Skip navigation

fueling a conversion

Back to the top
morning,

my mk1 has a g60 engine in it, it was originally a 1.1c so I presume not a lot in the way of a fuel pump, its got an aftermarket electric pump that's not been wired up very well but that's not the issue. the problem is when you go round a right hand corner with pretty much anything but a full tank the fuel all sloshes to the left hand side and you can hear the pump slurping for fuel but not getting any, hence starving the engine, so you have to come off the accelerator

has been suggested that baffles in the tank would help which I can see why, would a gti tank have these in as standard and the 1.1 wouldn't? otherwise im guessing its a case of cutting the tank open, putting some in and welding it back up which seems like a huge ballache

any easy ways around this other than keep putting fuel in….

cheers!

Back to the top
Early Gti do have a swirl pot fitted inside the tank, later cars have another fuel pump fitted inside the fuel tank to lift the fuel out then an swirl pot fitted to the outside.

What height is your fuel pick up in the tank? If it's sitting to high then you will get starvation on cornering, Have you got a swirl pot fitted any where?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
honestly I don't know… this one is bought not built, although there's a few things that need changing

i'll grab some photos….

Back to the top
I know nothing about mk1's btw, lol. so these are the main bits by the looks of it?

the 2 wires wrapped up in electrical tape run off to the 2nd pic, then from there up to the bay by the looks of it and theres a fuel filter in the scuttle  :lol:wrong pics the first time!

Back to the top
From your picture there is no lift pump, there is 3 wires for a lift pump, one pipe is the fuel out and the other pipe which someone has squashed is the fuel return.
Looks like a bit of a boge job but I'm not up on g60 conversion so don't know what other people have used for fueling.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Looks like a bit of a boge job

I was thinking this, so do I look for a gti tank?

Back to the top
What size spare wheel do you have? Space saver or a full size spare wheel as there is 2 sizes of fuel tank.

Back to the top
that may be an aftermarket gti tank (without baffle) as i think thats the return hose on a 1.1 fuel pickup.  So there may be an exit on the tank under the car which is feeding the fuel pump.

Im using an external swirl pot under the bonnet for mine but have a facet redtop under tge car feeding it.  Then an injection pump ( bosch 044) feeding the fuel rail from the swirl pot.  Not on the road yet mind you but runs, but should give plenty of fuel. 

Some one else may be able to add to this also, when i was doing my research, there was mention of utilising a fuel accumulator from another VW under the car.  Should come up on a search ad in sure its been mentioned on here before! 

Back to the top
the spare wheel well is huge so im guessing full size (no wheel sin there, battery instead  :lol: )

I did try a search but im not overly sure whats feeding what

ive got a mk3 vr6 fuel pump here which im sure would give enough fuel, theyre mounted under the tank in the mk3's but im not sure if I could get that to work in a golf? im sure i read something about people putting them in mk1 caddy tanks  

fuel cell is looking more appealing  :lol:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi Frank, when you pop down to pick up the gearbox I can run through it with you as I have the lift pump / main pump set-up on my G60.

You need a carb tank that has 2 outlets at the top like the gti. The big one is for the fuel filler neck to tank and the small one goes to the gravity valve in the wheel arch.

You can either purchase the plastic cabriolet swirl pot from mark at vw classics or source second hand.

Get a late cabriolet lift pump where the outlets go forward towards the wiring connector. You can use a polo lift pump but the outlets face away towards the back of the car and make running the fuel lines tricky.

Mount a gti fuel pump or Bosch 044 in the gti cradle. I bought a stainless version from CQ. Mount the swirl pot where the gti accumulator is positioned, again bought a stainless cradle from CQ.

Connect the fuel system like so:

Fuel filter can be mounted in the scuttle like I've done in my build.

Alternatively source a good gti tank (hard to come by) and gti fuel setup.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
I was going to say look at RichG thread as he's fitted a G60, even better you are going to see him, he's a very helpful chap with a stunning car. I had the pleasure of meeting him in the summer when I picked up an engine (still not got around to fitting it yet).

As you have the larger spare wheel you have the smaller 44l tank which is very hard to find a genuine gti tank, later 50l larger tanks can be bought new but don't fit as they are a different shape to wrap around the smaller space saver wheel well.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I was going to say look at RichG thread as he's fitted a G60, even better you are going to see him, he's a very helpful chap with a stunning car. I had the pleasure of meeting him in the summer when I picked up an engine (still not got around to fitting it yet).

Ah that reminds me to reply to rich! 

Back to the top

mark1gls said

As you have the larger spare wheel you have the smaller 44l tank which is very hard to find a genuine gti tank, later 50l larger tanks can be bought new but don't fit as they are a different shape to wrap around the smaller space saver wheel well.

Thanks for the kind words Mark, you need to crack on with that engine for the summer :)

Back to the top
yup i would do it exactly as rich describes, unless a genuine gti tank falls in your lap. tap the lifter pump power to the main pump power and job is a jobbed job.

theres a wide range of aftermarket swirl pots which are fine, just make sure they have 4 outlets so it can be plumbed in as per factory.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yup i would do it exactly as rich describes, unless a genuine gti tank falls in your lap. tap the lifter pump power to the main pump power and job is a jobbed job.

theres a wide range of aftermarket swirl pots which are fine, just make sure they have 4 outlets so it can be plumbed in as per factory.

Hahaha you know of my wiring 'skills' please suggest options that are actually available to a monkey of my capability  :lol:

I think I can handle this though  ;)

Back to the top
So I've been offered a gti tank in the correct size. Do I take it? 

If I get the gti tank and pump what would  I need to do from there and how does it differ to the feeble tank I have at the minute? 

Thank you!  

Clueless mk1 owner  :thumbs:

Back to the top
as long as its a genuine tank and the swirl pot inside is in good nick, have a good look thru the sender hole. theres a rubber seal/flap inside that degrades with age which makes the pot useless.

looks like this:
View topic: Fuel Tank cleaning *HowTo* clear that blockage - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

some pics of swirl pot assy after removal, showing the rubber bung that fails in here too:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Ffuel-systems-and_3%2Ffuel-tank-condition

Back to the top
Just looked at this again, no idea how I didn't see rich ' s post first time round. That makes things clearer 

Not sure if I mentioned but my fuel guage just doesn't work, maybe it's not the case but I just saw a post about a mk2 with a dead fuel guage and it was said that the blue film needs to be pinned down for it to work, I had the clicks out replacing bulbs the other day and half of the blue film by the rev counter was hanging off. New clocks? 

Back to the top
doesnt need to be pinned down, just in good nick. the pins on the clocks just keep it neat and stop it flapping about. for the fuel gauge it should have a couple small nuts on the back, these provide the electrical contacts so be sure they're there and no-one has put fibre washers underneath (yes it has happened :lol:)

if you jump the purple/black to brown the gauge should go to full so start, if not leave this jumper in place while you fiddle with things. check the brown wire is earthed, it'll also power your lifter pump so you want this to be good otherwise your main pump will die!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.