Skip navigation

83 mars red engineless driver full resto

Back to the top

20vt 14 months in

Turns out my injection fuel pump has seized up! Note to self, dont buy second hand fuel pumps anymore!!!

Had an old cheapo injection pump in the garage, primed again and it started first time!!!!

Awesome! :)

Need to finish sorting the fuel pickup as have had some issues with trying to replace the 6mm carb pickup to an 8mm pickup.

Back to the top
A little progress with the exterior!

Some glass, wheels and trim…

C:\fakepath\20141025_154553.jpg

Finished the last bit of the downpipe myself as i have already asked too much from my TIG 'in mate.  Pretty chuffed with the finish! 

C:\fakepath\20150119_205119.jpg

One more brake to fit then i can bleed the brakes!

If only i had more free time :(

Back to the top
Looks brilliant dude, pretty jealous!  :thumbs:

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top
Cheers dude, so close to being finished, realistically a week or so of solid work but with work and home, i will be lucky to get it finished by this summer :( 

Back to the top
looking very nice  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Looking good, I've known of this car for about 10+ years.  Glad it went to a good home as it's previous one/surroundings  was a lot to be desired, I'm sure you get my drift.  LOL

'83 Lhasa Green GTi

Back to the top
Cheers guys,

Yeah she must have been in his garage unused and untested for most of those years! He seemed to like his golfs though by his collection on the drive lol

I managed to bleed the brakes last weekend, so getting close.  One leak, happened to be on the flexi above the beam so was an absolute pain to nip up :(

G60 front brakes with zimmerman discs

C:\fakepath\20150126_120036.jpg

Back to the top
Looking good Adam!! I'll be running girling 54's as well :thumbs:

Back to the top
I used 3 inch dia pipe but you could use 2.5.  The top is 45 deg and the bottom is 90 deg, then a conical 3 to 2.5 reducer and 2.5 pipe and flexi from there with a thick  lambda boss.

The flange i had made out of 316 as the rest is 316 stainless.  Struggled to find a fully stainless flexi but they are out there.  Most have mild wire So watch for that! 

Shed loads of filing of the flange to get it to exit right, you could just cut and weld in slivers of pipe to get the angle but the more bits you weld in the more likely it is to crack!!! Put a plug in the lambda boss too when you weld it as it will deform with the heat.  I also bolted tge flange to a heavy duty plate when welding to stop it deforming.  Its also 12mm rather than the 10mm ones you can get.

Hope this helps! 

Adam

Back to the top
Bit more progress today, finished crimping my battery cable terminals for the boot battery relocation, just need an ANL fuse holder and to weld an earth stud into the floor.
C:\fakepath\20150220_104550.jpg

Also made up a heatshield to protect the shifter and keep the shifter cables away from the downpipe.
C:\fakepath\20150223_120741.jpg

Not the prettiest thing but functional none the less
C:\fakepath\20150223_140743.jpg

The gold colouring is a conversion coating as its bare ali
C:\fakepath\20150223_143035.jpg

Exhaust and downpipe fitted less clamps!

Getting closer…

Back to the top
Little update..

She now moves under her own steam! Took ages to sort the clutch cable but after a lot of trimming and the auto adjuster transport cover exploding off, its in and working!

Been tidying the engine bay a bit and doing all the quick little jobs that end up taking ages.  Still need to figure out an oil catch can and get a few more jubilee clips.
C:\fakepath20150405_150517.jpg

Exhaust fully fitted and not sounding too loud which is just what i wanted! Was worried as it only has one silencer! Im sure it will sing when i give it some :)

C:\fakepath20150215_151425.jpg

Found my passenger window holder clip badly corroded and split so need try and source another, was going to try and make one but think its sprung steel?!  Then i can get the door cards on and its very nearly ready for an MOT. 

Just setting up tracking, adding brake pressure reducers as ive upped to a 23mm master from the standard 1300 driver mc and rebleeding and the oil catch can!…..

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers Andy! Thats it, good find ;) Thanks! 

Back to the top
Welcomes :thumbs:

Back to the top
Engine bay looks fantastic  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers dude, far from a show bay, lots of clutter but going for function!! Would have been nice to hide some of the buts like fuel pump, swirlpot and ecu but the amount of additional work, especially lengthening the loom, im just too eager to get it running :)

Back to the top
C:\fakepath20150612_133557.jpg

Last edit: by adz25

Back to the top
C:\fakepath20150610_145240.jpg

Little shot of me roughly setting up tracking using angle bolted through one of the wheel boltholes and measuring toe out.

Anyone got any good figures for toe seeing as its far from stock!? 

Back to the top
Cant upload pics for some reason at the minute so its treble posted blanks! 

Back to the top
Little update, after a couple of weeks of hell, a lumpy steering rack which i had to remove and strip down, pushing the car out the garage and the passenger door flew open and stopped the car on a brick pillar :(

C:\fakepath20150603_075310.jpg

Then finding out the drivers cv boot was punctured :( 

Doing all those little jobs which shouldnt take long but do…

I had my first drive, on the way to the test centre today….

It passed its MOT!!! :)

Shes running lumpy on idle so have to try and sort that out, but apart from that she seems to be running fine!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.