Skip navigation

1980 1.6 GTI - Unintentional Project

Back to the top

Thanks birchy will be a life long project I fear but should get s little better every year. At least it is now preserved and from here on in it is improving and perfecting. I consider her a very good base to make better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
No7 Photo received my vote… wink wink!!!!!!!

Looking at the cars within this forum, do wish (sometimes) I had bought a tin top rather than the cabriolet, re live my 18 - 24 years of age era.

Its the square, boxy, rectangular front that makes me all weak on the knees and being the 'original GTI' the tin top makes more sense now, anyway hindsight and jealous eyes.

I will be at the AGM Sunday, be good to see your car ( black or helios blue is best )

Great to hear she is a long term project and preserved until 2040 comes along when all MK1 owners will have to make our cars electric … LOL.

Be proud Sir, a great job on a fine car!!!!

Back to the top
I am jealous. I wish I had the skill to put a whole car together like that. Very well done. Looks amazing!

Back to the top

So been a while since I posted on the money pit. Here are the latest bolt on bits. Got the wheels in a poor state from eBay. Had the tyres stripped and refurbed for £30 a wheel including new tyre fitting and balance.

4 new tyres from black circles and I will be bolting them on this week in place of the P slots. Some VW or if possible might get some custom MK1 centre caps and it will look the dogs (I hope).

Back to the top

Some pictures of the pet project. Before I add the new wheels.

Back to the top

Some of my winter months work. Still lots to do but a few pictures to keep the thread alive.

Back to the top

So this time last year she was in bits. Only way to get it to the paint shop was driving it. Maybe not my finest hour

Back to the top
Some dodgy hoody bloke nicked it!

Honestly Officer  :thumbs:

:lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Some dodgy hoody bloke nicked it!

Honestly Officer  :thumbs:

:lol:
He couldn't go too far as the flies in the face at 30mph stung a little. ?

Back to the top

Not posted on here for ages.

So after much investigation the cooling system is fixed new pump, thermostat, full flush and it turned out to be a blocked 5 mm hole returning to the expansion tank.

Fan cowling is now off to the powder coaters this morning as it is a mess for a clean and glass black finish.

Back to the top

She a little update. Been back to the powder coaters today and dropped off some bits.

Went to remove coil overs and have totally rounded nuts and bolts on the bottom of the assembly. One bit spitter needed. Will put it back to standard.

We are now dry stored after I cleaned out the garage also.

Now it is indoors I want to do more work on the engine bay and will start with low expectations of a degrease and some light upgrades with the powder coating place.

Oh and upgraded the rocker cover gasket.

Back to the top

Look out suspension here I come !!!

Back to the top

Keeping at it under the bonnet. Will get to the shocks in September as I need to get it running and during before attacking other jobs.

Back to the top

So collected some parts from the powder coaters. Forgot the bars for the rocker cover grrrr. Anyway shiny parts ready to fit

Back to the top
Shiny!

Always good  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Little update to keep the thread alive.

Some more mates fitted and refurbished for a winter tinker.

Focus will be on buying parts for the rear beam disc conversion. New discs, calliper Refurb kit, some pressure reducers, bushes etc. Hopefully by spring I would of squirrelled enough parts together to fit it to the car.

Note the ugly disc is just a test fit and will be replace.

Back to the top

So some more update on the rear beam. Callipers are being stripped just need to work out how the get the piston screw and hand brake assy off. But new pistons completed with new seals. Discs are in the box ready to fit.

Also have new top strut mounts for fronts and rears ready to fit.

Back to the top

And my next part to strip is

Need some long nose circlip pliers first though.

Back to the top

Ok then finally got the circlip out this morning.  After much searching gave up on long nose pliers and used some flat end screwdrivers and some brute force.

Good news is the insides DON’T fire into your face which I was both scared and now pleased about.

Here is a quick real life exploded view for anyone doing the same refurb.

Decided to powder coat then the same colour as my wheels.

Now hit a small decision to make. I don’t think I shall be able to replace this part so need to decide whether to just leave it in its current condition or get it fill with brass and smoothed back if I can find a small engineering shop to do it (I don’t have the tools or most likely the skill)

It has corroded and I cleaned it up with the wire wheel and where it poke through the back of the calliper there is an internal o ring seal plus an external lip seal. It seem the lip seal has let moisture in for it to corrode. I am also guessing it was near side so saw more of the wet than the off side. Would love People’s thoughts on this. Powder coating will be next month once I am paid so I have time to decide, it’s taken me months to get here sis little more time won’t hurt.  

As mad as this sounds I think I enjoy the process of fixing and refurbishing parts more than fitting them. I have decided fitting bits is a pain as I have to wait until I am finished to drive it again. Refurbishing can stop start a leisure.

Back to the top
Not posted on here for over a year

Just leave this here

FDBCA894-4860-4A26-B695-29DF1204F033.jpeg
DEC2725F-44CA-40A3-8814-D8BF82295FCB.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.