Skip navigation

Need gearbox, what options do I have?

Back to the top
Hi
Think I have sourced a box. Think it is from a mk3 so just want to confirm that it will work?

The code is:

020 301 107H
191 199 351

I know I will have to swap the flanges over.

As well as the flanges the bracket that mounts to the body is different.
Can I simply swap the brackets over as well??

Many thanks

Back to the top
you need the box code off the flat plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, those are just part numbers for the various castings :)

you'll have to unbolt the mk2/3 brackets and linkage bits if still fitted and check the holes/studs for the mk1 mounts are present:
020Mount

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

you need the box code off the flat plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, those are just part numbers for the various castings :)

you'll have to unbolt the mk2/3 brackets and linkage bits if still fitted and check the holes/studs for the mk1 mounts are present:
020Mount

Hi mate
On the plate:

2Y 12079

Mean anything!?

Cheers

Back to the top
thats a mk2 16v box :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

thats a mk2 16v box :)

Hi
Is that a good thing?

The bracket has been swapped over but I have noticed the the pluf gor the MFA is different.

I think the new one has a 2 pin plug where as the original is a multi type plug.

Is there a way around this?

Cheers

Back to the top
Info on gearboxes and what sort of switches fitted near the bottom of the page, not sure if you can connect up the MFA to the gearbox?
020 GEAR RATIOS

Reversing light switch
Reverse Wiring

I'm stuck the other way around to you, I have just the reversing light switch fitted to my car but have a gearbox to go in with the MFA switch, the gearbox will eventually go into my brothers car next year which has the MFA from the gearbox otherwise we could of swopped.:) 

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
16v box is a good sporty number, same as 8v gti mk2 ratio wise except it has a shorter 5th. better for acceleration but not so great for cruising on the motorway, theres not a massive amount in it mind.

without the multi pin plug the analogue mpg gauge and shiftlight wont work properly, you can have one or the other but not both.  If you short the 5th gear pin the mpg gauge will work all the time but no shift light, if you dont short this wire you'll have shift light but no mpg gauge. if you feel handy you could add a switch to the bottom of the gearstick maybe ;)

Back to the top
ive got a mk2 16v box here for sale with a brand new luk clutch kit and flywheel

does have 100mm flanges but you could always change them with the ones you currently have? I know you where after a bolt in box but for £125…..

Back to the top

rubjonny said

16v box is a good sporty number, same as 8v gti mk2 ratio wise except it has a shorter 5th. better for acceleration but not so great for cruising on the motorway, theres not a massive amount in it mind.

without the multi pin plug the analogue mpg gauge and shiftlight wont work properly, you can have one or the other but not both.  If you short the 5th gear pin the mpg gauge will work all the time but no shift light, if you dont short this wire you'll have shift light but no mpg gauge. if you feel handy you could add a switch to the bottom of the gearstick maybe ;)

Hi
Just having a look at getting this MK2 16V box fitted.

The clutch friction plate in not right.

It appears the main input shaft on the box is slightly larger than it is on the original box.

This means that the input shaft will not fit/locate into the clutch friction plate.

The friction plate is 210mm with 24 teeth. There must be a diff friction plate that is the same diameter but with a larger hole on the centre for this box??

Many thanks mate

Back to the top

TROOPER88 said

rubjonny said

Hi
Just having a look at getting this MK2 16V box fitted.

The clutch friction plate in not right.

It appears the main input shaft on the box is slightly larger than it is on the original box.

This means that the input shaft will not fit/locate into the clutch friction plate.

The friction plate is 210mm with 24 teeth. There must be a diff friction plate that is the same diameter but with a larger hole on the centre for this box??

Many thanks mate

Just had a look online and it seems that what I need is a 210mm friction plate BUT with the 28 teeth centre?

Do you know if you can but just the friction plate or do I have to buy the whole kit? Seems a shame as all I need Is the plate

Cheers

Back to the top
yeah you need a mk2 16v clutch kit, like i said on the 1st page in my 2 first replies ;)

If you can find the friction disc on its own it'll work fine with the 8v pressure plate. someone may do you a swap, or may just be worth keepign the 8v stuff for spares

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.