Skip navigation

83 Tin Top Project

Back to the top
well yesterday i took a trip to the bodyshop to check on the progress, seems that there is more to do on this than i could of imagined lol a bit disappointing as i was told the car had been fully restored only 7 years ago. turns out that there are tiny bit of rust on most panels and the whole bottom of the drivers door needs replacing. is also appear that there i not one single panel that isnt full of filler! currently he is now working on cutting out the old rear arch and welding in the new one.

ive now ordered a repair panel for the door however and looks like this is now over 1k in repairs! ;-( i really hope it worth it!

all this has now got me thinking about the value of the car. as this is my first golf im not sure what its worth. i mean i know what i paid and ill be honest i paid A LOT! what are peoples thoughts on the value of my golf once completed and freshly painted??

anyway i post up the pictures i took yesterday

Back to the top
Keep a record, pictures and receipts of all the work that's being done to the car so when you do come to sell it someone can see it's been done properly and not just a quick fill and blow over to hide the rust which seem that has happened in the past.
From new these cars only lasted about 10 years before lots ended up in scrap yards there is alot of corners mud and rust can hide so make sure it's properly treated and protected and checked regular as it's easier to treat a little bit of surface rust underneath before the rust starts to eats it way through the metal.
The value of theses cars is still going up so it should be worth it in the end, you are doing the right thing keeping another Mk1 on the road.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Keep a record, pictures and receipts of all the work that's being done to the car so when you do come to sell it someone can see it's been done properly and not just a quick fill and blow over to hide the rust which seem that has happened in the past.
From new these cars only lasted about 10 years before lots ended up in scrap yards there is alot of corners mud and rust can hide so make sure it's properly treated and protected and checked regular as it's easier to treat a little bit of surface rust underneath before the rust starts to eats it way through the metal.
The value of theses cars is still going up so it should be worth it in the end, you are doing the right thing keeping another Mk1 on the road.

Thanks very much for your words of support. Least I know it's being done correctly!  I'm looking at about £1200+ in body repairs so far.i always knew that the value of these was something that was going to keep going up, even if yes only a little bit. I do have a little notebook with dates of everything that's been done plus a folder full of receipts so I know I've got all that as back up lol.

Back to the top
Ok update time lol. Well the car have been in the workshop another week.

Drivers door has now been repaired and in the process found a stupid amount of filler which is basically all over lol, new rear arch has been fitted and all the sills and wings have also been repaired. The car in now all ready for paint which I hope is being done as I type this!

I'll let some pictures do the talking.

Stupid amount of filler has been used!

Ready for paint

Back to the top
So the painting has started!

Back to the top
well i got her back last Monday and she looks great now in terms of bodywork. final cost was £1150! ouch!

hopefully she will be worth it!

the list of things i want to look at now are

1. Gear Linkage. - i have the parts simply need to book her in for the work doing.

2. drivers door window now wont go up and down since being repaired. ive adjusted the bolt in the middle of the handle but always seems to slip now and wont bring the window down?

3. Dash lights need sorting.

4. some sort of audio system and new speakers.

5. new headlights as one has a crack. thinking of getting smoked ones from VW heritage.

6. steering wheel needs centring and the tracking and balancing needs doing.

7. ideally id like to replace the rear window as currently the heater elements don't work.

8. my heater control needs looking at as the slider doesn't move easily and wont go all the way to the "hot" end lol.

if anyone can assist on any of these that would be awesome!

Back to the top
ok so ive had the car back a few weeks now and although the work has been done to a great finish there are some areas that it will need to go back for.

not great after just a few weeks!

the car was today taken to the garage to have the gear linkage replaced. but turns out ive got the mk2 kit and not the mk1! so thats something ill have to re buy! if anyone needs a mk2 gear linkage kit let me know!

the car was also running very rough for a few days last week. after some investigation it turns out that the dizzy cap had come loose at the bottom and resulted in the rotor arm spinning round and making a mess. anyway new rotor arm on, dizzy cap cleaned up and new fuel filter also fitted and it seems to be running much better.

however to me the engine still needs some work and it still feels un smooth sometimes. its also using oil. im thinking that biting the bullet and having a full new head gasket set along with stem seals will be on the cards soon.

ive also got some new carb filters coming and also taken delivery on a new boot strut.

ive also fitted a new battery!

On the other hand she looks fuc**ng epic

Last edit: by Nova15

Back to the top
Glad its all back on the road, is that rust along the sill?
Your fuel hose near the fuel filter looks cracked so it may be a good idea to change it as fuel hose is not that expensive but an engine fire is.
You also seem to have the wrong type of jubilee clips either side of the fuel filter, there is special fuel hose clips which seal along the whole pipe not just in one bit like normal jubilee clips.

Any motor factors will sell them and they are not much more than standard clips, they look like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zinc-Plated-Jubilee-Mini-Hose-Clips-Clamps-Pipe-Nut-Bolt-Air-Fuel-Water-AFS-/271076156058?var=&hash=item3f1d65e29a:m:mzhLNSHNdh7rrqnrz9dJq1Q

Bigger picture here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-FUEL-LINE-304-STAINLESS-STEEL-JUBILEE-HOSE-CLIP-CLAMP-DIESEL-PETROL-PIPE-/301235155392?var=&hash=item462303b1c0:m:muxlJtIT-0rUb_VNEGdBY0A

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Glad its all back on the road, is that rust along the sill?
Your fuel hose near the fuel filter looks cracked so it may be a good idea to change it as fuel hose is not that expensive but an engine fire is.
You also seem to have the wrong type of jubilee clips either side of the fuel filter, there is special fuel hose clips which seal along the whole pipe not just in one bit like normal jubilee clips.

Any motor factors will sell them and they are not much more than standard clips, they look like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zinc-Plated-Jubilee-Mini-Hose-Clips-Clamps-Pipe-Nut-Bolt-Air-Fuel-Water-AFS-/271076156058?var=&hash=item3f1d65e29a:m:mzhLNSHNdh7rrqnrz9dJq1Q

Bigger picture here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-FUEL-LINE-304-STAINLESS-STEEL-JUBILEE-HOSE-CLIP-CLAMP-DIESEL-PETROL-PIPE-/301235155392?var=&hash=item462303b1c0:m:muxlJtIT-0rUb_VNEGdBY0A

Wow that's sole great info, what size do I need?

Back to the top
well not updated anything for ages!

new headlights have arrived and soon ill be fitting them. also making some calls about having the valve stem oil seals done along with the head gasket. any advice on other things worth changing while doing the head gasket?

currently having issues with no power to the radio and the clock on the cluster has gone out as well. assume they are connected for some reason.

once ive got the new lights in ill try get some more pictures up.

the car will have to go back to the bodyshop at some point as there are some bubbles coming through from the repair work. ive spoken with the company and they are more than willing to sort it out so this is good news

Back to the top
ok so been a crazy few days!

my radio and dash clock stopped working last week and ive now fixed that by checking the fuses!

new lights ordered a few weeks ago also and the first set arrived smashed! very upset!

after having a quick chat with VW Heritage they sent out a new one fairly quickly!

so today in the freezing cold i fit them with numb hands!

yes i know my bonnet is up at one side and i have no idea why lol!

also tried to get the gear linkage sorted and this has been greatly improved by my local indi! how ever he has comfirmed i am missing a key part!

ive located the part i need and its not expensive!

cheeky snow pictures

Then yesterday on the way home from work i broke down lol! car was loosing power and didnt want to move! eventually i came to a stop in the middle of a junction, where i had to wait 10 minutes before i could get it going again! once i managed to get home i found this

https://youtu.be/Tntvrwa_UnU

so new coil ordered!

Back to the top
Yep rubber ball missing from the end of the arm.
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/golf-mk1/171711163E/gear-relay-lever-with-ball-mk1-golf-scirocco-1983/

Is that the same damaged coil you photographed back in November?
Not surprised it went wrong and the car broke down.  

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Yep rubber ball missing from the end of the arm.
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/golf-mk1/171711163E/gear-relay-lever-with-ball-mk1-golf-scirocco-1983/

Is that the same damaged coil you photographed back in November?
Not surprised it went wrong and the car broke down.  

yeah its been broken for year apparently and has caused no issue? seems to be kangarooing at low rpm since ive had the car as well, im hoping the new coil will sort this!

Back to the top
ok a quick update!

broke down twice this week! seems the fuel pump either has a loose connection or is on its way out! its a Facet low pressure pump so im currently looking into getting another!

ive been told it doesn't matter that its rusted as they are a sealed unit

at first i thought it was the coil causing the problem but i have now replaced this with a new one.

also got my LED sidelights installed into the new headlights and they look great!

also got the car booked back into Bogg Brothers in Malton to have the head gasket, valve steam oil seals and all the other head gasket stuff sorted, this may also involve having the pistons reseated apparently! once this has been done its having the carbs re set up and put on the rolling road to ensure its running as it should.

also wondering if i should replace the water pump at the same time? however not sure which one i need?

Back to the top
ok guys so after 3 weeks and almost £1000 in top end work ive finally got her back.

the head was completely restored and is now in top condition! all the carbs have been set up and the car was put on the rolling road to ensure correct fuelling and air intake

However! the day after i got her back the back box has decided to have a big hole in it!! so now ive got a nice sounding engine back but cant hear it as she sounds like a tank lol

Typical so now im after and exhaust!

Back to the top
Worth running the head/engine in and take it steady for 500 miles and then change the oil and filter again just incase there is any tiny bits of metal left after the head was rebuilt.

No more than 3000 rpm and no more than 1/2 throttle.

Back to the top
You kno

mark1gls said

Worth running the head/engine in and take it steady for 500 miles and then change the oil and filter again just incase there is any tiny bits of metal left after the head was rebuilt.

No more than 3000 rpm and no more than 1/2 throttle.

You know you are the first person to tell me that. I've been driving it quite enthusiastic as well now. Should I be worried.

I've also.noticed that since getting her back she is running much hotter than she used to as well

Back to the top
Good on you for not giving up on it. I'd be sick by now   :lol:

Back to the top

heartagram said

Good on you for not giving up on it. I'd be sick by now   :lol:

yeah its been crazy hard and there have ben time ive wanted to just give up and sell her. just cant seem to lol

plus this week saw my exhaust completely fall off!

so off i go down to Tony Banks in Leeds to spend even more money. after that its new discs and pads all round an 2 new tyres!

any recommendations on the disks and pads to get

Back to the top
Great car you have to bring it to the leeds meet when we start them again!
Bet it sounds great!!!!

:thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.