Skip navigation

The older blokes meccano set

Back to the top
So I introduced myself and the car in newbies back along. Since then I have been flat out and done nothing!

But with Christmas leave commencing I thought what better way of freezing myself than pushing the shell into the garage and starting the long rebuild process. I purchased the shell with a load of parts about 4/5months ago and have spent the interim time researching paint types, bodywork and engines. Now I am totally confused it seemed apt to commence!

so I bought the shell as an unfinished project. Some welding has been carried out on the shell and some new panels replaced - new front wings, new front panel, new rear valance, new fuel tank (obviously the tank isn't a panel, but hey we'll include it on the list!). The car has no engine, or any ancillaries attached. It's is like starting a build from scratch. So what is the plan…

starting with the engine bay. I was going for a smooth bay and follow the usual trend, however recently I have rethought that and am now going for a clean original look albeit with battery and washer bottle relocated inside the car. I will do away with the header tank too. That way if I change my mind in future on engines and originality it's easy to go back.

my approach is to go along 'less is more' going for minimum weight (without getting silly) and fun. It is only a weekend car for me and will be a project to test my skills! I was going to get the shell painted professionally but having failed to get anyone to quote me and being a bit particular I have decided to do everything myself. Not sure how this will turn out but I have painted before and my theory is that by the time I pay to get it done professionally I can mess it up a good 3/4 times myself and still be in pocket and will have developed new skills. Good theory, lets put it to practice…..

So i have started sanding down the engine bay and filling some minor marks etc. I have removed some sealant patches and almost ready to epoxy primer ..

photos to follow

Back to the top
20171220_120940.jpg

20171220_120936.jpg

20171220_211447.jpg

Back to the top
20171222_172647_001.jpg

Then whilst waiting for some filler to dry in the engine bay, i had a look at the inside.

My the theory is: get engine bay and inside prepped, primered and painted. Then I can start reassembling stuff before moving onto the outside. Also I practice prep and paint on the less obvious parts so by the time I get to the outside I will be an expert!

So I had a look at the front pasenger floor pan:

20171222_201615.jpg

And almost finished cleaning up:

20171222_204724.jpg

Back to the top
This is never going to be a fast turn around, as I have way too many things on, as is usual for me. I love learning new skills so this project should be ideal. No doubt there will be loads of questions along the way.

First one - the car came with coilovers fitted but being a bit older and needing comfort over lows I want to get rid of the coilovers and go standard type setup of damper and spring. Am i right in saying people recommend Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs as best comfort and handling? Open to comments / thoughts. I do want to be able to push on in the car, so want something decent, not just std kit.

What is the general thoughts on best lowering distance to improve handling whilst not making the car a bone shaker?

2nd question
Best ARB options? Std spec or larger / smaller. I seem to remember reading a smaller diameter bar at the front is advantageous and stops wheels lifting?

I am going disc rear conversion as it's already 90% done. Can an aftermarket brake bias adjuster be fitted internally to get over the issues with the std one? That's way have adjustability for track days etc.

Am going with Lupo rear calipers as recommended as being less aggressive than mk4 calipers. Lupo are also.alloy calipers rather than the mk4 cast iron anchors! They run a 32mm piston rather than 36/38 of the mk4 option, thus more gentle touch, hopefully avoiding too much rear lockup. With the bias adjuster should be able to rune out lock up issues…

So no mention of engines yet……

Nope….. not yet😎

Back to the top
I had Bilstein/Eibach combo on mk4 golf and I thought they were superb for handling and comfort!

Back to the top
Brother in Law runs the Bilstein / Eibachs and works very nicely.

Your 'factory but cleaner' sounds exactly like my plans for Mynx. I think it works rather well personally.

I also did a rear disc conversion but with the mk4 alloy calipers. I did try a bias adjuster but couldn't get the rear brakes to bleed properly and failed the MOT on them. In the end I ditched it with a 'well we'll see what happens' approach. I also removed the brake servo as well though………

I can't get the rears to lock up, even on a wet road. Admittedly I haven't tried whilst in a corner.

Nice work so far  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Bit more work:

20171229_124158.jpg

20171229_170751.jpg

20171229_170758.jpg

I'll investigate the Eibach option a bit more. Hopefuĺly someone local might have a mk1 with this setup so i can see what it's like….

Back to the top
Bit of cleaning up the front floorpans:

20171230_204021.jpg

Better:

20171230_212122.jpg

Back to the top

Looking well mate.  I'll be starting the task of filler in the engine bay soon.  Shoot me now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
To note i started with P38 filler which is quite course. Then went to Dolphin Glaze which Is really fine and gives a much smoother finish. Doesn't need anything course than p320 to sand down either. Should be going to primer once I sort some heating, as can't apply under 15 degrees. Bit colder than that currently!

Back to the top

Aye.  I'm using upol fantastic as it just that…..cracking all round filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Decided to look at refurb/tidy up of brake bar and accessories ready for when paint done.

20180102_093118.jpg

Swapping the servo for a larger 9" from mk2 16v. Mastercylinder will be replaced with new 22mm, again from 16v mk2. Was going to do away with servo but general consensus is that is a bad idea due to poor feel on the road.

20180102_095509.jpg

Sanded down and primered the servo:

20180102_115744.jpg

Now the issue. The brake bar has swivel bearings on the ends - one is shot. Anyone converted their car to non servo and got a spare bar connector like this, but with good bearing?

20180102_145428.jpg

👍

Back to the top
Also if anyone is looking for a 7" servo and a 20mm mastercylinder let me know!

Servo part number: 172 612 105 M

20180102_115948.jpg

Back to the top
Bit of primer makes it seem like I am making forward motion:

20180103_165550.jpg

And after a further clean up of the drivers footwell, a bit of primer on that too:

20180103_165507.jpg

Just got to keep this momentum going…

Back to the top
And brake bar components getting the radiator treatment after being painted!

20180103_184726.jpg

Back to the top
great effort  ;)

DANBOY.

Mk1 Golf cabrio "Golf+ absolutely cabulous"
fresh 20vt rebuild well underway :)https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-old-white-cabby#post_1402754

Back to the top
2 hours of scraping and sanding and we go from:

20180104_200727.jpg

To this:

20180104_210442.jpg

Need a rest from sanding so i'll get the brake bar components back together before I forget how it all came apart!🤣 I also need to sort out servo amendments to fit the 16v servo clevis pin.

Lot of work to do. Glad I haven't written a job list, I think I'd give up!🤣

Back to the top

Webby! said

2 hours of scraping and sanding and we go from:

20180104_200727.jpg

To this:

20180104_210442.jpg

Need a rest from sanding so i'll get the brake bar components back together before I forget how it all came apart!🤣 I also need to sort out servo amendments to fit the 16v servo clevis pin.

Lot of work to do. Glad I haven't written a job list, I think I'd give up!🤣

Nice work 👍

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top
Should have put this photo up first as the starting point. Serves as a good record to myself. Started 20 Dec 2017

20180105_122447.jpg

The previous owner had just blown over everything with matt black to make it look better/further progressed than it was. Albeit no structural corrosion found so far…

Back to the top
Found a hole:

20180106_120352.jpg

Welded it up:

20180106_122319.jpg

Cleaned up last footwell:

20180106_154927.jpg

20180106_165230.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.