Skip navigation

My new Sportline project.

Back to the top
Well will definitely be getting heat shield sorted for the boot in the short term. Will be ringing garage first thing......

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Good news is I've informed the garage about the potential issues and wrapping/heat shield is underway. Cheers guys😀

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Well I finally got it back yesterday - never missed a car so much. It's strange as an old Porsche Boxster was sat behind it the other day. A nice colour (Zenith blue I think) and in presentable order with some detailing needed. The owner was selling it and only wanted £3k - exactly what I paid for mine last year. Yet - according to my mechanic - people were coming into the garage pouring over the Sportline and overlooking the Porsche! I suppose what in saying is as much as I have always wanted a Porsche, I still wouldn't be without my Sportline. Any way I digress!

So the car is done - for now. It's had a new fuel tank, various fuel pipes that needed to be made from scratch, complete rear brake refurb inc. cables and hoses, new (aforementioned) 4-2-1 stainless manifold, new standard centre section, refurbed OEM rear box and a complete underbody waxoil. Granted nothing much different in the looks department, but credit card money well spent! The car is certainly a lot quieter, smoother and tighter feeling to drive. So apologies for the pics but it's hard to make good I phone pics of the underneath and deep in the engine bay.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The car needed a jolly good clean after being in the workshop (with the hood down the whole time) so a bit of detailing was done. A good excuse to fit the OC sticker (thanks mattandsusie) and my tonneau that arrived today (thanks MrP). So it's been a good, if a bit expensive, coupe of days. 

Gave the engine bay a bit of a clean ( its an honest daily so it's hardly concours I know!) and a couple of other pics in the sun. All in all I'm a happy chappy.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

Nice Cabby!

I'm interested in the extractors for my Cabby. Is the branding on the box TTEFTECH or TIEFTECH Racing and Tuning? Its difficult to read given the angle of the carton in the photo.

Cheers

Back to the top

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

Nice Cabby!

I'm interested in the extractors for my Cabby. Is the branding on the box TTEFTECH or TIEFTECH Racing and Tuning? Its difficult to read given the angle of the carton in the photo.

Cheers

It's 'Tieftech' mate. They're on eBay for £145 and I paid £130 by making an offer. There may be some doubters at this price but with a ten year guarantee it was a cost effective solution for me.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Looking good!  :wub:

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top
Very nice bud… i do like a Sporline :thumbs: (mine is currently in the garage having an MOT - waiting for the call)

Back to the top
Thanks for all the positive comments! Sorted out wheel well three of four this evening. Decided to clear laquer the rear drums to preserve the 'new' look to them. A bit of satin black and some degreasing/scrubbing and the result is not too bad. It's not concours but good enough to keep it usable I reckon. I've been meaning to do this ever since I saw Richy Hill do it to his Sportline a while back!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Now come on be honest with us please.
You young son did all the work (like on the wheels) and your just taking the credit for it!  ;)  :lol:

Seriously it looks stunning, well done!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
I thought that's why I had kids???!!!!! It still has plenty of imperfections but I'm slowly working through it all.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
image.jpg Re-sprayed wiper arms again. Still not 100% happy so will have them powder coated when the big bill of 2017 is looming (bonnet/bumpers/valances/rear arch area respray, new windscreen and header seal). Got a press stud replaced on the tonneau dor very reasonable £2! Looking forward to Bristol Show on Sunday so trying to keep the daily clean and cringing on the school run… image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Just before the heavens opened a bit more detail work. So after many months of trying and being disappointed with keep the black side trims errr… black, I decided to take the plunge with a few coats of satin black - Edd China style! Looks better I think so may do the b pillars one day. While I was at it I repainted the bumper iron bits that surround the front indicators and polished the tailpipe on the original OEM back box. Then when it all clean and shiny, I picked up the kids from school in the rain and got it dirty again - yay!! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
They definitely look black  :lol:  look good too, nice job  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks! Hoping to take this one to a higher level than my last but keep it usable daily. This is my last one before taken to Spain by new owner in 2011!  

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Today is Father's Day! Well it is for me anyway insofar as my present came through the post today! A correct font 'Golf GTI' rear badge and a rear badge refurb kit. I'll get the Karmann and front GTI badge one later - I wanted to see how these turned out first! 

So pulled off my old ones revealing that the mk2 one is fubarred and bodged on more than I thought. Luckily the ones in keeping were good. 

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

So on to the refurb. In short the badges need to be super clean so scrubbed them in soapy water and rinsed/dried ten properly. To apply them requires a steady hand and some patience with tweezers. Brings me back to my model making days! Anyway I think they look ok and they'll be on tomorrow. Apparently they bond more over time but I'm wondering whether a thin coat of laquer would help longevity or look pants?! 

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Done and an improvement I think. The profile of the old mk2 badge was quite different so a bit of t cut and polish required!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Well I think they look excellent and I'd like to do that with mine but it won't happen because of two small problems.  :(

I lack good eyesight and a steady hand!  :'(

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Just had a read through your thread, what a lovely car you have! Serious envy on the cleanliness and inspiring at the same time.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.