Skip navigation

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Back to the top

Bought my first golf and going to keep track of what I'm doing on this :)

Got my first batch of parts back from the platers.

Going to send out the rest of the hardware for the engine bay at a later date, might get a few parts powder coated over the zinc plating for extra corrosion protection

Last edit: by MarkkGardner

Back to the top
I wouldn't powder coat all that lovely zinc plated finish, it'll look superb when it's all put together.  Just look at Chrissy's Mk1 cabrio engine detail for the finished product.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fengine-detailing

Back to the top

Pistol said

I wouldn't powder coat all that lovely zinc plated finish, it'll look superb when it's all put together.  Just look at Chrissy's Mk1 cabrio engine detail for the finished product.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fengine-detailing

only really looking to powdercoat the pulleys, had a look through your post thats some seriously outstanding work! hope mine looks like that when I'm done

Back to the top
Hi Mark

Could you share how much the plating work costs please?

looks great, mulling over if I can do the same to a few bits on mine.

Thanks

Back to the top

Kingy76 said

Hi Mark

Could you share how much the plating work costs please?

looks great, mulling over if I can do the same to a few bits on mine.

Thanks
I was £30 for they bits but that was done through my work, I used diamond metal finishing in stoke-on-trent but I'm sure they have a £50 minimum charge best to email them and find out

Back to the top
Thanks very much, ball park pricing helps so I can find somebody local to my area and compare prices.

Back to the top

Kingy76 said

Thanks very much, ball park pricing helps so I can find somebody local to my area and compare prices.

3 of the photos have vanished from my post ill try upload them, If it doesn't work there were another 60 odd nuts and bolts and a few brackets that got done for the £30 aswell

Back to the top

Kingy76 said

Got the images back check the post again  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Awesome job, I agree don't powder coat that little lot, they will look nice just as they are!

Back to the top
So I've been stripping the last bit so send away for plating yesterday and got my car back from paint today :thumbs:Going to start the engine rebuild in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to have it on the road by may although I'm not setting myself a deadline.

I'm also going to buy a paint gun and paint everything that's under the bonnet so everything looks brand new.

Looks good to see the car finally all painted and welded! looking forward to putting it all back together and finally being able to drive it with out lots of smoke coming out the back!   :lol:I'm Needing to get new sills and I feel like I need to redo some of the underseal as I noticed some rust under some patches But once the car is running again ill get it up on the ramp for closer inspection. I will tackle the underside situation and get a new headling in next winter then after that I would say that the car is complete.

Last edit: by MarkkGardner

Back to the top
Was going to start assembling the bottom end last night but realized after hot tanking it that it never removed all the oil that was stuck to the inside of the block. I used small wire wheels on a dremel to remove the dried out oil. was surprised how much was still stuck to the block. The block was hot tanked when I took it to the engine builders to get once over then I cleaned it at my work in the part washer twice before I painted it.

After I got all the oil off I took the block back to work today and put it back in the part washer and it has ruined the paint I put on the block  :dry:

I have Bought some 2k engine paint by eastwood to put on the engine block at the weekend.

Back to the top
Productive weekend so far.

Got the engine bay ceramic coated yesterday and been painting today.

Thats the engine repainted. Had to strip all the old paint off and decided to use some por15 metal prep this time before applying the paint. I will definitely be using this metal prep more often leaves a perfect surface to apply paint over as it etches the metal surface as well as leaving a zinc phosphate coating behind. Here's some photos before the metal prep, after the metal prep and finally in paint. I did preferred the look of the matt paint but i think the mistake i made was that it wasn't baked on so it came off when I put it back in the parts washer but at least this time ill have some durable 2k paint.

I Also painted the last engine parts too I used some etch primer then eastwood's aluma blast. I'm very impressed with this paint it leaves a really good finish and looks identical to new cast aluminum parts. I started painting the metering head and starter motor today but never got finished as i was painting parts of them black before I use the aluma blast paint on them.

Back to the top
Looks like we're at an almost identical stage in our respective restos Mark.  I agree about the Eastwood paints, they coat really nicely.  Lovely finish on your painted items too.

Back to the top

Pistol said

Looks like we're at an almost identical stage in our respective restos Mark.  I agree about the Eastwood paints, they coat really nicely.  Lovely finish on your painted items too.

When you planning on having yours finished for? My plan is to have mine done by the start of may. do you have a build on your profile?

Back to the top

Mark Gardner said

Pistol said

When you planning on having yours finished for? My plan is to have mine done by the start of may. do you have a build on your profile?

It's been 4 years since I started but I'm trying to get it out for a VW Show here in Northern Ireland on 6th April. That now seems like mission impossible, but it'll definitely be finished for this summer. Build thread is here:-
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fpistolpete-s-mars-red

Back to the top
Got last batch of parts back from the platers last week, that should be everything for the engine bay zinc plated now  :thumbs: I got box full of engine mounts, brackets, pulleys etc done too but there not pictured, Also got a bunch of parts back from the powdercoaters too (Sump, rockercover etc).

What a difference zinc plating makes and its relativity cheap too for it all it came to £70 all in (£50 for blasting and £20 for plating). I get the zinc plating done cheaper thru my work as I send them off when were getting blocks plated so works out good! I think the minimum charge at the place I'm using is £50.

Also got most of the bottom end build up this weekend. I had to stop as there weren't any of the seals for the crankshaft or intermediate shaft so I have  them on order with some of the other parts that I need to finish off the build. Measured all the clearances  on the crankshaft caps, piston rings and con rods and all are spot on :thumbs:
for the crankshaft I got between 0.050 - 0.063mm
Piston rings: 0.33 - 0.38mm
conrods : 0.025- 0.050mm
I also gave the head a quick paint too just gave it a light coat of etch primer and 2 light coats of alumiblast. I didn't want to have layer and layers of paint on the head just in case it creates heat build up

I decided to go for some polyurethane bushes when installing my new wishbones.

Back to the top
Engines finally starting to take shape.
I almost got it all sealed. I had to leave the crankshaft seal housing off at one of the ends as i noticed when i was going to fit it that one of the holes for the sump is stripped so ill be taking it to my work to helicoil it at some point next week. There was also a problem with the head bolts as the head of them are a different size spline that came off everything else is the same but im just going to get the go ahead from the engine builder shop i used to order all my gaskets, bearings and headbolts, I should find out tomorrow.

Back to the top
That zinc plating is stunning, makes everything look so much cleaner - and it seems everything's coming together nicely. Are those ear plugs you used to protect the threads when painting the engine block? Never would've thought of that!

Back to the top

JakeMcC said

That zinc plating is stunning, makes everything look so much cleaner - and it seems everything's coming together nicely. Are those ear plugs you used to protect the threads when painting the engine block? Never would've thought of that!

Yeah I saw it somewhere on the internet was a great idea so much better than finding bolts to put down every hole in the block

Back to the top

Mark Gardner said

Yeah I saw it somewhere on the internet was a great idea so much better than finding bolts to put down every hole in the block

Definitely gonna use that when I go to paint my engine. Cheers!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.