Skip navigation

G60 16V Tin Top GTi

Back to the top
Same clocks as mine, out of a mk2 16V though and I added white dials. I spent quite a lot of time cutting off the mk2 mounts and grafting on the mk1 ones so that it fits perfectly in the dash.
Looking great so far - I bet you cannot wait to start the assembly !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Good choice. Not cheap but mine had std pistons and stacked gasket when I got it but it didn't last. 

Went for Wossner low comp on the rebuild. Makes sense while you're spending the money if you want power and reliability

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

GeeBee said

I'm going with Wossner Pistons.
Sorry having some pic issues..  :$

What trouble you having ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
All good now Ade
It doubled one picture so I just deleted it. 

Last edit: by GeeBee

Back to the top
Have you decided if your going to stick with the digi ecu or are you opting for aftermarket? 

Back to the top
I'm going with the chipped digi ecu I've bought from JMR John Mitchell racing

He ran this in his 2.0 16v G60 Corrado
With no problems. If how ever it starts giving me trouble I'll look into changing it.

Back to the top
JMR have done a bit more to my 16v G60
Fitted the Pistons and oil/water pump. Lighten and balanced fly wheel and schrick sump.
Couple of pics of the HRT inlet manifold

I'm going to run my alternator underneath my supercharger again something that John has foreseen . Something like this generic picture..I think it looks neater and not much belt slack either.

Back to the top
 How did your manifold line up? My Bar-tek manifold was woeful!. Lots of slop on the mounting bolts and even with it mounted on dowls and centralised it still didn't fit right.
  I like your alternator positioning,  it is a long run of belt with it mounted at the back isn't it.  I'd imagine it's going to be tight for space at the front. Are you going to be using a twin pass intercooler then?. Cracking build :)

Last edit: by daniboy123

Back to the top
That looks awesome.

What kit have you got there for the serpentine belt tensioner arrangement and alternator bracket (assuming you didn't design and make it all yourself?)

Does it all fit OK around the engine mount?

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments :)  JMR haven't properly fitted my inlet manifold yet as the head is away being ported.

As for alternator! O_oWill update more soon.

Back to the top
I do not think that you will have enough room for the alternator belt and pulley setup.

This is how close my plate comes to the chassis leg, your tensioner arrangement is different but the pulleys will still run at the same point as the position of the G60 charger pulley determines that.

IMG_0635.jpg

I think that you are going to need to move the alternator inwards to line up with the G60 serp belt and run a slightly longer belt

I am not sure that the water pump pulley is too small as well and will run it too fast causing premature failure, this is the water pump pulley that I have, excuse the dirt !! I was after I pulled last time:

IMG_0954.jpg

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
that alternator wont work there in a mk1, and i think your tensioner is going to foul the engine mount,have you trial fitted it?

Back to the top
 It's certainly going to be tight down there! You may need to adjust your front cross member to squeeze it in.
  I'd defenately recommend a trial fit before spending lots more time and money on it only to realise its not going to work as you wanted it too when you finally come to fit it. Its a hard decision to make as it feels like your going back on yourself but worth doing now.  Had i not done it myself i know for sure the engine would have had to come out again whilst i made a few changes to things. This would have been with a freshly painted engine bay too and id have scratched the hell out of it knowing my luck :)
  Another potential issue is that the serpentine belt has very little contact with the water pump with that set-up, something to bear in mind.
  This is by no means meant to undermine all your efforts so far but just wanted to share my experiences with you.
  Looking forwards to seeing you progress with it. Its great to see another 16vg60 conversion taking shape.

Last edit: by daniboy123

Back to the top
If you need any help with fitting your alternator at the bottm then give me a shout. I've already mocked mine up and its not too difficult to be honest. It fits perfect, no clearance issues at all but you will need to run a twin pass intercooler as I've yet to figure a way to run the 180 outlet and the alternator down there…

In fact, take a nosey at my old build thread for pics on how to do it, I've not updated it in ages, lots has happened since the last update…

Link is in my signiture

Back to the top
JMR Have asured me that the alternator will work with his set up as he has done this many times on other builds. I have no doubt in there ability.
Cheers laughingboy
If I'm in trouble I'll send you a message..
The build is coming along nicely now..
More pics..

Back to the top
Bit more of an update

Finished off my custom cam cover with VHT wrinkle paint and detailed it my the same colour as my car..

Back to the top
John`s been busy as the Engines all complete now!! :wub:Im very pleased with the work so far JMR have done me proud..

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Back to the top
Engine looks great, especially that rocker cover  :wub:

does one belt turn all four pulleys or is the charger seperate?

matt

Back to the top
Thanks pazwaa

I believe its going on all four pulleys. The alternator has a clutch so will only spin when needed..

Back to the top
Happy days..
Engines going in the bay 2nd of March 
 :P
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.