Skip navigation

CABBY FUEL PUMP making noise

Back to the top

External fuel pump under tank making noise

Can't argue with that, nice to renew stuff regardless in my eyes, especially if it's cheap!

Back to the top
At that price for bosch parts mate no brainer really 125.000 miles mite aswell do it now lol one less thing to worry about I suppose

Golf 1993 clipper 
Audi A3 S line Quattro

Back to the top
The main fuel pump is a right pain to change, I would leave it well alone and just do the lift pump.
125,000 miles is nothing for the main pump. Mine went at 240,000 miles.

The main problem with removing the main pump is it lives underneath the car and all the connections are exposed to the elements, you need to either drain the fuel tank or run it low and clamp the rubber fuel hose to stop it emptying petrol on to you.
It took me 2 days to change mine as there was a lot of soaking in Plusgas as you can't use any heat to undo the rusty connection.

I follow the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Dont forget with the lift pump you will need to change the little bit of rubber hose between the pump and sender as they rot and fall apart with all the ethanol they put in petrol now a days, when fitted you need to make sure the lift pump is the same height as before as if it to high in the fuel you can run out of petrol before the tank is empty (never a good idea with these old cars and fuel tanks) or to low and it can pick up the petro very well. The Haynes manual does show the measure s You will also need 2 or possible 4 fuel pipe jubilee clips as VW fitted use once pipe clips.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Don't forget string, you need about 3 feet of it to tie the filter screen to the pump so it doesn't falll off as you insert it.

How I change my in-tank pump is
1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Cheers Briano
I've already printed off your how to guide lol

Golf 1993 clipper 
Audi A3 S line Quattro

Back to the top

CABBY FUEL PUMP making noise

Yes I’m afraid you are correct, had the same issue with mine.
Would be worth checking the condition of the filler neck as they have a tendency to rot out as mine had done filling the tank with rust and debris which ultimately spelt the end for the fuel pump. Just worth checking before you fit a new pump as they’re quite expensive. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
Ok guys so thanks for all your help and info concerning my fuel pump issue had it fixed today to find out it was the main pump which was failing lift pump all ok and working fine thanks again guys

Golf 1993 clipper 
Audi A3 S line Quattro

Back to the top

scotty b said

Ok guys thanks for all your info I think I'm going to replace both tomorrow anyway as due to a very good mate I've only paid £60 for bosch pump and £20 For the lift pump as he works for car part company lucky me.
hopefully it may fix my issue
Any news? Did pumps swap work?

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Yes Kenneth main pump was my issue all sorted now thanks didn't have to change lift pump

Golf 1993 clipper 
Audi A3 S line Quattro

Back to the top
glad your sorted
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.