Skip navigation

Newbie from Cambridgeshire - series 1 Golf GLS

Back to the top
Hi All

I decided to join the Forum as I have series 1 Golf GLS that I purchased a couple of years ago. I ran it for a while and since then its been in the storage. It is now at a local garage for MOT and I am hoping to run for a while.

My intention is to restore it as it is (with the exception of an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser) 100% original including original bronze tinted windscreen, lights and side windows (with number plate stamped on the glass and lights). It's solid with very little surface rust, although a couple of dinks, its also very low mileage - 35k. I am planning on keeping it 100% original, although recently started to re-consider the colour - anyway that's for another post.

I will hopefully be about for a while posting progress and picking peoples brains.

I will have uploaded pictures from when I purchased the car.

Cheers

Jamie

Last edit: by burts13

Back to the top
gls12.jpg

Back to the top
gls2.jpg

Attachment
180 views (40 Kb)

Back to the top
gls5.jpg

Attachment
142 views (39 Kb)

Back to the top
gls6.jpg

Attachment
122 views (30 Kb)

Back to the top
gls9.jpg

Attachment
141 views (43 Kb)

Back to the top
That is very nice, doesn't look like it needs any work at all in these pictures!  Has it changed much since you stored it?
The seats look the nicest I have seen in a non-GTI hardly any wrinkley cloth or sagging from what I can see.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Greetings......great looking motor... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Cracking looking car and the same as mine, similar mileage as well with mine in 31k.

Seats look great as Richard says and keep it original as there's only a few left 👍

Back to the top
Lovely looking Mk1 that Jamie, lucky you!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Welcome Jamie! That's a stunning MK1 and as mentioned the seats are in excellent condition!

It's your car but please don't change the colour! This is one worthy of keeping original  :)

Oh and thanks for coughing up for membership  :thumbs:

Good luck for the MOT, keep us updated ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Very nice, a stock s1 takes some beating!

Welcome to the forums :thumbs:

Banner

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Cracking looking car and the same as mine, similar mileage as well with mine in 31k.

Seats look great as Richard says and keep it original as there's only a few left 👍

Cheers Massbad69 - yours looks beautiful!! Yea I am intending on keeping it as original as possible - and am definitely keeping the original colour now!!

Would love to see you car - do you have any posts on it? Was you involved in the bringing up to the standard its at? I have no experience in this but aspire to reach that level!!

Back to the top

RichardHall said

That is very nice, doesn't look like it needs any work at all in these pictures!  Has it changed much since you stored it?
The seats look the nicest I have seen in a non-GTI hardly any wrinkley cloth or sagging from what I can see.

Cheers Richard - it has changed a little as the car was well presented in these pics and had a few areas patched - only minor but some surface rust has started to appear!! Once it is MOT I am going to give it a good going over.

Yea seats are pretty good - don't think it ever saw many passengers as the drives seat is a little more wrinkly - am keen to have this repaired, do you know of anyone that does this? I am new to this really after having a MK1 Driver as my second car around 10 years ago!

Back to the top

ew said

Very nice, a stock s1 takes some beating!

Welcome to the forums :thumbs:

cheers EW hope to make good use of all of the knowledge available!!

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Welcome Jamie! That's a stunning MK1 and as mentioned the seats are in excellent condition!

It's your car but please don't change the colour! This is one worthy of keeping original  :)

Oh and thanks for coughing up for membership  :thumbs:

Good luck for the MOT, keep us updated ;)

Cheers Hairyarse

No worries RE membership!!

Taken on board I will definitely keep the original colour - everything else will remain as original!!

Will definitely keep you updated on MOT and also hopefully on resto - going to be a long process and steep learning curve I think!!

Back to the top
Nice one Jamie, good call!  :thumbs:

Whereabouts in Cambs are you? Hopefully there's a regional meet not too far away you can take it to ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks everyone for the welcome and comments - hope to be around here for quite a while with updates etc!!

Back to the top
Yea would be up to taking it to meets etc. Hairyarse

I live in Wisbech so on the fringe of Cambs, Lincs and Norfolk really.

Once its MOT'd and up and running could bring to any of these as long as not too far - you know of any?

Back to the top
Jamie I was lucky enough to buy the car all finished but it was already immaculate before its restoration, all that was wrong was the lacquer had dulled after being in a garage for over 20 yrs.

Mine is completely standard and that's how it will stay as I don't want to ruin it. Yours is the same standard condition and already looks great.

View topic: Massbad69's s1 - SOLD - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.