Skip navigation

Newbie from Cambridgeshire - series 1 Golf GLS

Back to the top

burts13 said

Yea would be up to taking it to meets etc. Hairyarse

I live in Wisbech so on the fringe of Cambs, Lincs and Norfolk really.

Once its MOT'd and up and running could bring to any of these as long as not too far - you know of any?

It's not the closest but I help run the Lincs regional meets - we meet at either Newark Auto Jumble or The Woodcocks, just off the Lincoln ring road.

Cambs has always been a little short of meets. I'm on the border of many Counties too, in Stamford. I know there's some general 'dub' meets in Peterborough, but nothing official through the club from here.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hey, welcome along :)

Very nice looking motor, its pretty much identical to my old one :)

MK1 Golf by Scott SB Photos, on Flickr

You should get that black trim behind the number plate replicated, a few people are after them for the S1 ;)
Whats the plans for the car? You keeping it standard??

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

burts13 said

Yea would be up to taking it to meets etc. Hairyarse

I live in Wisbech so on the fringe of Cambs, Lincs and Norfolk really.

Once its MOT'd and up and running could bring to any of these as long as not too far - you know of any?

It's not the closest but I help run the Lincs regional meets - we meet at either Newark Auto Jumble or The Woodcocks, just off the Lincoln ring road.

Cambs has always been a little short of meets. I'm on the border of many Counties too, in Stamford. I know there's some general 'dub' meets in Peterborough, but nothing official through the club from here.

Yea - as you say Andy it's a bit of a treck, but to be fair I think any meet is going to be some distance from little ol Wisbech. I'll keep an eye out for the meets and bring it along as it stands before works start.

Back to the top

arf333 said

Hey, welcome along :)

Very nice looking motor, its pretty much identical to my old one :)

MK1 Golf by Scott SB Photos, on Flickr

You should get that black trim behind the number plate replicated, a few people are after them for the S1 ;)
Whats the plans for the car? You keeping it standard??

Scott

Cheers Scott - hope one day my car can be as clean as your old one!! Althought its pretty good I think it will take a lot of work to get it to that standard.

Plan is to restore and keep everything original, just getting workshop sorted out and hope to get stuck in myself but leaving bodywork etc to the pros.

Did you do the work to your old one yourself?

Didn't realise the black back plates were hard to get - I see a sideline - hah!

Back to the top
Hi All

Gutted to report that the car failed the MOT and required some welding as the floor had rotted and there had been a modification that has weakened the area. Gutted about this as I have a mechanic review the car and was told it was solid with no rust or rot and it flew through the first MOT 18months ago.

In addition it failed on wheel bearing - which I am hooping to tackle myself - is there any useful posts on this that any of you are aware of?

Also the carburettor needs setting up properly again I am keen to tackle this myself in the first instance - are there any useful posts that will help with this?

Any way good news is my good ol mum has agreed to let me nick her garage to use as a workshop to work on the car and I hope too start a post tracking the progress - getting really envious of the cars on here and am keen to bring mine up to standard.

Cheers

Jamie  

Back to the top
Hi, for front wheel bearings you will need to take the brake caliper, disc, front hub/bearing carrier off! 2 bolts to the suspension strut, track rod end and lower ball joint.  Then you will need to press out the hub from the carrier, you will need a hydraulic press or fly press as its in tight! Remove the race using a puller or wedge from the hub or if its real tight, cut it with a disc and split it off! Then remove the circlip from the rest of the bearing in the carrier and press out the rest of the bearing in the press.  Press in you new one on the press and pop your circlips back in.  Then press he hub back in. 

If your ever anywhere near ely or cambs airport i could help you out with the press ;)

Back to the top
Just saw this post - first off Jamie - really nice GLS you got there - sorry to hear about the MOT fails. Regarding the carburettor - I believe there is some info on the small block engines part of the forum that should help you set it up correctly. Is it a Pierburg Carb you have? If so the Hayes manual is pretty good with the step by step guide. If you don't have a manual - I could scan the appropriate pages if you need them. Normally there is a a lot of trail and error setting them up.

Golf GLS 1980

Back to the top
whata wrong with the carb mate? make sure its not the rubber mount it sits on that is split.

you can get car kits off ebay for restoration, it will be a case of a few long nights with a cuppa rebuilding then I would take to an old school mechanic to get timing and the carb set up correctly

or the easy optiontake it off and replace with a new webber :S

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum Jamie, lovely GLS you have. Sorry to hear about the MOT, but I can assure you there is loads of valuable info on the forum pages to help - they have been invaluable support to my 76 swallowtail rebuild. If you don't find what you need just drop people a PM.
Jonathan

Back to the top
Nice GLS!

Back to the top
Hi all, thanks for comments re carb, hadn't realised there had been so many more responses!! 

It has gone from bad to worse got everything set up and running fine and it was taken on drive by mechanic and found head gasket has gone and the head has cracked. 

Really disappointed and frustrated as was really looking forward to driving it!!

If anyone has any contacts for anyone breaking a 1.5 engine or spare head or any other advice itwould be greatlyfully received!!! Mechanic has asked his contacts and is waiting to hear back. 

Cheers 

Jamie

Back to the top
There is a full 1.5 series 1 engine on sale just now in Edinburgh.

His forum name is midlife crisis.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Cheers massbad69, have made contact and hope to buy it!! Much appreciated.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.