Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top
Yeh something like klockerholm mate aye, they're decent like! Yesterday I tacked in that inner scuttle panel and offered up the new scuttle panel I got from heritage, not the best of fits like it's quite flat rather than being curved.

Back to the top
I used some heritage door bottoms on mine and they were an ok fit, not the best though and needed some adjusting to make them fit. I only used the leading edges of them in the end and I do wonder if I'd have been better off making them myself.

Do you still have your old wheel arch tub? I will probably do my drivers rear arch this winter and it needs the inner arch as well so I was going to get the complete inner arch with the filler neck (not the complete tub). I just wondered how the inner arch was welded to the rest of the tub and how accessible it will be in the car!

Back to the top

Saulty said

I used some heritage door bottoms on mine and they were an ok fit, not the best though and needed some adjusting to make them fit. I only used the leading edges of them in the end and I do wonder if I'd have been better off making them myself.

Do you still have your old wheel arch tub? I will probably do my drivers rear arch this winter and it needs the inner arch as well so I was going to get the complete inner arch with the filler neck (not the complete tub). I just wondered how the inner arch was welded to the rest of the tub and how accessible it will be in the car!

Yeh I do I've kept it in case I need it for any reference when I weld the outer panel in. I will take some pics of it so you get and idea where the welds are pal. I made my own door edge repair panel and same for my tailgate mate

Back to the top
IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3347.JPG

Back to the top
Saulty if your fitting just the outer part of the rear inner arch I've circled where the welds are in the first pic obviously there's welds around the fuel filler hole too. If your only replacing this section I would recommend chopping the bulk of it away after drilling it from around the fuel filler hole and the outer wheel arch to gain access to the rest of the welds around the other section of the inner tub. Or if you prefer to take the whole tub out I've circled where the welds are on the whole tub then you can just pick them apart when they're both out depends what your comfortable with doing. Hope this helps mate.

Back to the top

Colley27 said

Saulty if your fitting just the outer part of the rear inner arch I've circled where the welds are in the first pic obviously there's welds around the fuel filler hole too. If your only replacing this section I would recommend chopping the bulk of it away after drilling it from around the fuel filler hole and the outer wheel arch to gain access to the rest of the welds around the other section of the inner tub. Or if you prefer to take the whole tub out I've circled where the welds are on the whole tub then you can just pick them apart when they're both out depends what your comfortable with doing. Hope this helps mate.

Thanks mate, appreciate that! :thumbs:

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Great work here. When your finished you can do my one to this standard. Don't worry I'll buy a beer ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Great work here. When your finished you can do my one to this standard. Don't worry I'll buy a beer ;)

I could be swayed by cider! 👌🏽😂

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

WOW…. that's love right there, great build thread and tip my hat to you. AMAZING…!

Keep going, can't wait to see it finished one day.

Back to the top

BirchyB0y said

WOW…. that's love right there, great build thread and tip my hat to you. AMAZING…!

Keep going, can't wait to see it finished one day.

cheers mate

Back to the top
IMG_3351.JPG IMG_3352.JPG IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3354.JPG IMG_3356.JPG IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3359.JPG IMG_3360.JPG

Cleaned off the inside of the bulk head repair and treated the area and finished off welding in the inner scuttle. Then I moved onto the rear floor section as I've got a new wheel well to fettle to get in place so needed it all cleaning up ready for it to drop in. 

Back to the top
IMG_3416.JPG IMG_3417.JPG IMG_3418.JPG

Decided to change the rear suspension turret on the passenger side for the price of it £20 it seemed daft not to, it was klockenholm the same panels as I've used previous but was slightly out of shape but nothing too major that can't be rectified. As you can see the sand blaster obviously can't get everywhere so wanted to put some fresh metal in. 
Also made a repair panel for around the heater matrix in the engine bay.

Back to the top
IMG_3426.JPG
When putting the repair panel in tonight around the heater matrix I noticed there was some rust under the wiper motor bracket so took that off and made a repair piece up for it. All welded back up and waiting to clean to bracket up and treating before putting back on.

Back to the top
Great metalwork, the shell will be like new soon  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks pazwaa, hopefully keep the old girl going another 30 odd years 😄

Back to the top
IMG_3431.JPG IMG_3432.JPG IMG_3433.JPG

Finished off the grinding for the pieces I made for around the heater matrix then set about the roof with some new fibre purple strip and clean wheels I got for the grinder and then treated the whole roof with hydrate 80. I think I'm going to plate the roof up and do away with the sunroof as they are nothing but trouble.

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Personally as that is an original factory fit I would keep it. If it was aftermarket glass then agree plate them if you can.

Back to the top
I removed mine, to me it's just waiting to fail again and rot the shell from the inside. Again  O_o

I welded mine up, just need to do it slowly over a long period to avoid warping the roof.

Matt

Back to the top
It's factory fitted but it's started to rot from the inside and would rather have a solid motor and not have to worry about it leaking as it will like near enough all sunroofs do at some point when the seals or drains fail

Back to the top
IMG_3435.JPG IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3438.JPG

After the universe not wanting me to work on the golf today with everything going wrong or breaking finally got some graft done cleaned up the last two wheelarches, ground a few bits off from previous jobs and cut the sunroof off.
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.