Skip navigation

5door GLS

Back to the top

stuartcw said

16vseries1 said

maybe jjust pit the fuel cap on the back panel ? then relocate the fuel pipe. saves messing the rear quarter up

Where abouts do you mean? Do you have any pics? As that sounds interesting!

on the back panel. either behind the number plate. or oopposite the plate? or if your really clever behind one of your rear light. then put some kind of hinge on the light :cool:

Back to the top
You could easily put a fuel filler behind the number plate and have the plate on a hinged bracket- keep the smooth quarter and don't have to open the boot to fill up. You'd probably be able to route a pipe to the standard tank from there with some clever pipe work. 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi all, sad to say this, but I think I am now aware that I have bitten off more than I can chew. So I think I am going to be selling up. I think my best option is to sell the dubpower manifold, r1 carbs, and mk3 recaro seats separately then sell the rest of the car with the coilovers wheels and ABF engine etc. let me know if anyone is interested in some bits. I will be putting the bits officially up for sale in the sale section. Thank you all for your help and support, I'm sorry I wasn't around for long

Back to the top
interested in the dub power manifold if you are splitting

Back to the top

Nicko Martin said

interested in the dub power manifold if you are splitting

yeah will be selling that separately. It's brand new with the flex pipe section. I will put it in the for sale section tonight thinking £230 but open to offers. Will let you know when it is on there. 

Back to the top

stuartcw said

Hi all, sad to say this, but I think I am now aware that I have bitten off more than I can chew. So I think I am going to be selling up. I think my best option is to sell the dubpower manifold, r1 carbs, and mk3 recaro seats separately then sell the rest of the car with the coilovers wheels and ABF engine etc. let me know if anyone is interested in some bits. I will be putting the bits officially up for sale in the sale section. Thank you all for your help and support, I'm sorry I wasn't around for long

I think you've let a lot of interesting modifications scare you away from making it a working road car. When i bought my golf it was listed as "minor arch rust" and that was all. Since then nearly every panel on the car has had work done, undergone a full respray, engine rebuild, custom interior and air ride. A year and a half later im still making custom little bits to make modifications work. Anything is possible if you put plenty heart and thought into it.

For example; the input regarding your fuel situation is perfect. I had a quick gander at the rear light filler point that someone else has done, and i think its just epic, and very easily done with a bit of pipe work and some metal cutting. That could be a few hours work eliminating what you defined as a big problem preventing the car from being road worthy.

Im not going to tell you its easy, nor will i tell you that its cheap OR even fast getting the work done, but despite those things it's well worth it. Be a shame to see you sell the car since its a very very good base to start with.

Hope thats helped somewhat.
Dan  :cool:

Back to the top
Thanks mk1_dan. It is amazing what a bit of encouragement can do. I didn't really want to give it up, I think you were right, I was/am a bit scared of it at the minute.

I guess my first thing to solve is the fueling. What welders do people use/recommend. Haven't got loads to spend, so good but cheap! Lol.

Back to the top
Why are you in a rush? Do you have a deadline to get it back on the road?

Take your time and do the easy jobs first, slowly building up to the the more daunting tasks that will be much easier as you build up your skills and knowledge.

You've got a great base to start with that most people would be envious of. Work out what needs to be done and what parts you don't want so you know what to buy and sell.

And make sure you ask lots of questions. There's lots of people here more than happy to help you out.

Cheers

Paul

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top
Great cars take a long time to be built, this isn't overhauling you know with 50 guys working 24 hours a day.

First I'd make a list of the big to do jobs, then start a post about each one in turn.

The fuel tank issue can be solved with a filler from a different location as suggested.

If something has been cut away from the bulkhead I'm sure it could be welded back in.

Get to know the local mk1 golf owners and stock up with beers, then maybe suggest the nip round to yours to have a look.  :thumbs:Your a long way from me tho….

Back to the top
I'm not in any rush. But my daily driver does seem to be on its last legs, so ideally this would replace it when it finally dies. So not trying to rush, but I do have it in the back of my mind that the mk1 may soon become my only car. lol 

Back to the top
Ok well get cracking then.

What's the first issue?

Back to the top

mk1 daz said

Ok well get cracking then.

What's the first issue?

Fueling….defo the fueling……..I have no fuel tank, filler neck or cap. The previous owner had the filler cap smoothed over as he was going to run a fuel cell in the back. I would like to run a feel tank, but I don't want to wreck the paint re-instating the fuel cap. So I'm looking into hiding the fuel cap behind a pop out rear light, but I don't know if that is a bit ambitious for my skill set. But before I can see how fitted the engine is, I need fuel to run it. So this must be my first task I think. Any ideas?

Back to the top
How about locating it behind the rear number plate.

Have the plate on hinges, simply drop plate and fill.

Goggle it and it shows you a few pictures.

Back to the top
Is that legal? I did Google ideas relating to it and it may have been an American thing or even a motorbike thing. But I had read some people had been in trouble with the police as the police were concerned the number plate could be dropped when going through speed cameras   

Back to the top
If it was controllable from the drivers seat then it would be an issue but the t25 had it there from vw.

Back to the top
Ah cool, I had heard that somewhere before. But I have never seen one in the flesh. Need to go to a show or two and check one out. Unless anyone has one on here they can take a few piccies for me??

Back to the top
Put "fuel filler behind number plate" into Google.

I'd try get the bracket you can see to mount onto the golf.

http://autoshite.com/topic/11541-1967-simca-1301-garlicky-goodness/

Scroll down and the photo of the back of the red car has one behind the number plate too.

Back to the top
Hi all, I have decided to make a go of it, slow and steady wins the race etc. I was hoping to get some help from you guys. I have literally no fuel system components, and I have no idea what parts I need.

I have googled it and I have seen some illustrations of the whole system, and quite frankly, it shocked me. I had no idea there were so many elements. Is there anywhere to get all that I will need in 1 place, as I looked on vw herritage and I put all fuel system parts in a basket and there were non of the fuel pipe work. Sorry if I am being thick.
Thanks,stu

Back to the top
A lot depends on what engine you want to run and if you are going for fuel injection or carb set up.
theses places sell a lot of fueling stuff.

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk

http://www.classic-vw.co.uk

or Vw do still stock some of it.

website of part numbers and pictures.
partsbase.org

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.