Skip navigation

Mk1 20vt - on a budget of £3k including buying the car

Back to the top

As the title says, £3k budget to build something special.

Interesting idea. Sounds like the parts collection is coming along nicely.

I must have a total up of mine………..then again perhaps not!  :P

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
looks like a good project be nice to see a few more pics of the car, are you planning on painting it. not sure about the clipper kit though, have you felt the weight of them

Back to the top
I am not too bothered at this stage regarding weight, just want original with a twist. Hence tin top and clipper. Will be fully resprayed in Helios Blue, I am doing all prep, primer, a mate is blowing over top coats, and I will do any cutting back and polishing. So just materials cost for the re spray. I should get more pictures over weekend as moved to a new barn so have some space to strip her completely back to see if there is any sinister bits, already found a bit on sun roof and inside scuttle. But so far that's all.

Back to the top
Any luck in buying the TT yet? ive seen a few go for below 800 quid round my neck of the woods. and i missed out on buying a Mk4 Gti turbo the other day, couldnt sign up in time… gutted.
And some pics would be good  ;)

Back to the top
I will start with some photos soon, today I picked up not want I was initially wanting but it was 5 miles up the road so couldn't say no. The 20vt lump. £350, complete AGU, Turbo, complete loom, chipped and Deimmobilised ECU,  O2J gearbox, rad and fans,  gear selector tower with all cables Under 100k miles no/VERY little play in turbo. Been looked after as it's had inlet powder coated in a crome colour and turbo look very shiny/new. Engine has no oil/mess built up over it, and house left on engine are Samco. As I already have the OBP pedal box a hydro box is a winner. 

I had a total up and I have a total spend including the car of £973

Parts I need:-
Service Kit
The correct driver shafts
Exhaust/ although I hope to make this and join it to the current 2.1/2 straight through to a rear box system.
16v tensioner
A diagram or measurements of mounts (current engine had urethane mounts so will try to encorporate them into the build. 
Seats
Wheels
Full cage would be idea, as I have a welded in rear brace.
New front wishbones.
Some sunny days to start stripping what I have got.

Still on budget for a complete mk1 20vt all for under 3k.

Back to the top
Nice work mate, it must be great when bargains pop up locally. I suppose you've been keeping your eyes peeled.

Great budget so far too. I spent about that on my shell alone  O_o

If you find some of those sunny days would you mind letting me know your supplier please  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So have spent a bit more time finding parts, (another bonnet without the scoop, so have options now, an Aluminium oil cooler and radiator, also landed a full conversion loom with stage 2 programmed ECU, de immobilised and full set of conversion mounts, etc etc total for all the extras £300, and conversion down pipe £245. The loom also came with full set of larger injectors, and a full set of coil packs. So went well over budget, but now have a complete AGU loom for sale, and deimmobilised ECU, also a set of injectors, and cool packs, which have gotta be worth what i paid for the conversion loom and mounts on their own. 

Back to the top
Some pics, which have been rather lacking IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1235.PNG IMG_1556.PNG IMG_1557.PNG

The wheels I got for £60 with nearly new proxy tyres

Back to the top
Started to have a clean up of the engine, starting with gearbox. And a change of oil. All I need to source now is a set of 100mm driveshafts and I'll have another to get engine in and test run. IMG_1759.JPG IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1773.JPG

With a bit of assistance from my daughter. So finally feels like I have parts, the weathers on my side, and we are moving forward. Scary thing is it's been nearly 12 months……. luckily I had planned for 5 years so not too worried, just grabbing an hour when I can.

Back to the top
Nice looking work and safety first, 10 out of 10 in my book! 👍

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.