Skip navigation

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Back to the top

Bought my first golf and going to keep track of what I'm doing on this :)

So on the 16/07/17 I finally bought myself my very own mk1 golf, it has been my dream to own one for almost 7 years now and decided now is the time.

I saw one on ebay and i knew i must buy it as iv missed out on so many opportunities
It has 122,715 on the clock and is a 1.6 gti, Body work is in good condition although there is some bare metal showing underneath but i will worry about that when its in my garage over the winter just want to go out and have fun in it for a month before she gets locked away.

Here are some of the specs-
- Had the head Re-built in 2011 (only covered 1,100 miles since then)
- RH Cups (not keen on these)
- Full stainless steel exhuast
- Upgraded break servo
- New bonnet
- New bettery
- New filler neck and fuel tank
- Inner and outer wings
- New sills

Im over the moon with the car they are a few wee bits and bobs needing done but will get there eventually. Car drives spot on! runs a bit hot a times bit dont think its anything to worry about but im going to get a new water pump and thermostat fitted soon i think

Here are some photos :)

Back to the top

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Really nice golf you have there no wonder you are over the moon.

Any plans for it other than enjoying driving it?

Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Big thumbs up on that find! Looks great.

Back to the top
What a cracking car! 😍😀👍🏼

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Thanks!!

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

thanks! few wee bits and bobs still to do!!

Back to the top
Another problem iv got is that i struggle to find 1st and 2nd some times replaced the  gear linkage selector arms as one of the clips was broken on one of them and it kept popping off any ideas what it could be, should i just get a whole new gear linkage?

Back to the top
So over the weekend i installed some crosshair headlights that i bout from vw heritage I noticed once they were fitted that they are alot smaller than the originals but the most annoying part is that the sidelights dont fit them when you twist to lock them in they fall right out think the cut out for them is slightly bigger than the original lights also got round to fitting new speakers up front and bought an uncut parcel shelf

Last edit: by MarkkGardner

Back to the top
So got a few wee jobs today first off i flushed out the coolant and the heater matrix by following a post on this which was really helpful think this was long over due as you can tell with the coolant that came out. i also replaced the thermostat hoping that it would solve my overheating issue but it never so iv ordered a new fan switch and water pump hopefully that does the trick

i also replaced the speakers a few weeks ago i bought cheap ones off of amazon to replace the fronts they didnt sound much better so i bought some kicker ones for the back and they sounded much better so ended up buying another set for the front i had to cut alot off the speaker to get it to fit in the speaker pod im very happy with the speakers a surprising amount of bass from such small speakers think ill have to get the car sound deadening soon  :lol:   

Back to the top
so over the past week quite alot has happened.
I Finally got some wheels lined up for next year got to order some new coilovers over the winter as mine are shot. got a set of bbs rs reps of one of my mates cheap all the tyres are bald unfortunately and need a light refurb but think some high grit wet and dry should do the trick. also got the red grill surround but was slightly damaged when i got it had a small bend in one of the pieces at the end but managed to bend it back there is also a few flakes under the paint which bugs me :(

I also refubed the badges by respraying them and using a sticker kit i found off ebay im amazed with the way they turned out just a bit of a headache to get the stickers on perfectly.

Iv also got a new water pump, fan switch and a new belt here that should hopefully help my high temp problem. another problem i had today is i found out that my alternator isn't charging my battery anymore :(think it reads about 11.5 volts so think ill have to get another one of them soon. does anyone know hot to tell what amp it is doesn't say anything on it are they a way i could measure it?

Back to the top
Great looking car  :thumbs:

There's a company called usrt that do a weighted kit to sort the gear linkage out, not ridiculously expensive. Also doesn't look to hard to make yourself.

Matt

Back to the top
So today I got my car back from the body shop today I'm well happy with it I got a few bits welded, Wheels sprayed and also got it under-sealed.

I went with Raptor as I have heard good things about it
ended up going with 2 coats of that and also got 2k black on top  of that for extra protection
here are some photos.

Back to the top
Took my car out for a drive today and took some photos

Back to the top
Nice pics!!

Keep your eye out for Pic of the Month competition, entries post going up soon ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
nice clean gti
weres the pics took??

Back to the top

vwoldmad1 said

nice clean gti
weres the pics took??

vwoldmad1 said

nice clean gti
weres the pics took??

Elie, Fife

Back to the top
So over the past month I have stripped out the interior so i can lay down some sound deadening.
After removing the carpets i decided to strip out all of the factory sound deadening just so i could check that the floor is solid
(thankfully it was)

This job was a lot more time consuming that I was expecting, a heat gun really speeds up the process!
after I removed I found a few dodgy bits i wasn't happy with so I got them welded up and had some Fastbuild anti-corrosive primer put over the top of the welds so they would not rust.

I have just finished giving it the first coat of zinc primer tonight, Going to give it another coat tomorrow then go round it with seam sealer then apply a thick coat of hammerite on top of all that Then i should be ready to put my sound deadening.

once all that is done I'm going to get the sills and any other hard to reach areas cavity waxed Then i should be able to put my interior back in.
Since having the interior out I have cleaned all of the carpets and applied Carbon Collective Repel - Fabric Protectant to keep the carpets and seats looking good.

Back to the top

Mark Gardner said

After removing the carpets i decided to strip out all of the factory sound deadening

I bet that was a time consuming and messy job!!

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

Mark Gardner said

After removing the carpets i decided to strip out all of the factory sound deadening

It sure was glad its done, at least i wasnt cold when i was doing it the heat gun fairly heated up the inside of the car  :lol:
I bet that was a time consuming and messy job!!

Back to the top

Mark Gardner said

It sure was glad its done, at least i wasnt cold when i was doing it the heat gun fairly heated up the inside of the car  :lol:

This is something I keep avoiding to do on  mine, hopefully it's not covering up any rust!!
There are too many online users to list.