Skip navigation

My Mars Red Driver 1.4 16V Long termer

Back to the top
Can't even begin to explain how much of a pain the rear shocks are, anyone who's been in my position will understand.

Rear shock bolts are absolutely seized on, no amount of impact driving or penetrating spray would budge the bolts.

Settled for a hacksaw blade in an airsaw - approx 1 hr per cut though as its so awkward!

Back to the top
What a pain of a job, both sides seized up, managed to get an extra pair of hands and we had them both done in about 2 hours. New bolts and bushes, copper grease to prevent it from happening again and it's running a little bit lower than before but a nice firm ride - not crashy like it was on the busted shocks before!

I'll make sure I take some time to clean it this week and take some nice photos of the car as it sits now at the weekend - Even though there's a seemingly never ending jobs list, at least it's now driving as it should be!

Back to the top
Good looking mk1! like the engine swap!

Back to the top
Great car nice to find a AFH that's local!!

I'm in selby, but from Leeds.

You glad you went for the afh then??

Are you using the gti front brake setup?

Great idea for the boot floor

Looking good

Back to the top
Not looking forwards to this job! Good shout on the copper grease.

Back to the top

heartagram said

Not looking forwards to this job! Good shout on the copper grease.

It was a headache but nothing too difficult - just time consuming and ended up aching all over from contorting myself into the wheel arch with the hacksaw blade!

Back to the top

madmatt said

Great car nice to find a AFH that's local!!

I'm in selby, but from Leeds.

You glad you went for the afh then??

Are you using the gti front brake setup?

Great idea for the boot floor

Looking good

All along I've said the AFH was the wrong choice, I've had so many problems with mine but I reckon now it's running quite nice and driving it regular I couldn't imagine a better engine for me - I never wanted an all out monster, just something fun for blasting around town when I have a spare afternoon!

You're welcome to come for a spin if you're ever passing!

I'm using an Audi 256mm front brake set up, works nicely enough!

Back to the top
Yeah I've had to it before and it sucks. Especially when it's late at night and you only have limited amount of cheap blades.

Back to the top
Managed a couple of the jobs that had been on the list but hadn't got round to since the coilovers -

Firstly, had it booked in for an MOT - failed on a loose wheel bearing which turned out to be a loose camber bolt! All tightened up and sorted and passed nice and simple! Very happy with that result.

I had problems fitting the velocity stacks/trumpets to the carbs because they were so awkward - the CBR600 carbs don't have a fully flat face so to fit a proper air filter mount I had to get a little creative with the motorbike air box, a dremel and a PX600 mounting plate - some trimming and sealant, careful dremel work and we got fitted! Now the problem is that there's not enough room between the scuttle and the carbs to get the filter on! But I have a couple of filters from a pair of twin webers that slot over quite well and will do for now.

Next job - I have had problems with the gearbox getting extremely tight and hard to shift when it's hot - first port of call before I strip was to change the oil. It looked knackered, like chocolate milk when it came out. Very opaque like when water gets into engine oil instead of the lovely golden colour it should be!

I have an 020 box so it's a very simple procedure, drained from the 17mm drain plug at the bottom, left for a couple of hours to drain completely, then re-fit the drain plug

I removed the inspection/fill plug on the side and used that as a gauge for filling and topped up with fresh oil through the speedo hole - using a custom made tool from a length of hosepipe, a jerry can spout and a funnel. I used 2L to fill it and I'm yet to take it for a spin but fingers crossed it will improve things at least a little.

Back to the top
That engine looks great in the bay  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
The gearbox oil change made things feel a little more positive and a much better shift but it still gets really tight as it heats up - changing gear starts being a real pain after driving for about 30 minutes. Going to look for a replacement gearbox, see how much that's going to set me back…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.