Skip navigation

Auto wont start!

Back to the top
Removing a Auto Starter is about a 1 hour start to finish.

Knowing that you need about 18 inches of Extensions, and a Wobble end on one.  Tape the socket to the extension.

Remove the Heat shield bolts on the back first.
Remove the Heat shield 13mm bolt next.
Then the power from the battery,
Power lead from the starter,  and solenoid
Remove the other two bolts.

Going back you sort of start the bottom bolt, then put the back brace on to hold it while you get the other two started and installed …. The top one I usually Use masking tape to hold it where it goes, or Tape the Bolt to the Socket.

here is how I do it.

Automatic Starter Removal/Install | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Right I'm back on this now. I changed the ignition switch as an easy job, its not that. I will try the suggestions from John tomorrow and post up. Really frustrating as it fired once then nothing the next time? I will not trust the car until I identify the problem, cheers for the help so far

Back to the top
I'm no expert but my 90 auto clipper behaved in the same way as you describe - mine turned out to be the Clifford immobiliser - operated with a 3mm 'headphone' type jack.
mine conked out waiting for a ferry at Calais having enjoyed a great weekend in Amsterdam (how could anyone not enjoy Amsterdam?!. and embarrassingly had to be towed onto the boat. I was expecting to have to be towed off again but it started fine. it then behaved itself for several weeks until it happened again. It was at that point I noticed that the immobiliser may be at fault and wiggling the wires at the back of the immobiliser socket worked but then I ditched it altogether. Touch wood, its been ok ever since…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.