Skip navigation

Mk1 running badly with choke all the way out

Back to the top

Running badly when driving (stuttering kind of) and when coming to a stop it will sometimes stall or if it doesn't it will idle really low and take a while to build up to the right revs, PLEASE HELP

Wicked! I'm off today so I'm going to do mine, hopefully with the same results. 

1992 Clipper Cab converted to single headlights
Powered by 1.9 TSR Donnington gasflowed engine
4-1 manifold
Stainless steel custom exhaust system.
Now rocking a fresh new mohair roof and respray 🤙🏼

Back to the top
Bad news :( . It's happening again 😡, was running fine for a week or so but now it's cutting out again and I am constantly having to be pulling the choke out so it won't cut out and then putting it back in only for it to happen 10 minutes later. Did you have any luck with your carb flange? 

Back to the top
did you check out the metal steady bracket to the front of the carb like I mentioned in my post? if not then the new flange may be damaged :(

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I have fitted my new carb flange but still haven't had the car running yet, when I was messing about in the engine bay I noticed a few other bits and pieces that needed replacing so while I was in there I started replacing other parts so I'm now in the process of putting it all back together! Probably should of stuck with just doing one job at a time  :lol:

4-1 manifold

Back to the top
Eventually got to starting it up today.. still exactly the same as before :(.. have you tried anything else? My new carb flange isn't broke as I've fittted all of the correct fitting brackets to my Weber and I've checked it. 

My fuel filter is clean, I've replaced pretty much all electrical parts.. ht leads, coil pack, rotor arm, dizzy cap. I've replaced the air filter, checked all of my spark plugs. 

4-1 manifold

Back to the top
Have you tried blowing down the fuel lines?
Remove the pipe going to the fuel filter at the "in" end of the filter and blow down the fuel lines, you should be able to do this with your mouth and hear bubbles in the fuel tank.

I would then be looking at restricting your fuel return from the carb as the webber on some cars needs the fuel line restricted, I hear a welding tip fitted in the fuel line works well, you can remove and cap off the fuel return to check if any better short term but the carb really needs a return to stop flooding the carb.

There is a few threads on here about restricting the return line.  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I will try the blowing down the fuel lines and see if there is any sort of blockage. 

Surely it won't be the fuel return thing though as the car has ran fine for months (I bought it with the Weber carb on) and the problem came on relatively suddenly over a couple of weeks, getting progressively worse? 

Cheers for the pointers! 

Also gonna check things like the mass airflow sensor on the airbox??? 

4-1 manifold

Back to the top
well its easy to check the return issue, and is a common problem.

there is no mass airflow sensor on a carb ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Will do! 

Haha.. its a good job someone knows what they're talking about!