Skip navigation

mk3 2L 8v engine advice

Back to the top

1.8 - 2.0 straight swop?

Looked like the head gasket had gone on my standard 1990 1.8gti cabby.  Changed the head gasket and 6 miles later, really bad mayo in cylinder head and water header tank.  Total mix immediately.  Had the head skimmed but not pressure tested and so I am thinking the head is cracked or pistons gone?

Anyway,

as money is real tight, I was thinking it could be cheaper to buy another engine and swop all the bits over.

Can you do this with a mk3 2L 8v? does the rocker cover from the 1.8 go straight on to the 2L etc?

Can get a 2L 8v for less than new head gasket, bolts, skim, pressure test etc

Money is key

Back to the top
every thing will swap over from the 1.8 to the 2ltr
the only thing you will have problems with is the dizzy as you will need a dizzy adaptor from tsr

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a link to the dizzy adapter, can't see anything on there website.
So just to clarify as I am going into this blind, having never removed or fitted an engine, in theory I should be able to remove the engine, bolt all ancillaries on to the 2L and fit that.  The only extra item, other than some gaskets/seals, that I will need is a tsr dizzy adapter?

Back to the top
Before you start stripping everything off and changing engines are you 100% sure it's a fault with the head gasket or head?
The oil cooler can course the same sort of problems as a head gasket failer as it's water feed and if it rusts through the oil and water mix and you get mayo in the engine.
When your engine first when wrong did it over heat as that can course problem with warping the head/block.
When you replaced the head gasket was the head bolts torqued up to the right torque and in the right order as per Haynes manual?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I am not 100% sure about why it has happened.
The head gasket went 2 years ago and so I changed it, the first time I had changed a head gasket.  On that occasion I just found mayo in the oil filler and used the car for a few weeks after.  All has been well since then.

A few weeks ago the engine started spluttering on the way home, not constant but things didn't feel right.  Made it home and checked oil, mayo in the cylinder head and the header tank.  It was a real mess.  My mate who is a diy mechanic said it was the worst example he had seen.  It didn't overheat, the only sympton was as above.

I changed the head gasket, got head skimmed and re-fitted.  Put a post on here about bolt torque but had no replies.  Did the bolts in the correct order to Haynes manual 65Nm and 1/4 turn stage 2.  Did 6 miles and mayo everywhere, total detination!

The oil cooler isn't that old, maybe 5 years.  

Any advise welcome……………………….

The reason for engine change was purely financial.  If I have to take head off and get cylinder head pressure tested, I would also have to take the bottom end out.
Was thinking I could swop out the engine.  With 2L 8v most common and cheapest, hence post.

Back to the top
Just to note not sure about why you have mayo but if you do the engine transplant, then you may need to adapt the manifold as if you use the mk3 engine I am pretty sure it is a tall block so it will need to be lengthened.
Good luck.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Just to note not sure about why you have mayo but if you do the engine transplant, then you may need to adapt the manifold as if you use the mk3 engine I am pretty sure it is a tall block so it will need to be lengthened.

Correct about the tall block motor, the Mk3 should come with the 2E motor with electronic fuel injection. I'm not too clued up with the UK spec cabbys, what injection are you running? If K-jet with the injectors in the head, you won't be able to use it on the new motor where the injectors will be located in the intake manifold. Might be possible but I've never seen it done before.

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top

Torker said

Marts v dub said

Correct about the tall block motor, the Mk3 should come with the 2E motor with electronic fuel injection. I'm not too clued up with the UK spec cabbys, what injection are you running? If K-jet with the injectors in the head, you won't be able to use it on the new motor where the injectors will be located in the intake manifold. Might be possible but I've never seen it done before.

This is a good point and exactly why I asked the original question.  I think its common practice to bolt the original K-jet head on to the 2L bottom end thus solving the problem.  This won't help me as I am looking to save on the expence of seperating head and block.
Is this correct?

Back to the top
Sorry I meant to mention that but it was late last night, it is common practice to bolt your k jet head onto the 2e block so as retaining all of the k jet bits. Maybe as mk1gls mentioned it maybe worthwhile checking your oil cooler as this a can be the culprit also. Otherwise you can pick a head for peanuts if yours is stuffed I just sold a ported and polished one on ebay for £45.
Best of luck.
Martin.   :thumbs:

Back to the top
yarp as above if you wanna run it on original mk1 management you'll need to change the head anyway, plus buy a tsr dizzy adaptor and swap the 2.0 gear to the old mk1 dizzy. use the 2.0 mk3 head gasket and timign belt, everythign else either mk1 if different or same parts as mk3. the oem manifold and downpipe will most likely be fine with the tallblock, its aftermarket 4 branches that give trouble usually. worst case with the oem setup can just get a spacer made up to fit between manifold and downpipe

if you want it on mk3 management then its doable but you'll need to do some wire splicing, it helps that you already have the GTI fuel system in place though

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread. 

I'm looking at doing a 2.0 build using a Mk1 1.8 head, I've currently got a 1.6 running kjet but have a couple of questions. Are all Mk3 head gaskets the same and what clutch, flywheel and gearbox combination do I need? 

Cheers
Dave

Back to the top
you'll need a 2.0 8v or 16v head gasket, theres a fibre and a steel one available either will be fine.

i would recommend you get a 210mm flywheel, the 1.6 will be 200 originally. it may be ok but while its apart id go fir the biggest clutch available. then you use a mk1/2 1.8 210mm clutch kit, and the old 1.6 gearbox will fit straight on.

Back to the top
Top information. I'll get some wanted adds up for a head and flywheel then. 

Checked my block this morning and it starts AAD which I don't seem to be able to find anything on. Once I've got a few parts together I'll start a thread or document the build in my cars thread.

Back to the top
are you reading the right one? it should be on a flat machiend plate just above the oil filter housing between cylinders 3 and 4 :) if the original timing belt cover is fitted its on a sticker on top o that too

Back to the top
Yea that's where I've read it from, unfortunately I've only got the block as pictured below;

Back to the top
Turns out it is an Audi engine.

Back to the top
aha so it is, exactly the same as a 2e MK3 golf lump, just with some different bits bolted to the outside. looks liek most of the parts are now VW, though the oil filter housing looks liek it may be audi one, or its just the angle

Back to the top
Currently searching for a head, just wondering though. Will my 1.6 inlet and exhaust manifolds be ok on the 1.8 head or will I need 1.8 parts?

Can't seem to get any kind of response from TSR regarding their blanking plates and dizzy adapter.

Back to the top
same fitment on the head 1.5-1.8 8v :)

only trouble is with a 4 branch you may yhave issues with clearance due to the 2.0 lump being taller, the oem systems should fit fine though

Back to the top
Awesome, thought I'd seen mention that the 1.6 had smaller exhaust diameters.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.