Skip navigation

Back to the top

Re:

mark1gls said

I don't agree with this quote…

Ps I  don't drive on a motorway or long disrance with it down.
Personally I think get there get it down with friends then enjoy sunshine.

As long as the covers on it fine, that's the reason we have a cabriolet, get the roof down as often as you can, that is what a cabriolet is all about…. If the roof wears out buy a new one £200 is cheap for a convertible top.

A wind blocker helps a lot so get one then you can drive at motorway speeds with the roof down and not get your head blown off!   :thumbs:

It's not for everyone I agree.
However I think there is enough potholes on the motorway that has caused so much stone and grit everywhere that on a motorway last thing you want is gravel or a pidgeon landing passenger side. Lol
Besides it's saving a bit if fuel too.

Post from a ' HOP X DUB '

What's next?
Mk1 second project cabriolet
MK1 first project cabriolet

Back to the top
Fuel fuel fuel….blah blah blah, I get 150smiles per gallon topless, and from my MPG there isn't very much difference between top up or top down……

Blowing your head off, that is what they made CAPS for.

Driving topless is the only way, unless it is snowing, too chilly, or raining.  Otherwise I have to remember to put my top up every 4-5 days…. It wasn't so bad on the vinyl, but this Canvas likes to be a pin when it isn't stretched.

My youth I think that as soon as the snow stopped I put the tonneau on and the top never got up.

Somewhere my brother took a pic of me driving in a snowstorm in my Midget, with the Tonneau on and a parka and gloves…… It was AWESOME….

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi i need help again can anyone tell me if the twin headlights on my cabrio are stock /period correct its a 1990 g plate 1.8 sportline.also where i can buy the adjustment screws for the smaller lights were they screw into the grill mine are moving around thankyou again dean

Back to the top
If the screws are moving are the lights moving?
if not you may need the Adjusters that are on the bracket.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi yes thanks the lights are moving on there own the adjusters are rusty and no longer really do anything

Back to the top

Deano777 said

Hi i need help again can anyone tell me if the twin headlights on my cabrio are stock /period correct its a 1990 g plate 1.8 sportline.also where i can buy the adjustment screws for the smaller lights were they screw into the grill mine are moving around thankyou again dean

Deano777

Well we'd be happy to tell you if your inner lamps are original or not if we saw a picture of them.

So take a close picture of them and we'll have a look.
But if they don't say Hella then there not original normally. ;)

If you need to clean them due to them looking a smoked I can direct you to an old post I did on an easy way to do it when I did mine. :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
20180320_163937.jpg Hi sorry a bit of a misunderstanding i just want to know if it would come from the factory with them as standard if not im gonna put it back to single ones il try and attatch a photo im still not fully able to navigate this forum properly yet 👍

Back to the top
Yes, Clippered Cabbies come with quad grilles.
The Inner lights Adjuster Screws Move the light up or down left or right.

The adjusters are screws into Nylon fittings. They do get rusty as they are Steel Screws that get the road abuse.

If you take your Grille out, Unplug the light connectors on the inners, and remove the 4 screws at the top.  Then you can see how bad they are and if they are split and spinning on the screw at the rear.

To Clean the inners Place the Grille light down, and remove the bulb.  Take 2 Denture cleaning tablets and crush them and insert the pieces in to one lamp.  Add Hot Water to the bulb slowly till the effervescent bubbles come out of the top a wee bit (as in Barely)
Let set over night and Drain out the liquid.  Rinse with very warm water.  Shake all the water out.

Using a hair dryer warm the body of the lamp up and the remaining hot water will evaporate… You inners will look like new.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yes took the grill completely off yesterday the nylon squares are no good and the screws are rusted and just spinning around doing nothing .thanks for the advice on cleaning great idea that 👍im gonna do that as they do look a little hazy ..
Also where will i get the squares adjusters screws etc .and thanks for the info on the quad headlights want to keep it as original as possible .thanks mate

Back to the top
Deano777

Dean here's a photo of mine.

IMG-20170929-WA0086.jpg

Nice photo of a Mk1 just as you have so I have a question for you, what make and type are my inner lamps?

No need to answer as I know some seasoned members can download the photo zoom in and tell us.

But you want us to help you which is fine but a full car on photo tells us nothing my friend.

We can normally tell by a head on close up of the glass pattern as to does it have 'Spot' or 'Fog' it should be Hella spot but hopefully you get my point. ;)

Until we get a good close look it's all about guess work which of course is not recommended normally! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
Ok mate il do my best ...lovely looking cabriolet by the way want mine to be the best it can be ..il keep learning thanks for the help

Back to the top

Deano777 said

Ok mate il do my best …lovely looking cabriolet by the way want mine to be the best it can be ..il keep learning thanks for the help

You've got a cracking looking Mk1 there you should be very proud of it and as important yourself. ;)

Your one of a very small select group worldwide! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
The adjusters are sold kit form.

Vwheritage is Out of Stock, so a trip to the breakers, or You could try cleaning the metal, take the broken bits and Glue them with epoxy.

There is a little dog finger that catches on the Lamp bracket that keeps it in place, I suspect that the finger Broke off or that the adjuster cracked (split).

Looking at it in the VW heritage link may help.
https://www.vwheritage.com/155998135-driving-light-mounting-kit-mk1-golf-cabriolet-8-vw-spare

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
20180331_111211.jpg Cheers for your comments yes those on the link are the ones there so loose my headlamps change position every time i drive somewhere! 20180331_111154.jpg

Finally headlight pictures 👍👍

Back to the top
Hi everyone again can you point md in the right direction for a new fuel pump im unfamiliar with the fuel layout in this cabrio .is the main pump in the tank ? Also theres obviously fuel mechanicals under the bonnet can anyone please explain to me the fuel system thankyou again

Back to the top
It will be better to start a new thread on your problem, post it up in the fuel section of this website, you will find you get more answers.

Also helps if we know more info about your car, what fuel system do you have? Carb or fuel injection and what year is your car, what is the problem you are having with it?   :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Cheers mate im not sure how to post it ? Did the first one and forgot lol

Back to the top
Go to the forum home page, scroll down to the fuel/exhaust section in the technical section and once in the fuel area there should be a add topic button on the right hand side.   

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Ok thanks
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.