Skip navigation

1981 MK1 Golf Gti Project Originality!

Back to the top
Hope its not a lost cause  and your mate can sort it

Back to the top
Oh it's definitely not a lost cause.  If I had a garage where I could crack on of an evening and know that is staying nice and dry whilst being worked on, then i'd definitely give it a go.  Sometimes you've just got to know when it's not meant to be!

Back to the top

Hammond0 said

Oh it's definitely not a lost cause.  If I had a garage where I could crack on of an evening and know that is staying nice and dry whilst being worked on, then i'd definitely give it a go.  Sometimes you've just got to know when it's not meant to be!

Build a garage! Or at least a car port/temp structure. Even if you build it around the car and take it down again after.
I nearly moved house just to get a bigger garage to rebuild mine!

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
Sold to the man who turned up in a very original Corrado G60, and has a workshop space and a family full of mechanics and bodyshop types.  So happy it's going to live and not be broken!!  Just means I have to find a new project now!!

Back to the top
At least you knew where to draw the line and made the right decision - for the car's sake!

Good luck in your continued search!

Will you still be looking for a MK1 Golf?

Back to the top
Sorry to hear you had to sell.  :(

By the sounds of it another good guy has got it and no doubt it will be back to its glory some day.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Yeah it's gone to a good home, and I basically got back what it cost me, so no harm done.  He will give it love it needs, and has the facilities to do so, which is the one thing that scuppered me (I'd have gone for it with a garage!).

Am I on the lookout for another MK1?  I don't know!  I had an MX5 before, bought the Golf whilst looking generally, but didn't have time to get attached to it.  I think i'll keep my eyes open and see what comes up!
There are too many online users to list.