Skip navigation

Loose axel

Back to the top

mark1gls said

TZoo5446 said

could i use thread lock for the spindle nuts, other wise i gotta replace them every time i do something?

Just so I'm 100% clear before answering, which nut do you mean?

i am talking about the Large (30mm) nut the axel nut. I am assuming by the reaction so far this is not a good idea?

thanks all for the info i will get back to it as soon as i get it back. see another post in help :(:(

1984 VW LT31 Camper Taffy ( unfortunately Sold)
1987 vw golf mk1 (Unknown name yet possibly bunny or Virginias Wetspot) not decided yet. Sold
1989 VW mk1 caddy 1989 aaz

The Heights of your technology.
are the pits of my doom

Back to the top
I never use anything on the Axle nut.  The 170 ft/lbs of torque is sufficient to keep it in place, any type of Locktite on it will only make it that much harder to remove the next time.

I know that when I tighten mine, my Torque wrench only goes up to 150, so I let it click and give it a bit more.  I have never had one loose on me yet.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Fit a new nut, I made the mistake last year when I did my engine swop, I only loosened my nuts in case I had problems with the drive shafts getting in the way when removing and refitting the engine, I fitted the engine in and torqued the hub nuts up and few months later my wheel bearings started to make noise and I found the hub nut was slightly lose and it had wrecked my wheel bearing. The front wheel bearings are a pain to change and involve a big press to get them in and out so £40 lighter after a new wheel bearing and a visit to a garage to remove and fit a new bearing I fitted a new nut.  :$The nuts are meant to be used once which is what I always used to do and I wished I did last time, lesson learned…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Wheel bearings can be pressed on the car, takes me about 30 minutes a side.

Wheel Bearings, on the Car

I use a bearing press that I bought at harbor freight, as well as a bearing separator to get the inner races off the hub.  

Axle bearings can be ruined in as little as 6 inches travel if the axles are off the car or the nuts are loose.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.