Skip navigation

My 83 abf air ride project

Back to the top

Diverwez said

Looks really good pal, how does the car drive now you have it setup, I'm on budget coilovers at the moment and its shocking to drive, is it a comfy ride?

Not as good as I thought it would be. It has the firmness of coilovers but without the bangs if that makes sense.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits 

Back to the top
I've been secretly watching this thread and you seem to have done a cracking job  :thumbs:
I have been researching air suspension a lot over the past 12 months and I was just wondering a bit about your set up. 
I know these dampers are adjustable so I'm guessing you have them on the softest setting?
Also what sort of pressures have you tried because I'm sure that air shouldn't be as harsh as coilovers. 
How did you go about setting it all up or is that still an on going process? 
Sorry about all the questions but I'm a massive air fan and haven't got much info on the D2 kit yet.
Cheers,  :thumbs:
Britney

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top
All a bit guess work really. Seems a good kit but there weren't really any instructions other than a drawing for the plumbing. At the moment I have about 40 psi in them but like I say it's all guess work O_o

Back to the top
That sounds like a good pressure to be running at. 
I've been told that it takes a while to get the set up right but once it's done you shouldn't have to touch it again.
One bit of information I read said to try starting with the bags at 10 psi (as long as there is enough ground clearance) and work up, in increments of 10psi, to 100psi and find what's best for the car and driver. 
 :thumbs:

Back to the top

GolyTheGolf said

That sounds like a good pressure to be running at. 
I've been told that it takes a while to get the set up right but once it's done you shouldn't have to touch it again.
One bit of information I read said to try starting with the bags at 10 psi (as long as there is enough ground clearance) and work up, in increments of 10psi, to 100psi and find what's best for the car and driver. 
 :thumbs:

That sounds like a good idea!!!

Back to the top
I'm new to this as well , by adjusting the ride pressure , will that alter the ride height as well ?

Back to the top

g60pjl said

I'm new to this as well , by adjusting the ride pressure , will that alter the ride height as well ?

Ye the more air you put in the higher it goes.

Back to the top
From low to high, love it.

Back to the top
Congratulations mate, great to see someone doing their own air installs, I know a few on here have, and I like to have a crack at stuff, but not sure I could  :) . Looks ace, love it slammed  :thumbs:

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

Congratulations mate, great to see someone doing their own air installs, I know a few on here have, and I like to have a crack at stuff, but not sure I could  :) . Looks ace, love it slammed  :thumbs:

Cheers pal. It's not that it's a hard job you just have to take your time and plan it all out first.

Back to the top
Cool Mk1 and a great looking kit!
Mantap :thumbs:

Back to the top
Well done mate looks good 👏👏👏👏

Back to the top
Gutted!!!!! :( 

Back to the top
Oh no!!!  :'(
How did that happen? Did it rub the body or tyre and is it the one side or both? 
Gutted for you mate. 

Back to the top

GolyTheGolf said

Oh no!!!  :'(
How did that happen? Did it rub the body or tyre and is it the one side or both? 
Gutted for you mate. 

Rubbed on the inside of the suspension turret. Just ordered another set of smaller bags so not the end of the world but had to throw another £200 at it.

Back to the top
Thing is you order the bags for the mk1 so they should of known which size bag to sell you!

Gutted for you…

Back to the top

mk1 daz said

Thing is you order the bags for the mk1 so they should of known which size bag to sell you!

Gutted for you…

I know, had that same argument just to be told bags not covered under warranty and I should have made the necessary mods to the car….

Last edit: by sallyandsean

Back to the top
 :( damm

Proper shame that mate and typical swerve tactic by manufacturers

Good luck with the re fit though ,and hope the smaller bags do the trick  :thumbs:

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Gutted for you pal hope you get it sorted soon

Back to the top

sallyandsean said

mk1 daz said

Gutted for you…

I know, had that same argument just to be told bags not covered under warranty and I should have made the necessary mods to the car….

Bang out of order!!

I'd agree if the wheels had caused the damage as that's an ofset problem but rubbing on arch!

Do they supply a hammer to modify the inner archaic then?!?
There are too many online users to list.