Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf Cabriolet Full Restoration

Back to the top

Learn as I learn, as I take on my first ever rebuild.

Brad0671 said

Hi, just been looking through your resto I've just bought myself a 1988 cabby and just booked it in to get a new hood fitted also to sort the drivers seat out as there's a rip in the lower bolster and the foam has disappeared haha! I'm also based in Manchester 

Sounds good! Which part of Manchester? I'm currently based in Oldham 

Back to the top

CabChapp said

Brad0671 said

Hi, just been looking through your resto I've just bought myself a 1988 cabby and just booked it in to get a new hood fitted also to sort the drivers seat out as there's a rip in the lower bolster and the foam has disappeared haha! I'm also based in Manchester 

Sounds good! Which part of Manchester? I'm in Oldham 

Stalybridge so not far at all! 

Back to the top
It took a long while to locate and move into a sheltered unit and continue with the build. It's long over due but it sure feels good to have it inside.

I have since removed all water retentive elements now I am able to do so; Roof, Bonnet, Boot lid and Doors. I have also removed the front end in preparation for engine removal.

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

Back to the top

Brad0671 said

CabChapp said

Brad0671 said

Sounds good! Which part of Manchester? I'm currently based in Oldham 

Stalybridge so not far at all! 

It's nice to hear there's some locals knocking about on here. Let me know if you are ever going to any local meets or something. Would be cool to link up!

All the best

Back to the top
That's what I call a long term project!

I've tidied up your thread and removed the blank posts. Tag me if you want a post deleted again

Glad you've found somewhere dry! I found Manchester to be even more rainy that Cornwall and I was amazed. At least the rain down here is warmer.

Good luck sticking it all back together.

For wiring check out http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html
as they list all the wires in colour and placement which makes it easier to follow each wire from the fuse box to it's destination.

:thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Re:

borednow said

That's what I call a long term project!

I've tidied up your thread and removed the blank posts. Tag me if you want a post deleted again

Glad you've found somewhere dry! I found Manchester to be even more rainy that Cornwall and I was amazed. At least the rain down here is warmer.

Good luck sticking it all back together.

For wiring check out http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html
as they list all the wires in colour and placement which makes it easier to follow each wire from the fuse box to it's destination.

Ian
I know, right! I will not give up lol. Now I have it in a garage, work should move a lot quicker.

That's great thanks for giving it a tidy! And for the wiring link too. It looks to be a great help and I'll definitely need all the help I can get.

This is true, everytime I've been to Cornwall it has had episodes of rain even during the summer time. I attended boardmasters a few years ago and we fell victim to the rain fall. Like you say though, it is warmer for sure.

Back to the top
The engine is out at last!  IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Change of plans! Its now time to announce a new friend of mine to the build thread, Austin the ABF!

No longer will I be refitting the original engine; feel free to private message me if you're interested in the lump or the Weber 36 TLP carburettor. These carbs are very difficult to source especially new like mine, so don't sleep on it for too long!

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Back to the top

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
All hands on deck and more progress was made..
I am soon to be looking at having the shell dipped or media blasted. If you have any experience with either of these methods, please don't hesitate to share any knowledge. Thanks!

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

With special thanks to my cousin for the extra pair of hands! 

Back to the top
You did well stripping the car in that garage..  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Golf rollover rig.jpg

More progress made; The new Rollover jig will allow for the restoration process to be a lot more enjoyable.

More pictures to follow once shell has been chemical dipped or media blasted, thus revealing the true extent of work to be carried out. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.