Skip navigation

Fifty shades of Red - Mk1 golf C 1982 also known as "Roy"

Back to the top
Hi all, been a member for just over a year since owning a car so now I think it's time to start my thread the real project won't begin until the end of summer butI thought I might aswell start up the project thread ready for when the fun begins.
The list on things I'll hopefully be doing include;
Respray
Engine conversion
Coil-overs
Recaro interior or some other bucket seats
Hopefully some BBS split rims or some nice OZ turbos
Maybe slightly flared arches to allow for some big meaty wheels.

The list is vague for now but I'm sure it will become more specific by the time I come to start the work.

As you can see the car is multiple shades of red hence the title "fifty shades of red"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hi, and welcome  :thumbs:

Lovely looking car, love the colour.

Are you stripping it down before the respray?

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Hi, and welcome  :thumbs:

Lovely looking car, love the colour.

Are you stripping it down before the respray?

Matt

Yeah mate, so gonna carry out a couple of jobs whilst at it, gonna get it up on a rollover jig and carry out any welding that will probably need doing in places but mainly just gonna strip down and re-protect the underneath and strip sand prep for the paint properly, make sure I get it done properly first time round :)

Back to the top
Hi and Welcome.
That's I nice golf! That's the same colour as mine! Gambia red Awesome colour! Are you going to get it sprayed in the same colour?

Back to the top

Mk1 golf C build - Roy - Fifty Shades of Red

So not much had happened with Roy for quite a few months, so busy with starting uni and fixing my daily which got crashed meant that the golf was sat standing for a few months under a cover (thankfully).
Finally got round to getting him inside somewhere nice and dry for me to work on him.

A few pictures of the last time he'll see sunlight for what could be a long time.

Started to strip him down ready to pull engine out and change the interior of the car

Slow progress at the moment but Hopefully with the latest instalment of my student loan the wait won't be as long until I next keep you guys updated, hopefully some exciting things to come soon

Back to the top
Ah the joys of a student loan! Remember them well  :P

Looks fairly solid though so far  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Ah the joys of a student loan! Remember them well  :P

Looks fairly solid though so far  :thumbs:

Amazingly solid so far very impressed with it, previous owner certainly protected it well, no rust or anything on the inside of the car.

Back to the top
Good to see you have started things, couple of words of advice to help and save time later on…
Bag, label and box as much as possible and keep in a safe place
Take lots and lots of pictures so you can look back to how things came apart.
Look after any bit's of rubber and trim, try to keep as flat or in there original shape as possible.

DON'T GIVE UP ON THE PROJECT, far to many unfinished projects and a stripped car with boxes of bits is worth less than a whole car.

I would also not be putting my tools on the plastic scuttle rain tray above your heater blower, to buy genuine VW ones your looking at £150 ish for a thin bit of plastic which is silly money, you can get repo ones for £25 bit supply can be a bit hit and miss.

Keep us updated.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Good to see you have started things, couple of words of advice to help and save time later on…
Bag, label and box as much as possible and keep in a safe place
Take lots and lots of pictures so you can look back to how things came apart.
Look after any bit's of rubber and trim, try to keep as flat or in there original shape as possible.

DON'T GIVE UP ON THE PROJECT, far to many unfinished projects and a stripped car with boxes of bits is worth less than a whole car.

I would also not be putting my tools on the plastic scuttle rain tray above your heater blower, to buy genuine VW ones your looking at £150 ish for a thin bit of plastic which is silly money, you can get repo ones for £25 bit supply can be a bit hit and miss.

Keep us updated.  :thumbs:

Thanks for the tips especially putting tools on the scuttle tray, didn't realise how delicate they are so won't leave them there in the future.

As for bagging up labelling all the little things that could be lost I've done that so far with every single nut and bolt that has come off the car I've learned from spending hours on these forums that time spent now doing the little tedious jobs will save plenty of time and money when everything goes back together.

I'll never give up on the project no matter how long it takes to get done, it was my first car and it's sentimental value to me is ridiculously high haha.

Cheers for the advice I hope to keep you updated very soon.

Back to the top

No turning back now

Now to focus on sourcing an engine, the big question 1.8 20VT or 2.0 16V. I'd love to know your opinions guys on which engine you'd chose and why.

Back to the top
20VT will give you loads more power potential easily.

However, something like the 9a 2.0 16V I had in my old Rado is a great engine. Guess you could chuck a charger on it like lhasadreams  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

20VT will give you loads more power potential easily.

However, something like the 9a 2.0 16V I had in my old Rado is a great engine. Guess you could chuck a charger on it like lhasadreams  :cool:

Precisely the dilemma I have, there's way more 1.8 20VT out there for sale but I do prefer the 2.0 16v haha.

Back to the top
Yeah I'd go 16v, be different ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Yeah I'd go 16v, be different ;)

Only problem now is finding one haha

Back to the top
True!! 1.8 KR should be easy to find I would think, 2.0 not so much

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

So I might have picked up something special for the golf today I have no pictures so I'll let you all guess on what I've got today.

Back to the top
New engine??

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

New engine??

2.0 16v ABF picked up yesterday, looking to fit Jenvey throttle bodies or similar set up if one comes up for the right price

Back to the top
Oh wow nice find Joe!  :thumbs:

It looks mint - fully refurb'd or just painted?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Oh wow nice find Joe!  :thumbs:

It looks mint - fully refurb'd or just painted?

Partially refurbished and painted, it's bad head skimmed and valve stem seals and some other seals done too plus cylinder bores have been inspected too so shouldn't be having any problems from it hopefully.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.