Skip navigation

Oh look, another mk1 project.

Back to the top
If lifting the engine out I found removing the gearbox 1st makes it a little easier as you don't have to angle/tilt the engine as much to miss the brake master cylinder etc. You can drop the gearbox on the deck and slide it out underneath the car, I used a bit of old carpet to drag mine out and back in again.

A lot of people lift the front of the car and drop the engine out underneath tip it back and then drag it out but I did not have enough height in my garage to attempt this way.

You need a 12 pointed star drive for the drive shafts bolts, make sure you use the right tool, clean out the bolt and give the 12 pointed socket a little tap home. I found you have to spin the drive shaft around to get to the bolts, if on you own leave the wheel on the car then you can use your foot to hold the wheel still while undoing the bolts or even better get someone to hold the wheel still.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Yep Iā€™ll drop her through the bottom with the box attached them lift the new one from underneath.

I got the spline bolts out of each of the drive shafts and cable tied the left one out of the way but the right one was looking like it would get caught on the headers on the way out.

So I got that drive shaft out and started looking for the rear engine mount and got called in for the day.

Iā€™ll have a look again once Iā€™m home and have a crack at dropping it out in the morning first thing as itā€™s gonna be a 37ā€¢c day here tomorrow.

Actually while Iā€™m mentioning the heat, what are my options for retro fitting an A/C unit ?

Back to the top

Success.

Back to the top
Not many UK cars with A/C as not a option over here.

Don't talk to us about 37 degrees C, hot an sunny as it's freezing, wet and dark in the UK…  O_o

Briano1234 in the US is the only person I know on here with a A/C unit fitted.

You may need to look for a later cabriolet in your country as VW did seem to fit more of those cars with A/C?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Yep I thought I would just mention the weather the rub it in a little.

Ok I guess I will keep an eye out for a cabby system but if it is that unlikely I wont get my hopes up.

Back to the top

Hit a couple of bumps. The offset of the alternator i had to pinch from the seized motor is out by about 20mm from the water pump and crank pulleys, so the belt runs on a bad angle but I just pinched the water pump from the old motor and the pulley on the crank has 2 v-grooves so Iā€™m hoping I can run the belt in the inner wheel even though itā€™s a smaller diameter.

And the carby on the donor engine wonā€™t fit the air intake so I think Iā€™ll just put a foam or paper pod filter straight onto it.

I also had to pinch a couple of pressure switches and gear linkage but besides that I think itā€™s good to go.

Oh and Iā€™ve got a local exhaust bloke to sort out new stainless headers for me which Iā€™ll chuck on before I fit the engine.

Back to the top

Iā€™m also gonna check the timing while Iā€™m at it.

Besides that is there anything else in should check or do while itā€™s all out ?

Back to the top

Any ideas what this is ? A fuel rail ?

The old motor doesnt have it.

Back to the top

Back to the top

All good, found out what it is.

Itā€™s meant to be a secondary air feed into the exhaust port to dilute gasses for emissions control.

Pretty clever, but Iā€™m just gonna put some bolts in there and plug it up.

Back to the top

It’s just a test’ it’s just a test’

Back to the top

Bug fixed !!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.