Skip navigation

cylinder head rebuild queries / valve removal 1.8 8v

Back to the top
You can also tell it's solid lifters as it has the 5 caps for the cam shaft, hydraulic only have 4…

Not sure about a tool but I remember them being a pig to pull off with long nose pliers, can you borrow another pair of long nose pliers which may have a little more grip?

Picture of the end of the valve guide with the spring seat removed so you have an idea of what's below the seal.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I have shims on my Mk1 Scirocco head you could get new shims from VW a few years ago if you need to change them, the problem I found was the writing with the size of them had worn away so I had to use a micrometre to measure them then refit the cam turn over the camshaft then measure the gap with feeler gauges and work out what size I needed.
The gaps are in the Haynes manual.

So it may be a good idea to make a note of what size shims for have already fitted.

You can also get shims here.
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g1other.php

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
big help thanks.

the oil seals are now all off! i made a right mess of them literally tore them to pieces..  i was being overly careful because i was worried about damaging the guides.

so the head is now totally bare.
the idea was to do a cost effective clean up of this engine before putting it into my car.

i have noticed this engine im rebuilding (EV) to replace my current (DX)   has an extra hole on the back of the cylinder head just above the inlet manifold. its house a black plastic housing with 1 screw holding it in place and a small spout to push a hose onto.  my current dx doesnt have this so can anyone explain to me what i do with this and why its there.  ive tried to search for old topics but when i click the link it keeps taking me back to this sites home page.

1983 mk1 gti white bought as a daily now in pieces.. 

Back to the top
Is it this bit?

It's for the air shroud injectors, basically extra air is blown past the end of the injectors to help with mixture but reading on here it does not make any real difference and if you don't have the extra pipe work on your car to make it work just blank the hole off so no dirt etc gets in there.

Pipe runs here.

Back to the top
yep thats the one. on my ev head it was a flat black plastic plate with an injection molded nipple that screwed onto the cylinder head and then a small hose that attached but obviously i didnt know where it went to in the car because i collected the engine from a pallet.

the air shroud type injectors in the ev head use the 2 part injector housings ( metal top half with brittle plastic lower half)

if i want to use my dx injectors as they are new and very good condition do i buy the one piece injector housing that are in the dx head..

the reason for this question is if i want to use the EV style injectors with air shroud tips on them im told i cant use my current metering head and injector lines because the threads are different?  

Back to the top
Now that I don't know…
I have an DX engine and head but I guess being an 1988 car it's the later type with the air shroud injectors
I found this link but again it seems wrong as I have the 1.8 DX with air shroud?

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Ffuel-systems-and_3%2Fare-these-suitable-o

One person on here will know as he knows everything.
rubjonny can you help?

Back to the top
Check here for pretty pictures with part numbers.
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/InjectorTypes.pdf

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
thanks Briano1234

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.