Skip navigation

Alps - 1992 Green Rivage

Back to the top
Hi All

just bought this thing a few weeks back

its my 3rd Golf and 2nd Rivage I have owned.

bodywork isnt too bad as its been sprayed before, got a few ping dents and bonnet has some microblistering, interior is tatty and looks like its been replaced with a tatty uncared for leather or it is just tatty and uncared for :(.

a list to tackle

- brakes - serious juddering - FIXED - new discs and pads and new Caliper bolt
- oil leak - camshaft oil seal needed - FIXED  - Cam\Intermediate shaft\Rocker\sump seals replaced
- timing - engine is very pinky - Fixed - new fuel pump, injectors, cambelt
- lights switch light bulb - no power to the wire
- flash light on the cluster - blue light comes on intermittently, maybe stalk
- MFA backlight- FIXED - new bulb
- interior mirror - FIXED Replaced with original one
- Rivage wheels - originals need refurb - RESOLVED - purchased a set of mirror polished ones with new tyres
- locks - have two keys - FIXED - all locks replaced now have 1 key all round!
- rear lock seal - FIXED - replaced lock seal
- Seatbelts - a little frayed as the spring from bottom is missing - sourced a fresh set to replace
- gearknob - knackered needs new one - sourced a new one awaiting fitting
- handbrake-  leather cover missing - REPLACED with black Leather one until a beige one comes up
- leather steering wheel - REPLACED - with momo leather one for now
- spline adaptor is mullerred - FIXED - replaced Steering shaft\bolt\spline adaptor
- filler neck - FIXED - replaced with cabrio one, fixed air\overflow pipe and reshaped sender and replaced with correct o ring seal
-  locking cap is the wrong sort - no flap -  and has no key! - FIXED - correct replacement purchased
- electric aerial - has a fixed one - sourced - ready to fit
- Rivage carpet needed (beige) - FIXED - renewed underlay and added missing carpet clips
- Old Wiring soldered to switch looms - FIXED-Removed old alarm and cut out bad soldering, cleaned, joined and heatwrapped, loosely felt taped looms.
- seal strips between kit missing
- side qtr window seals not replaced correctly
- Bonnet has micro blistering- needs stripping and repainting - Temp FIXED - wet sand with 2000 grit has hidden most of it
- reverse light does not work - FIXED - switch on gearbox replaced
- oil light was buzzing - FIXED - cleaned connector on low pressure switch - have a spare switch in case
- rear seats rattling - FIXED - adjusted them using the rubber bungs
- Front seats rattling\rocking - FIXED - new slider clips replaced
- Driveshaft touches chassis slightly on heavy bumps - FIXED - engine mounts replaced which has solved the banging
- hood pump pipe leaking - replace or try plumbers tape - taped awaiting testing
- Passenger door strap -  needs re-welding  on A pillar side
- Leather on front seats dry and bad repair on passenger seat - sourced new front seats
- Heater Fan whistles - blew fuse last time it was on full - fan needs replacing - sourced new one awaiting fitting
- carpet coming away at edges - FIXED - replaced underlay and added some more side clips
- Fuel pump buzzing - FIXED  - replaced BOTH pumps
-
Hesitation - fuelling issue - FIXED - new pumps, injectors, plugs
- drivers side guttering coming loose - to restick
- radiator resiovoir pipe leaking- FIXED - replaced resevoir and pipe
- cam cover still leaking after new seal - FIXED - replaced Gasket (again) and re-torqued
- handbrake cable passenger side needs replacing - FIXED - Replaced cable
- Rear brakes need adjusting - hardly any bite - FIXED - Renewed brake fluid - was brown
- few ping dents need removing - dentmaster job
- replace rear hood cable
- source centre caps for the above wheels - FIXED got some oem VW ones that fitted perfectly - wheels now sold

Progress updated

:)thanks!

i can see this list growing! will keep adding to it as I find things and FIX things :) 

Last edit: by Alps

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
Good morning and welcome to the Club first of all.
Looks like you've got a cracking looking Rivage there in my favorite color but who's the driver?

Stig Jnr?  :lol:  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
lol, thanks

he couldn't wait to get in it!

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
lovely looking car, looks great on those wheels  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Nice find that!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
so my first job this weekend was to sort the brakes out

Drove the car back 300 miles with the judder, almost undrivable!

Ordered some PAgid disks and pads from ECP

before

After

i did get a little stuck when i started the other side and was faced with this

together with a rounded odd top bolt on the pad carrier, hammered a slightly bigger torx and got it off though without too much trouble. Just shows the quality of the work by some of the past owners or garages they used. New caliper slider bolt repair kit on its way .

judder now gone :)

Back to the top
I saw this on eBay was gonna bid on it but I've already got a GTI cab only bought it in Nov but was tempted for a Rivage lol
hope you got it at a fair price ! Good luck with restoring it to former glory !

Back to the top
thanks, negotiated it below what it was on Ebay for, still could have done with dropping it a bit more with the work that is required on it, but id already travelled 300 miles to see it and for that little extra it had to be bought.

Rivages always worth that little bit more and it was the rare green that drew me too it.

3rd Cab I have owned and 2nd Rivage, just finding the time to fix bits :) definitely not going to be in show condition anytime soon :)

Back to the top
a little update on what i have been working on this weekend.

Headlight switch bulb - well at least thats what i thought it was - there is no power to it. need to look into this one more.

Tell tail light  - tried changing bulb - but there was nothing wrong with the bulb, theres power on the plug when you flash so it must be something on the cluster.

Locks - started changing the locks as there are two keys  currently - ignition barrel  i had to take off the spline convertor, it had been taken off before and the spline was knackered, so i have had to order a new one..
In the meantime i changed the passenger side door lock - again not easy as the screw head had rusted on - so drilled the head off and then used some mole grips to remove the stud, new handle fitted, glove box lock swap was nice and easy. Once i get the spline and can move the car again i can do the drivers door and boot lock.

When i removed the dash facia I could see the alarm installed which was now dead  was installed by a butcher - so i snipped , soldered and heatshrinked all the connections and removed the old alarm wiring to make it look nice and neat again.

Back to the top
a few more weeks past.

- Steering shaft and bolt replaced, lower steering bearing replaced.
- momo steering wheel put on until i source and original
- side indicator replaced and all the superglue and no more nails cleaned off  :o .
- Low pressure oil sensor cleaned up, oil buzzer hasn't sounded since - new one on order.
- rear seat adjusted to stop it rattling.
- sunvisor fixed and re-installed
- all locks changed including glove box - 1 key now yipee

thats all for now!

Back to the top
Sounds like good progress ;)

…and superglue/no more nails?? :o  Someone had a good go at your car then! lol

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
MOT Time!

thankfully passed !

Verbal advisories on the following

- oil leak in engine bay - camshaft oil seal
- reverse light not working - faulty switch
- high beam telltail light on dash not working - fusebox wiring has been played with
- driveshaft has rub marks where occasionally touching chassis - car too low
- handbrake - needs adjusting on drivers side

other than that he said get it waxoiled and it was in pretty good nick.

PHEW!

Back to the top
Sorted  :cool:

He sounds a friendly MOT man too  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
thanks Andy

All my Family and friends have used him for years, hes not out there to fleece people like a lot of MOT places out there (not all obviously )

Back to the top
Looks great !  Keen to see the wheels when they are done.

Work on my Clipper

Back to the top

jez said

Looks great !  Keen to see the wheels when they are done.

Cheers Jez

I actually picked up another set of Rivage wheels which were already polished up and had new tyres.

Will wait till paintwork is sorted before putting them on

Back to the top
so a little update from the weekend, trying to find time to fix little bits

1. reverse light not working - tested the light circuit by joining the pins on the plug and the lights came on, thus pointing to a dodgy switch, was ordering something else from crazyquiffs so ordered a new switch, had to take the expansion tank off to get decent access, that just slipped off and slipped it back on after. pic on new switch in situ

pic of old switch - seems like the original from factory

2. boot lock seal had fallen to pieces - removed lock cover by pulling off, removed two lock screws and pulled off lock, then slipped off old lock seal and replaced with a new one bought from Mark at classic VW. put everything back reverse of taking off. pic of the new boot seal and old tatty one.

3. VW front badge faded - new one from Mark Classic Vw fitted. Pic of old and new

4. New air filter - could not see anything about the air filter being replaced in any of the paperwork, new MANN filter (C2860) from ECP . Pics show it all, needed replacing!

thats it for now, cam shaft seal, rocker cover gasket, timing belt and tensioner, sump gasket, oil pump, , plugs, dizzycapzrotor, ignition leads, fuel filter….. all waiting to go on for the next episode!

Back to the top
The next episode should be a bit more oily! lol

It's amazing how much the boot lock seals deteriorate!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
sure do Andy, this one was falling to pieces!

Started the next episode this weekend - got stuck undo-ing the waterpump bolts - one had threaded sold - star bit trick didn't work either, hopefully can change the belts without taking the waterpump pulley off otherwise I`ll drill the head off!

I`ll probably loosen the crank bolt off next then align everything before disassembly… all good fun!

Back to the top
Yeah should be a quick job if it wasn't for old, seized stuff!

It's a few months since I've done a cam belt on one, but from memory the only waterpump bolt that needs to come undone is the one that's a T-shape and holds on to the lower cover.

I could be wrong though!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.