Skip navigation

Early outer cv joints?

Back to the top
My early shafts from my 1.1 have the outer joints that attach with a circlip inside the joint itself?

31F14AE3-5C55-4644-9C82-88EBB3000A7D.jpeg

Can you buy new ends like this, my mate says he can't find them anywhere. Can someone point me to them. 

Sorry I'm not up on this type of thing. 

Last edit: by Roach

Back to the top
This is a better pic, you can just see it hiding inside the joint?

86DEEA3C-4906-4F38-A4BD-C44F390CD37F.jpeg

Back to the top
BD785C1B-35ED-460F-B8DE-C7E4F8AD70BD.jpeg

Back to the top
Could this one on heritage be the badger?

https://www.vwheritage.com/171498099-outer-cv-joint-kit-vw-spare

Back to the top
shoot for the monies, buy new, they come with a warranty, new boots (gaiters), (Funny Gaiters are what bites you in the booty, when you are trying to drain the swamp over here.) and there isn't much of a mess in hanging them… Oooey Gooey Fun.  

I have a rebuilder locally to me that rebuilds mine for 60 bucks each, and part of the process is that he spin balances them and adds weight if needed….
Same thing new boots, new ends and pre-greased….just hang and go. Oh, and he has a 2 year warranty.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I've looked for new small block complete shafts. 

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for, everywhere does gti 'big block' shafts. 

Maybe I'm being blind. 

Back to the top
Anyone know the lengths of small block shafts? Or who stocks them new as pairs?

I hate eBay at the moment and don't trust what's listed after my 'g40' exhaust manifold messiness. 

Back to the top
I've got that type on my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco and it's got the 90mm CV joints, I think you need a CV joint pre 1979 as that's when they changed to the just hit it off type of CV joint.

You might be able to fit the later type but I'm not sure?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Yo mark, my mate tells me the later ones won't go onto my shafts?

Might have to source some later 1.3 shafts maybe?

Back to the top
What car you got?

How about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk1-1-1-CV-Joint-Outer-74-to-83-C-V-Driveshaft-171498099A-171498099-New/232585846242?fits=Model%3AGolf&epid=2206721408&hash=item3627325de2:g:KpMAAOSwFyhaJYpc

It's got the sizes etc in the listing, might be worth sending them an message/email.

Ive tried searching the part number online but it lists it as no longer available, you might need someone with the ETKA to find a part number.
The only part number I can find is 171 498 09 but that’s listed as the kit and does not show anything….

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
That looks promising. 

I've got a 74 1.1. 

But fitting a g40,  not that that matters..

I just need small block shafts with good ends!! :lol:

Back to the top
Are the old ones shot?

Back to the top
One is yes, had to butcher it out of the hub, never had one so stuck!

I thought I'd 'simply' buy 2 new ends and I'll be reet….. everything on this car is a headache. :(

Back to the top
Yes I know what you mean, it's now tricky getting hold of some early car spares.  :dry:

Hopefully rubjonny will reply with part numbers or advice on what will fit as if he does not know then no one will know.  :lol:

Back to the top
I'll give him a day or I'll be most upset. :lol:

I'm tired of looking at generic images of cv joints that fit 1974 cars and 1983 cars at the same time… my head hurts and I'm not any further forward…. thanks for your input tho, I do appreciate it matey and I've message the company that you linked. :) 

Back to the top

mark1gls said

What car you got?

How about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk1-1-1-CV-Joint-Outer-74-to-83-C-V-Driveshaft-171498099A-171498099-New/232585846242?fits=Model%3AGolf&epid=2206721408&hash=item3627325de2:g:KpMAAOSwFyhaJYpc

It's got the sizes etc in the listing, might be worth sending them an message/email.

Ive tried searching the part number online but it lists it as no longer available, you might need someone with the ETKA to find a part number.
The only part number I can find is 171 498 09 but that’s listed as the kit and does not show anything….

Here is the link to the ETKA.
http://www.oemepc.com/

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the link Briano1234, I tried that website and it does no list the part numbers, just says no longer available.

Need someone with the full or older version of the ETKA on there computer not the web based version

It's part No. 22

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/GO/year/1975/drive_standart/28/hg_ug/407/subcategory/30000/part_id/3698980/lang/e

You don't happen to know if the later CV joints fit on the early drive shafts with Circlip style CV joints?

Back to the top
Yeah I had no luck with that site either.

My friend has tried 3 sets of later CV's, he says they definitely don't fit onto the early shafts.

Back to the top
I also have emailed Rich at CrazyQuiffs, he may have a later pair of complete shafts I could use.

Would make it easier to service in future too.

I thought I'd found one on eBay earlier, but a better picture the guy sent, turned out to be the later tyoe too. :(

Back to the top
Here's a good pic of the early type, on the right. 

83B971ED-EF3E-46C7-9FCE-61C8B029BA0F.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.