Skip navigation

My new Sportline project.

Back to the top
OK so I've been a member a while but sadly not ben contributing nearly as much as I should! Anyway I've always been a fan of the Sportline model, so when I sold my left hand drive example in 2011 I have had what can only be described as a mental health issue with cars! I've had a MK5 GTI, a MK4 GTI Anniversary, a T25 Caravelle, a Skoda Octavia and an Audi 80 hardtop/cabriolet since, but they just haven't hit the spot. It was getting to the stage where I had the car for a few months before getting bored and selling it on. Something had to be done and I knew what I really wanted - so after a lengthy search and a chance ebay browse I bought this;

Compulsive buyer of knackered VWs!!!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
SL1.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Apologies for the i phone pics - its all I have at the minute. It is was a bit pink and needed a proper clean. Unfortunately I didn't have any real time over the first week of ownership and the weather was against me too. It was only last weekend I could really get going.

So what did I get for my money? Well obviously its the red version. I know everyone has their preference when it comes to the red v black and the seemingly inconclusive figures on which is rarer. For me I love the Flash Red as its a nice bright colour to maintain and I don't believe it was available on any other Mk1. It was pinkish in places as the car was dry stored for a couple of years, and on the bonnet the paint has been worn through by an over enthusiastic machine polisher!

It has had a black mohair hood fitted which is in great condition as is the black headlining. The all important Recaros are in great order for 160k miles and the red needle dials are all present and correct. It has the correct BBS RAs and looks to be a nice original and complete car.

There are a couple of modifications, notably the crystal rear lights and an Alpine CD player that doesn't work. Also the door pockets have had some kind of elliptical shape cut out for some crossovers - weird!

SL2.jpg SL4.jpg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Plans so far are a good clean and service, get rid of the crystal rear lights and some of the niggles - more on those later. As the car is mainly standard and original, I'm going to go down that route in its rolling resto. It will be a daily driver for now.

First job cosmetically was a good clay bar and the removal of some trim.

sp8.png sp9.png sp11.png

No rust underneath which was a good start, just the usual years of grime.

sp15.png sp16.png
sp20.png

After a claybar, cleaning polish followed by wax the car started to look much better. Trim blacked up now too and I've popped on some plate frames that I had lying about from a previous vehicle.

spl21.png spl22.png

I've taken off the grille to clean the inner spots and have repainted the wiper arms too. More pics to come on that soon. Today the rear crystal lights have been sold and have financed an original set (on a bit of a budget right now!).

spl23.png spl24.png

Anyway a nice project so far, so will update with more soon.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top

My new Sportline project.

Looks nice bud , I have not long sold my Sportline (link below) pop over and register yours when u have time here - http://www.golfgtisportline.com, also I think Hugh who runs the sight might have had some speaker pockets for sale if you wanted to replace the ones that have been cut to show crossovers

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers mate - yeah I keep meaning to register on there as I kept visiting the site to see my old one (K408SAF). This car will be a keeper for me. Your thread is a bit of an inspiration for mine too - just love the RMs and the fact that the subtle mods enhanced it without changing the overall original look.  

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Thanks for sharing with us!  :thumbs:

I love a red Sportline - and sure miss mine  :(

Looking forward to your updates

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks mate, if I didn't go RM's I was going to get original RA's refurbished with polished lips as that looks really good as well  :thumbs:

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Nice sportline - well done on the new addition - did you own the red left hand drive red sportline on the register?

Whatever happened to it? Who picked it up?

Looks like this one is in good hands too.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Yeah the left hand drive one used to be mine and I had cosmetically restored most of it to its present condition. It was a French one originally with clipper carb mechanicals and power steering. As far as I know its still going strong in the hands of a regular on here (Denia I think?) and lives it up in Valencia! Must get mine up on the register - its got a very similar plate to the one that was in Gibraltar (K310VPC v K301VPC!) and was sold in the same dealership in Surrey. I take it I can e-mail the details/photos on the register contact?

Any thought I'd fixed the leak on the driver's roof handle with a new gasket but hasn't worked unfortunately. Thinking maybe the hooks need tightening as there is some thread leeway there, either that or some seals of some kind. 

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Oh yea I now see the link with Denia red motor.

Interesting to see how close the registration date details are too each other.

Just email me your pics and a bit about the car and yourself and I'll host it for you on the register.  :thumbs:

For the hood leak - check the seal on top of the door. Sometimes it can crack here and not make a perfect joint and hence the water gets in. Other than that it could well be the front roof seal where the hood meets the frame.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Took some pics yesterday in the rare sunshine - inspired by 'pic of the month'! Think a nicer venue would be better though. 

Jobs done include lots of cleaning, sticking down carpets, some nice new mats. Doesn't look too bad for a daily school runner I think! Looking to get the crazy quiffs rear seat belts and a full service for the spring. Hope the photos work……

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Very nice!  :cool:  :wub:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So else is left to do? Loads as always! Needs a black tonneau, correct rear 'GolfGTI' badge, fitting of some original uncut door pockets I've acquired, rocker cover gasket, original style gamma or beta stereo, rear spat decals and touch ups here and there.

Still got intermittent MFA display - works in extreme cold only???!!! Still got hood leak fixed crudely over winter with vaseline :o and still got wash/wipe connection issues. I'm assuming I should have 'intermittent wipe' but stalk won't go down for some reason. Slight hesitancy low revs when cold too, but has been a bit better on momentum and some fuel cleaner.

All in all very happy and can't wait for spring/summer. Lost no love for the MK1 and hope to go to some shows this year.

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Replacement door pockets fitted so last obvious 'Max Power' mod reversed! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Lovely motor mate thanks for sharing still miss my J reg  :'( ..

91Jreg Sportline (now gone) For now 88 Ereg Mk2 16v (monza blue ) (now its gone too)Numerous mk1 tintops I  should never have sold 😰  Oh and a TDI  Touran as a daily ….latest toy mk5 Gti (showing my age) had to go serious money pit ,now cruising a Caddy Van

Back to the top
Thanks mate - know what you mean. Just glad I managed to get this before they all go silly money.....!

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD

Back to the top
Really nice looking motor this…  :thumbs:

I've a couple of the bits (black tonneau cover - MINT one) your after in my tresure chest! Drop me an email and I'll see if I can help you out. I'm sure I have the rear badge but would have to check.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Looks really good mate, keep us updated. I'll be getting my thread started soon (another red sportline) :D

Back to the top
Tidied up the filler area which been bodged with b & q screws I think! Popped some new stainless ones on and a new trim. Bit tidier now.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Previous rides;

'81 Mk1 1100 C
'83 Mk1 1.8 GTI
'93 Corrado 16v 9A
'81 Mk1 GLI cab
'91 Mk2 16v KR
'89 T3 Whitestar
'87 T3 Caravelle GL
'95 Polo G40 LHD
'93 Mk1 Sportline LHD
There are too many online users to list.