Skip navigation

Louie's 83 GTI Build

Back to the top
May have been naughty and bought myself a 3rd project… Metal work on it is great though so just going to get it through the MOT and have it for a run around.

18120023_10208944609593315_1553290239_o.jpg

Raptor was given another layer of base coat for good luck then lacquered. Pictures don't do it justice!

20170425_203825.jpg 20170425_204226.jpg 20170425_204246.jpg

20170425_203814(0).jpg

Sneak peak of the engine bay in colour. Will upload pictures of that after a polish.

20170425_125348.jpg

Back to the top
Superb work, I honestly envy you!  O_o  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
golf Cabrio  - Cheers bud, got to say I've had a lot of help getting it here!

How's your Mk1 doing?

Back to the top
Any updates? It's been months since the last one.

Back to the top
chrisL - Hi mate, phone lost all my pics but matey had a few on his phone (Bit lower picture quality).

Back when the engine bay's high build was rubbed down.

Bay High Build 1.jpg

New genuine bonnet from VW Heritage, being put into 2pac high build primer.

Bonnet Scotch.jpg

Bonnet Etch.jpg

Bonnet HB.jpg

Interior was bare metaled entirely, rubbed down with 180 before filler work, etch priming and being put into high build primer.

Interior Bare Metal 2.jpg

Interior FIller.jpg

Interior Etch.jpg

Interior HB 7.jpg

Interior High Build 6.jpg

Rubbed down ready for paint.

Interior HB 8.jpg

Interior High Build 3.jpg

Back to the top
One of the pictures I still have for interior in colour, will get some again soon.

Interior Paint 1.jpg

Front arches were rolled and inner wings Raptor'd & lacquered.

Wings Raptor.jpg

Inside of the doors and tailgate were put into high build, lost these pictures but have this 1 of a door after high build was rubbed down.

Door High Build 2.jpg

Guide coat applied.

Guide Coat 2.jpg

Guide Coat 3.jpg

Guide Coat 4.jpg

Guide Coat.jpg

Back to the top
Sneak peak of my BBS RM's. Fresh refurbish, with new dishes, bolts and valves. Looked very much different when I got them!

20536239_10154993418363789_461756944_o.jpg

Back to the top
My mate wanted to try his new toy so he sprayed the inside of the bonnet in his inflatable booth!

Bonnet Paint.jpg

Had months of problems with metal finishing with parts not being up to standard. Eventually found somewhere which convinced me on their Zinc Nickel plating with the salt spray testing over 1000 hours so couldn't complain. The larger yellow parts at the top were a bit too green, so sent them back them to get that original golden finish.

Zinc Nickle Plating.jpg

Top guys they sorted it out in no time, I understand colour matching with different pieces/material can be a right pain but they've done a top job!

Yellow Zinc.jpg

Started laying out a few parts to get it rolling. Every nut, bolt, bush and bearing replaced with new and metal finished.

Assembly 1.jpg

Assembly 5.jpg

Back to the top

One hell of a restoration!  :king:

Back to the top

Louie's 83 GTI Build

Crazy and awesome a Full Dream of each mk1 Fan…  can't wait to see it finished.. than you can get my mk1 to do the same.. smile

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Back to the top
Excellent, well that didn't disappoint.

The zinc plating looks superb and will go great against the fresh paint.

Is the rear beam powder coated?
What Coilovers have you gone for?

Back to the top
All those fixings etc laid out on the table is OCD heaven!  :wub:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
WOW….

Superb attention to detail, this is amazing and I cant wait to see the next stage updates, more over the finished car…!!

Credit to you, a MK1 owners dream a rebuild such as this.

WOW….

Back to the top
Drool worthy collection of parts there  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Wow. I feel inspired!:thumbs: are those all original fixings that you have had zinc'd? Who did them for you?

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments! The pictures make it seem more straight forward than it ever is, everything has had a problem somewhere. Zinc plating was sent to 3 different companies for example until I was happy!

Baggins -  I used AG in Birmingham for mine, they're top guys, Alan is really knowledgeable and helpful so if you go with them make sure you're clear with them as to what you want as normally Yellow finishes show more green. But they do a good price on Zinc Nickel and it's a much more lasting finishing than standard zinc.

chrisL - I had the beam powdercoated mate but it didn't go inside at all really so will use a rust treatment on that to protect it internally. Coilovers are H&R twin tube, got them from Germany a couple years back the the Euro was a good rate luckily!

Back to the top
Is it painted yet?

Back to the top
Didn't take many pictures when getting it rolling but will get plenty of it all when it's complete. Stub axles were also plated to stop any rust between the backing plate and rear beam. H&R coilovers fitted with new genuine bushes. Powdercoated steel brake lines, black HEL braided hoses, new rear brakes and handbrake cables.
Anti roll bar is only cable tied on as stainless clamps are being blacked and haven't had them back yet.

22550816_10155185945608789_1779892114_o (1).jpg

Fuel tank was new then powdercoated black, 2 pipes were rubbed down by the powdercoaters and rusted in storage but they were cleaned up before fitting new hoses. Also new sender unit and Neoprene tape applied. Had to buy thinner neoprene tape for the new tank straps to get them to fit, but all together now.

22522309_10155185669883789_1861054447_o.jpg

22550584_10155186032453789_1033319245_o.jpg

A bit dusty but all clean up front with all new and metal finished nuts, bolts and washers. Everything but the hub itself is brand new, Hub was powdercoated satin black

22563448_10155186032368789_1399658785_o (1).jpg

Back to the top
Last couple pics before paint.

2.JPG

4.0.jpg

Finally!

4.1.JPG

4.2.JPG

4.3.JPG

4.4.JPG

4.5.JPG

5.jpg

Next up the shell itself.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Back to the top
2 years of bodywork building to this moment!

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.jpg

19.JPG

20.JPG

Finally it's home!

22.jpg

All flatted back and polished on the exterior, tried on the NOS Frankani tail lights I picked up on here a while ago. Tailgate will be worked into position again soon will make the lights line up better.

23.jpg

Only had 2 BBS built up to see how they fit, reckon I can get another 1/2 inch under the rear arch for the other 2.

24.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.