do not need one and as you don't have fuel injection I don't think it will even work on your car so DON'T BUY A 4,2,1 MANIFOLD WITH A CAT!

You will also have electronic ignition on a later car VW fitted it as standard to most water cooled engine from 1979 ish….

In the Scuttle area, passengers side you will see a L shaped black metal plate with a plastic box screwed underneath it with some wires going to it, this controls the ignition.  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Oh sh😂😂 i was told by a local garage thst tuned it i had a cat on it as the emissions were so low so uve ordered one for the catalytic convertor version. Which theve imported from germany to the uk .how will i know for sure if it has a cat just incase someone has fitted one .il check the ignition cheers mk1 its becoming a full time job helping me eh 👍👍

Back to the top
I'm 99.9999999% sure you will NOT have a CAT…

To check if you look underneath the car at your exhaust (look from near the drivers door) you should only see 1 silencer in the middle, and 1 silencer at the back near the spare wheel.

A CAT looks similar to a silencer and it will be just in front (engine end) of the middle silencer..

Have a look at a picture Briano1234 posted… if you look just behind the axle stand you can see the CAT just infront the middle silencer, Briano1234 has a CAT fitted to his car as it's a later car with Digifant fuel injection and is a USA spec car…

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Fquick-brake-caliper

Who ever tuned your car did not know what they are talking about…. You may be better off finding an old school garage to get it tuned?

Do you have the CO readout from an old MOT or anything the garaged printed off?

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
mufflers.png

Number 2  top half in top pic.

Between 6 and 8 in second or lower half which is similar to my US spec Cabriolet 1992, 93, 89, and 90's cabbies.

aThe header that you show is a CAT delete version.  That is it is long enough to go from the head to the resonator (middle silencer as you call it) in reality it is a Pneumatic harmonic hammering suppression device.
That is that as the pipe expands under the hot gases of each chamber firing, the resonator is a straight tube with a outer sealed case that is filed with fiberglass so that as the pipe expands the trapped air and the fiber mat suppresses the noise with negative feedback so to speak.

If you don't have the resonator then your exhaust will sound different (louder) and with the right rear silencer you can have a "Ricer" sounding car.  Me, I like quiet.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
20180516_213202.jpg Thanks you 2 once again for the information serve me right for listening to people who dont know. Firstly il attatch a picture of the printout but secondary i jacked up the car tonight when i got home still my daily driver just noisy …..il attatch the pictures i took of the exhaust fairly sure theres no cat but your expert opinion on the shape of things would be appreciated 20180516_205817.jpg 20180516_205812.jpg 20180516_205725.jpg 20180516_205732.jpg 20180516_205738.jpg 20180516_205745.jpg 20180516_205709.jpg 20180516_205753.jpg

Back to the top
I see a resonator but no CAT….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks briano i concur with that

Back to the top
Yes no CAT fitted.

I would let an exhaust place try and separate the exhaust to fit the new manifold as it looks like it's been on the car a while and may be tricky to pull it apart…

I think 1.03 CO is a little low, it wants to be around 2% really.
Do you know what carb you have, Webber or original Pierburg (You can post up a picture if not sure)

Is the last picture your fuel lines?

They are starting to look rusty… I would carefully give them a light rub down (wire brush) as you don't to create any holes and give them a coat of Waxoyl to help them last longer but in the long term I would plan to replace in the next couple of years…..

A small rattle can.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-Hammerite-Aerosol-Waxoyl-Car-Rust-Proofing-Under-Seal-Wax-Oil-400ml-x-1/292152286097?epid=22017019145&hash=item4405a21b91:g:oT4AAOSwRXRZXi~Y

5L tin, you can brush this on or you can buy a sparyer etc…
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMERITE-WAXOYL-RUSTPROOFING-FOR-CARS-CLEAR-5-LITRE-REFILL-5-L-5L/221994021994?epid=4017010359&hash=item33afdff46a:g:JV8AAOSwgyxWXZSK

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.