Skip navigation

Scuttle replacement

Back to the top
Bit of an update.. Not sure if anybodys still reading them!

Cut out my old rusty scuttle panel with the dremel, took a bit longer than expected as the scuttle had been plated before so had to cut through two layers i instead of just the one!

Next i tackled the second layer as the gutter had rusted right through cut the old section out.

Bottom layer will clean up fine so i left it in.

Next i used the off cut to mark out my replacment panel, pretty happy with the fit just hope my welding will be up to scratch too.

Today im going to trim the main scuttle panel to fit and start tidying up/sanding back the panels to a decent condition.

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
It looks like it is coming on nicely. Still cutting through the old metal on mine.

Back to the top
It goes take awhile, someone had repaired the scuttle before giving me two layers to cut through, dremel hated me haha

I have the scuttle near enough there

Just trial fitting the windscreen, gap seems pretty even although i have around 10mm each side without rubber seal and around 12mm ish top and bottom.
Everything seems to line up ok both ends and along the inside.
Any ideas if that sounds ok? 

Cheers :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
Very interesting Tom_02.  :ocf_emoticons__detective:

Time for an update! We await the final result to see if the patient fully recovered  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Heres the update especially for you convictGTI!

Following on from previous post where i had just trial fitted the windscreen.. Before diving in i welded two small holes up as testers (first bit of welding on my mk1) i unfortunatley seem to have only taken pictures of one. 

Not the neatest of welding but once ground back didnt look too bad and i was happy enough that there were no holes :)

I obviously started with the second layer, bit of pain getting all the lines lined up where the door usually sits (theres so many curves!) fairly happy with how it turned out, it did need a small amount of filler to smooth it out.

Top pic is first run, i had to grind back and re-weld the bits id missed/blown through! Bottom pic is almost ground back ready for filler (not the best pic(looks shocking!))

Heres a pic from the top before i filled in the spot welds (which was a right pain!) 

And after..

Onto the main scuttle..

Im not sure how others would have done it but as you can see from previous posts i cut right along the back of the scuttle taking out both sides of the seal. Which obviously left me with a hell of a lot of awkward welding and grinding back to do!! Unfortunatley i dont seem to have any pictures of this after the work was done, it took many hours lol

Heres the pics i do have which arent many.. 

Its shame i didnt take more of the actual welding itself, again i needed a small amount of filler just to smooth out the apillars. The hardest part i found was working out how to go about welding the gutter.. I was far too worried that opening the gutter right out would lead to it breaking off completely or being unable to return it to its original shape. I would be interested to know the proper way to do this! 
All in all im happy with how it turned out as im a beginner, it saved me a lot of money, its barely noticable and it doesnt leak anymore which is a bonus! 

Heres how its looking now, mot'd taxed and insured :) 

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
I received your posting initially as an email and replied to you.  :thumbs:  

I've been searching for your posting and couldn't remember where I initially came across you. :ocf_emoticons__dontknow:

But then I remembered  :ocf_emoticons__icon_cool:

As mentioned in my email you're undertaking repairs most of us will have to do one day, so the information and approach undertaken is valuable knowledge to us all. Keep at it  :rockon:

Back to the top
Well done, some good work there, and well worth doing !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.