Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
I do like them in white but if I'm doing it I can change the colour which always rocks the boat on what to do.

The spoiler is going but does go with the zender wheels.

Back to the top

Back to the top

The money pit mk1

Crazy looking mk1.. Any Enginebay Pics availeble?

Posted at work…

Back to the top
I really like that except the way the wheels centres stick right out.
I'd like to know the specs of the wheels though.

Back to the top
Yeah I just don't get wheels like that, they look awful.

Not sure on anything else on car just saw them photos and thought I might do mine the same.

Back to the top
I've not updated this for a while as not much has happened.

I've picked the car up from storage and it's in my new garage sat on carpet to keep it warm.

The paintwork has got worse and it's been stored in a dry garage, it looks like it's got acne!! Bad prep work is to blame, call into a paint shop to show them.

So looks like there wasn't anything good about this car!!!

I'm spent far too much getting it to this point to even think of selling the thing to get rid of the hassle, so it might get a cover thrown over and try forget about it for a year.

Back to the top
Ok so I've a few things going through my mind now with the direction I want to go with this car. ive still the ride height to setup on the bc coilovers as it seems to have settled ass down.
I'm more bothered about which will hold the best value too.

Also I'm going to ditch the rear calipers as they are prone to stick. 

Which calipers should I use on the rears??

The zender top spoiler is coming off so that will be for sale at some point.

Back to the top
Lovely looking MK1! Only just scrolled up to see the pics!

:wub:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Lol that martini one isn't mine 

Back to the top
IMG_3505.JPG

I have these rear callipers on my golf which are ment to be mk2 gti but all I know is that stick and give different pressure to each side.

I was going to rebuild them but I've read they are just a poor calliper.

Any suggestions to which callipers I should look for? 

Back to the top
The alloy s from a mk4 are meant to be one f the best out there for the rear of a mk1.

Just read your thread. Sounds like you've had some bad luck with it, that's the problem when you buy someone else's work. I know I cut corners occasionally if I need the car or can't afford the 'right' bit.

Clives currently got cable ties making him tick over as there's a problem with the carb. I know it's there and that I've got to fix it and and some point it'll fail. If I sold it I would probably forget that I'd done it though. If you know what I mean!

You'll get there, I'm sure. It does get frustrating and annoying though don't it? My tin top just needed a freshen up before MOT. Just had to replace the entire rear panel  O_o

Let me know if you sell the rear spoiler  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yeah it's just getting the knowledge to know I can swap from what I have got to a better version without having to do the whole conversion again.

The frustrating part is I came to the owners club expecting to get a golf that's been built be a enthusiast. Combine that with paying what I did for it (because I assumed it was all done correct and just needed an interior).

This has been my first mk1 golf and it's been a bad experience in fact I bought a mk1 caddy for a 1/5 of the price run it for two years and sold it for double i paid and had not one fault.

Rant over lol

End result is I'll get it back to where it needs to be just of spent too much getting it there.

So if anyone knows which callipers will interchange without much hassle I would be greatful..

Back to the top
Happy new year readers!!!!!

Well got home from work an hour early so got some motivation and jacked the golf up.

Yes I know it's New Year's Eve but thought I'd have a few hours and take the steering rack off to find this poor handling issue.

The ball joints popped off just like ed China shows you on wheeler dealer, got the rack to column but out with a bit of swearing. On to the four 13mm nuts, well three are easy to get to but the bottom right (looking from front of car) was hidden by the engine mount so I had to take that off!

Got the rack on the bench and when I turn the shaft I have a mm play then it's like it's teeth mesh and I get a little clunk?!? Now I have the new rack with is nice and smooth so hopefully that will cure it.

Just need to order the rest of the rack from mark then it get the tracking setup as the new bc coilovers haven't had the settings done yet either.

Then I had a look a the 280mm brake conversion on the front.

Does anyone know what callipers these are?????

Back to the top
IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3558.JPG

Back to the top
Over 6000 views now lol

Back to the top
Brake upgrade time.

I'm taking the current 280mm setup off and swapping it for the mk3 gti calipers with 280mm discs which will allow a great surface area.

Combine that with uprated discs and pads maybe ebc or like.

The tears are getting changed from the mk2 16v which can stick and do on mine to the mk3 golf as the fittings are the same and again uprated discs and pads to suit.

I was planning on buying a lsd but with yet more money getting put into just making it safe and useable extras are going to have to wait.

Back to the top
The current setup is mk3 carriers mk2 calipers with adaptors to take out the caliper to accommodate the 280mm disc.

The rear is mk2 16v disc conversion.

Back to the top
I thought bits of the system looked vaguely familiar although the adapter brackets had me perplexed.

Have you considered the mk4 rear calipers? I believe they are the same fittings as the mk2? I've been looking at a rear disc conversion and from my reading I understand that mk4's work.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
If I went for the mk4 rears I would need to change the braided hoses to make them fit.

As the rears only do about 20% of the braking I think the mk3 calipers with uprated discs and pads will be good enough.

Back to the top
As you say the rears do so little, I wouldn't spend money on uprated stuff, standard/cheaper parts would be fine.
There are too many online users to list.