Skip navigation

Need gearbox, what options do I have?

Back to the top
Hi
Unfortunately it looks like I need a replacement gearbox for my restoration.

Although I could select gears well with the engine off, as soon as it is running, gear selection becomes very, very difficult.

I have just removed the gearbox and as I expected the clutch, pressure plate and components are all good as they are all new.

I do remember that when I drove the donor car that it was difficult to get it into gear. At the time I put this down to the linkage…….

Ok, the code one the outside of the box is: 020 301 103 H

The code inside the bell housing is: 020 301 107 E

The box is 5 speed and has the green cap on the end.

I am looking for a direct swap and not one that needs modifications to fit.

What options do I have? For example is it the same as a mk2 box??

Many thanks

Back to the top
can you check the flat plate on the bottom of the gearbox, this will tell us what code it is :)

but basically 3 things to worry about:
1. what size driveshafts have you got
2. if the box you have/get is a mk2 16v or mk3 2.0 8v, you need a mk2 16v clutch kit. if not you use a mk1/2 8v clutch kit
3. are the mk1 mount bracket holes present:
020Mount

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

can you check the flat plate on the bottom of the gearbox, this will tell us what code it is :)

but basically 3 things to worry about:
1. what size driveshafts have you got
2. if the box you have/get is a mk2 16v or mk3 2.0 8v, you need a mk2 16v clutch kit. if not you use a mk1/2 8v clutch kit
3. are the mk1 mount bracket holes present:
020Mount
Hi Mate
Just had a look and it reads:

FJ03122

Mean anything??

Cheers

Back to the top
reeto FJ box, it should have 90mm flanges then and 8v mk1/2 clutch spline size. may want to measure the shafts to double, double check but I would say its pretty unlikely someone has put 100mm shafts on then fitted a 90mm flange box with 100mm flanges swapped over!

so anyway, most mk1 boxes will work just watch out for post84 cab/rocco injection and later 1.8 carbs, and with mk2 boxes 1.6 all 90mm and early 1.8 carbs. later 1.8 carb and all gti are 100mm

as i say 1.8 16v mk2 and 2.0 8v mk3 use a larger spline on the gearbox so bear that one in mind. if you end up with 100mm box you can fit 90mm flanges but they need to be from a later car (look for the green flange seal carriers) or alternatively post-84 cab/rocco 100mm shafts

Back to the top

Back to the top
all of them will be fine, the mk2 boxes will both have 100mm flanges though, the 'VW Golf GTi Gearbox' is from a MK1 as it has the mk1 upper mount, you'll want to check the box code and the flange size.

the flanges do look like 90mm squinting at the pics but best to measure, plus you'll want to see what code it is for the ratios. it has the early mfa type reverse switch so most likely a gti one htough it could still be a formel e

Back to the top

rubjonny said

all of them will be fine, the mk2 boxes will both have 100mm flanges though, the 'VW Golf GTi Gearbox' is from a MK1 as it has the mk1 upper mount, you'll want to check the box code and the flange size.

the flanges do look like 90mm squinting at the pics but best to measure, plus you'll want to see what code it is for the ratios. it has the early mfa type reverse switch so most likely a gti one htough it could still be a formel e

Great.
I have just e-mailed the VW Golf GTi Gearbox seller asking for the codes so will let you know when I hear!

Cheers

Back to the top
Ok, one seller has just replied:

020 301 107
WWO 16

underside - 9A 19093

Any good??

Back to the top
9a ia a 1.8 gti mk1 box so thats good, just need to double check the flange sizes on your car plus on the mk1 box :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

9a ia a 1.8 gti mk1 box so thats good, just need to double check the flange sizes on your car plus on the mk1 box :)

Hi
Still have not got round to sourcing a box but have just seen this on e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Mk1-Gearbox-/331343579722?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d259dca4a

Would this be ok? It says it is from a 1.6, does that make any difference?

If all good I will drive down and collect it Monday or Tuesday.

Many thanks

Back to the top
FD is early MK1 1.6 GTI box (no MFA), so really tight ratio. awesome for acceleration but not so good for motorway cruising!
http://scirocco.org/gears/

Back to the top
Hi
Believe it or not I still have not sorted the gearbox yet!! :(

I burnt my hand very badly so have been out of action for a while.

Anyway the search goes on.

Would this be a direct fit replacement??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK1-Cabriolet-1-8-GTI-Gearbox-/251720683718?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9bb8d0c6

Thanks in advance

Back to the top

Back to the top
1st one doesnt mention code so you would want to check that

2nd one is AUG which is a mk2 GTI code so will take a 1.8 8v 210mm clutch kit. It would have had 100mm flanges originally, but what it has now you would have to check with the seller. they have been removed so thats 1 job ticked off if you needed to swap em anyway :lol:

both have been in a mk1 at some point so physically they will bolt in fine, just as always flange check and look out for the code so you know what ratios inside and which clutch it needs

Back to the top

rubjonny said

1st one doesnt mention code so you would want to check that

2nd one is AUG which is a mk2 GTI code so will take a 1.8 8v 210mm clutch kit. It would have had 100mm flanges originally, but what it has now you would have to check with the seller. they have been removed so thats 1 job ticked off if you needed to swap em anyway :lol:

both have been in a mk1 at some point so physically they will bolt in fine, just as always flange check and look out for the code so you know what ratios inside and which clutch it needs

Hi Mate
Thanks again for your expertise.

Sounds like I need to measure the clutch I have as it is brand new and don't want to buy another one….

If it is 210 I could buy the second one above and put my flanges on it…

I will check tonight!

Cheers

Back to the top
as long as the flywheel is the right one for your new clutch you can use it with the 2nd gearbox, the 1st one you'll need to check the code as if its a 16v or 2.0 8v one you have to use a 16v mk2 clutch kit and 210mm flywheel

Back to the top

Back to the top
yeah will work with a mk2 16v clutch kit and 210mm flywheel, the cups will only swap if your boxis a later one with the green seal retainer thingies:
020 Flange

75 is gettign towards the expensive side for a box you cant test

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah will work with a mk2 16v clutch kit and 210mm flywheel, the cups will only swap if your boxis a later one with the green seal retainer thingies:
020 Flange

75 is gettign towards the expensive side for a box you cant test

How about this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK1GTI-020-GEARBOX-/291321355802?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43d41b1e1a

Back to the top
that would do, it should have 90mm flanges on it

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.