Skip navigation

My new Sportline project.

Back to the top

Lanky512 said

Mudflaps look great, as do your window scrapers. I need to buy those also. How many clips are on each one?

Lanky512 said

Mudflaps look great, as do your window scrapers. I need to buy those also. How many clips are on each one?

The clips for the rubbers stay attached  on the car when you remove the old rubbers carefully. Most of the rubber presses in where the old rubbers were as the clips are metal and have a certain amount of flexibility. It's only the last clip I had to persuade a tad with a flat bladed screwdriver. Need to invest in a proper set of trim removal tools really……

That's my golf fun today - back to the Passat 'flip' tomorrow to pop up for sale at the weekend!

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Thanks mate, good to know :-) 

Back to the top

richyhill said

They look really good!

Think I was the guy with the mk2 ones, link on my clipper link below :-)

richyhill
Hi Rich,
The mud flaps that I saw had the white molded VW logo on the fronts, was that yours because it was in 2012 but I can't remember the members name!  :ocf_emoticons__wheelchair:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Not such a great day for the Sportline… Fuel tank leaking from the seam after filling to the brim with momentum! It's obviously a no brainer to replace but as it's coming off I'd like to get some other things done. So fuel pump bracket, connected pipe, filters too. Also wax oiling (looked very solid underneath on the ramp thankfully!) rear brake refurb and possibly exhaust. I had wanted a stainless standard style one really but just not in the (imaginary!) budget. The down pipe is the crustiest part and blowing at the manifold a bit. This standard part is relatively inexpensive but I've seen a 4-2-1 stainless one on eBay for £150. So do I get this and get the rest when funds allow or for that money is the stainless one a bit rubbish? It's the same one sold over here by a company called 'retrofication' 10 year guarantee- anyone bought one? It's eBay item no 401085961168.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Bet you smelt that quickly! Sounds like a constructive list even though your wallet won't like it :D My fuel pumps knocks on the body work when its low or just filled up, broken bracket you reckon? Can't say I've bought anything exhaust wise for a long time, Hope you get it all sorted mate.

Back to the top
Yeah it's the way it goes sometimes- it's an old car used daily. Think I'm going for the full standard exhaust, wax oil, rear brakes, and tank etc. for now. Will retain as much serviceable/restorablestuff as possible. Will be keeping the car for many years to come so I can get a stainless exhaust long term anyway.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
golf Cabrio - No mind didn't have the white logo mate

Must have been someone else

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Spent some money today :o. New fuel tank, filter, pipe to filler neck, rear brake refurb kit, wheel bearings and exhaust down pipe. The stainless exhaust will keep for a bit. Hopefully get it fixed next week with a waxoil job while it's all off. Good job I'm a paid member now!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
While I wait for the fitting of the fuel/exhaust/brake stuff and waxoil Ive had to get things on the cheap! So today new BBS RA replica decals and hella spot decals in black. As you can see the BBS stuff isn't exact but good enough IMO. Not all of mine were water damaged but once I'd done three, I couldn't live with the slightly different reflective properties of the fourth so had to change them all…….

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
image.jpg While I wait for the fitting of the fuel/exhaust/brake stuff and waxoil Ive had to get things on the cheap! So today new BBS RA replica decals and hella spot decals in black. As you can see the BBS stuff isn't exact but good enough IMO. Not all of mine were water damaged but once I'd done three, I couldn't live with the slightly different reflective properties of the fourth so had to change them all…….

image.jpg image.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Nice job on the stickers.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Forgot to post these ones! Cleaned hood and front seats yesterday. Hood came out ok but not as well as I'd hoped. Bagged a black tonneau from MrP a couple of weeks ago so hoping that comes through soon (?!).  

Also cleaned engine bay a bit albeit not show standard, just presentable I guess. Car going in for its more major work underneath on the 16th so fingers crossed it goes according to my financial plan.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
How did you get the black looking so good on the wheels? 💗👍

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Cleaning them methodically on a daily OCD basis and using the terry cloth that's been impregnated with the wax/polish/silicone I used previously on the bodywork. Key is getting your finger in all the indentations which makes the light shine off it at different angles I guess. If I'm this bad it's RAs imagine my OCD with a set of RMs…….!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Well it's not done yet and there have been issues. The original exhaust centre box after 23 years service was at the end of its life and not really worth putting back on. So another has been sourced - it's not genuine but it's hard to tell the difference to honest, so no big deal.

However the cast manifold divider piece at the outlet (not sure what it's called) was broken which explained the rattling under load and is also scrap. I did buy a new downpipe but obviously won't cure a potential back pressure issue. So I've bitten the bullet and bought what appears to be a good value stainless 4-2-1 manifold for £130. It's a modification I know but I was faced with few options on budget and I need my daily driver back! Eventually I'll have a full stainless standard style exhaust but to say I'm skint now is an understatement! Wife not really amused!

If anyone wants a brand new downpipe and fitting kit, I have one hey ho……..!

Resprayed the OEM back box which has just survived. …… want my car back now but at least some of the exhaust/brake/wheel bearing noises may have gone. I'll post some pics when it's sorted!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
image.jpeg

Well manifold has arrived and I have to say I had my doubts before but now it's here it's a nice piece of kit for £130 with a good quality fitting kit. Cars fuel system nearly sorted. Turns out the filler neck replaced with a tin top one earlier in its life so explains some angle issues. No more money to replace that as well though and it's in good nick. Can't wait to get it back!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Are you going to wrap the manifold?

Also you may need a boot or heat protective plate to shield heat away from the rubber steering boot. The manifold runs very close. Is had happened in the past where one guy lost his whole cabby as it went up in smoke.  :(

This is what I used on my tintop and works reasonably well.

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7981.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Ooooh wasn't aware of that - thanks. Will have to get some wrap then. I take it only the down pipe bits need doing not the whole thing?? I'll ask about a heat shield too.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

sportlinecab said

Ooooh wasn't aware of that - thanks. Will have to get some wrap then. I take it only the down pipe bits need doing not the whole thing?? I'll ask about a heat shield too.

I'd do the whole lot being honest - the manifold will get pretty hot. OK when your moving but if stuck in traffic etc etc.

The part number above is a Audi number but VW can get them for about £20.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Cool thanks - just hope it isn't fitted yet…….!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.